VOGONS

Reply 20 of 44, by TMiN

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
red-ray wrote on 2020-12-28, 09:26:
Thank you for the update and in truth I was half expecting the rebuild would not make the issue go away. Where did the board com […]
Show full quote
TMiN wrote on 2020-12-28, 03:35:

I did re-run the SIV Xmas-2 release without any PCI/AGP devices with BIOS defaults. Still hung on "cpu-timer" but that seems to be par for this course/MB.

Thank you for the update and in truth I was half expecting the rebuild would not make the issue go away. Where did the board come come and can you return it as faulty and get a refund?

I can't figure out why [cpu-timer] hangs up, when it does this is SIV using 100% of the CPU time? Can you use Windows Task Manager to force a dump to be generated? If it happened on one of my systems I could easily find out what is happening by running SIV from the MSVC6 remote debugger, but I guess you don't have MSVC6 at all.

Have you had a chance to try doing [Save Local] using 5.55 Xmas-02 on the HP NetServer?

Yes, it hangs at "CPU-TIMER" while pinning the CPU @ 100%. I ran the 5.55 Xmas-02 on the NetServer however, I wasn't able to get a dump of the process. Apparently that was introduced to WTM in the Vista days, I couldn't find a compatible version of sysinternals procdump.exe either that works with 2000. I've attached the updated run files regardless.

I've since reached out the the seller of the TUSL2 to see if some kind of compensation can be had. Fingers crossed.

Attachments

Reply 21 of 44, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TMiN wrote on 2020-12-28, 23:44:

Yes, it hangs at "CPU-TIMER" while pinning the CPU @ 100%. I ran the 5.55 Xmas-02 on the NetServer

Good luck with the ASUS TUSL2 return and thank you for the HP NetServer save files, it's very strange SIV also spins on that system. I just checked my MSI MS-6135 system running Windows 2000 SP4 and that does not loop. I looked at the code and my current theory is that there is something strange about the ACPI timer so I have created the special test SIV which should trace what is happening.

Please do a [Save Local] using the attached SIV32L 5.55 Loop-02 which should create SIV_DBGOUT.log, assuming it does post it.

Last edited by red-ray on 2020-12-29, 21:57. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 22 of 44, by TMiN

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
red-ray wrote on 2020-12-29, 10:57:
TMiN wrote on 2020-12-28, 23:44:

Yes, it hangs at "CPU-TIMER" while pinning the CPU @ 100%. I ran the 5.55 Xmas-02 on the NetServer

Good luck with the ASUS TUSL2 return and thank you for the HP NetServer save files, it's very strange SIV also spins on that system. I just checked my MSI MS-6135 system running Windows 2000 SP4 and that does not loop. I looked at the code and my current theory is that there is something strange about the ACPI timer so I have created the special test SIV which should trace what is happening.

Please do a [Save Local] using the attached SIV32L 5.55 Loop-02 which should create SIV_DBGOUT.log, assuming it does post it.

Thanks. If yourself or anyone else has any recommendations for another Tualatin options besides the TUSL2 series, I'm all ears.

Here are three successful runs with captures, with a reboot in-between for good measure. No hangs or CPU pegging at all.

Attachments

Reply 23 of 44, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TMiN wrote on 2020-12-29, 16:45:

If yourself or anyone else has any recommendations for another Tualatin options besides the TUSL2 series, I'm all ears.

Here are three successful runs with captures, with a reboot in-between for good measure. No hangs or CPU pegging at all.

Most of the i815 chipset Tualatin systems I have tested SIV on had ASUS TUSL2 -C with your TUSL2 was the first time I had tested on that board, but I don't know which one is the best option.

Thank you for running the tests and the new save files. As I guessed the ACPI timer is strange, the elapsed time was reported as 469.697 when it should have been about 1.000 seconds! Are there any SIV_DBGOUT.log files? If so please post them as these should help me understand what is strange about the ACPI timer.

Reply 24 of 44, by TMiN

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
red-ray wrote on 2020-12-29, 21:53:
TMiN wrote on 2020-12-29, 16:45:

If yourself or anyone else has any recommendations for another Tualatin options besides the TUSL2 series, I'm all ears.

Most of the i815 chipset Tualatin systems I have tested SIV on had ASUS TUSL2 -C with your TUSL2 was the first time I had tested on that board, but I don't know which one is the best option.

Thank you for running the tests and the new save files. As I guessed the ACPI timer is strange, the elapsed time was reported as 469.697 when it should have been about 1.000 seconds! Are there any SIV_DBGOUT.log files? If so please post them as these should help me understand what is strange about the ACPI timer.

I checked and there weren't any log files. Sorry.

Reply 25 of 44, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TMiN wrote on 2020-12-29, 23:22:

I checked and there weren't any log files.

Thank you for checking. I have now released SIV 5.55 Beta-02 so please use that rather than the test SIVs. I noticed the HP NetServer has an ASUS AS99127 so adjusted Beta-02 to report it, do you now see the SIO sensors and do they look to be correct to you? Do any other utilities report them and if so does SIV report the same values?

I am still wondering about the ACPI Timer, from a command window please do SIV32L -DBGCPU > SIV_DBGOUT.log | MORE then a Menu->File->Save Local which should generate the trace.

Do any utilities manage to report the DIMM SPD data? Looking at Menu->System->SMB Bus it's not there so I guess there may be an SMBus multiplexor which I need find out how to support.

Reply 26 of 44, by TMiN

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
red-ray wrote on 2020-12-30, 08:47:
Thank you for checking. I have now released SIV 5.55 Beta-02 so please use that rather than the test SIVs. I noticed the HP NetS […]
Show full quote

Thank you for checking. I have now released SIV 5.55 Beta-02 so please use that rather than the test SIVs. I noticed the HP NetServer has an ASUS AS99127 so adjusted Beta-02 to report it, do you now see the SIO sensors and do they look to be correct to you? Do any other utilities report them and if so does SIV report the same values?

I am still wondering about the ACPI Timer, from a command window please do SIV32L -DBGCPU > SIV_DBGOUT.log | MORE then a Menu->File->Save Local which should generate the trace.

Do any utilities manage to report the DIMM SPD data? Looking at Menu->System->SMB Bus it's not there so I guess there may be an SMBus multiplexor which I need find out how to support.

Perhaps I could get some results to report with CPUID/CPU-Z and HWiNFO32. I'll have a look.

Reply 27 of 44, by TMiN

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
red-ray wrote on 2020-12-30, 08:47:
Thank you for checking. I have now released SIV 5.55 Beta-02 so please use that rather than the test SIVs. I noticed the HP NetS […]
Show full quote

Neither HWinfo32 nor CPU-Z appeared to report SPD info. I've attached the log from HWINFO32 and SIV32L 5.55B02 captures.

Attachments

Reply 28 of 44, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TMiN wrote on 2020-12-31, 03:52:

Neither HWinfo32 nor CPU-Z appeared to report SPD info.

Thank you for checking things out and posting the new SIV save files. This time the ACPI timer worked as expected with the elapsed time being 1.016 seconds.

I suspected HWiNFO32 + CPU-Z would also fail to report the SPD and feel it would be worth trying AIDA64. Did HWiNFO32 report the ASUS AS99127 on it's sensors panel? If not and you post the .DBG file to HWiNFO support of vintage hardware I suspect Martin may adjust it.

I think you put SIV32L.exe into C:\SIV\, but looking at Menu->Help->Lookup none of the other files were there. Ideally all the files from SIV32L.zip should be there. I just spotted I attached SIV32L.exe when I meant to attach SIV32L.zip!

Reply 29 of 44, by TMiN

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
red-ray wrote on 2020-12-31, 08:24:
Thank you for checking things out and posting the new SIV save files. This time the ACPI timer worked as expected with the elaps […]
Show full quote
TMiN wrote on 2020-12-31, 03:52:

Neither HWinfo32 nor CPU-Z appeared to report SPD info.

Thank you for checking things out and posting the new SIV save files. This time the ACPI timer worked as expected with the elapsed time being 1.016 seconds.

I suspected HWiNFO32 + CPU-Z would also fail to report the SPD and feel it would be worth trying AIDA64. Did HWiNFO32 report the ASUS AS99127 on it's sensors panel? If not and you post the .DBG file to HWiNFO support of vintage hardware I suspect Martin may adjust it.

I think you put SIV32L.exe into C:\SIV\, but looking at Menu->Help->Lookup none of the other files were there. Ideally all the files from SIV32L.zip should be there. I just spotted I attached SIV32L.exe when I meant to attach SIV32L.zip!

I didn't see ASUS AS99127 reported, no. I have attached the reports/outputs of AIDA64, HWINFO and SIV32L (latest build from .zip) below.

Attachments

• Filename
    SIV32L-NY2021.zip
    File size
    381.92 KiB
    Downloads
    35 downloads
    File comment
    AIDA64, HWINFO, SIV32L captures
    File license
    CC-BY-4.0

Reply 30 of 44, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TMiN wrote on 2021-01-01, 16:55:

I didn't see ASUS AS99127 reported

Thank you for your testing and the new save files. With HWiNFO the ASUS AS99127 would be on it's Sensors rather than the Summary panel, but AIDA64 reported it as a Winbond W83782D which has an ID of 0x30, but on your system the ID is 0x31 which AFAIK is an ASUS AS99127. I suspect this is why AIDA64 reported +5 V Standby 0.198 V + VBAT Battery 0.080 V, clearly both are incorrect.

AIDA64 also failed to read the DIMM SPD information and I don't think any other utilities are likely to manage this. If only we had the HP NetServer E 800 schematics...

By looking at the other reports I made some adjustments and released SIV 5.55 Beta-03, how does it look to you please?

Have you had any luck with returning the ASUS TUSL2 for a refund and getting a replacement?

Reply 31 of 44, by TMiN

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
red-ray wrote on 2021-01-01, 21:18:
Thank you for your testing and the new save files. With HWiNFO the ASUS AS99127 would be on it's Sensors rather than the Summar […]
Show full quote
TMiN wrote on 2021-01-01, 16:55:

I didn't see ASUS AS99127 reported

Thank you for your testing and the new save files. With HWiNFO the ASUS AS99127 would be on it's Sensors rather than the Summary panel, but AIDA64 reported it as a Winbond W83782D which has an ID of 0x30, but on your system the ID is 0x31 which AFAIK is an ASUS AS99127. I suspect this is why AIDA64 reported +5 V Standby 0.198 V + VBAT Battery 0.080 V, clearly both are incorrect.

AIDA64 also failed to read the DIMM SPD information and I don't think any other utilities are likely to manage this. If only we had the HP NetServer E 800 schematics...

By looking at the other reports I made some adjustments and released SIV 5.55 Beta-03, how does it look to you please?

Have you had any luck with returning the ASUS TUSL2 for a refund and getting a replacement?

Thankfully, I did get a partial refund for the flaky TUSL2. I found another one on eBay, this time a "-c" variant. It's coming from Eastern Europe to Canada, so it'll be a while before I can test it.

I double checked the "sensors" on HWINFO and it's similarly reporting it as Winbond, not ASUS.

Latest SIV run is attached. Log file is "0" bytes though.

Attachments

Reply 32 of 44, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TMiN wrote on 2021-01-02, 19:44:

Thank you all the adjustments worked as I intended. This time the ACPI Timer worked sensibly so nothing should get logged to SIV_DBGOUT.log. I am not really sure why it was strange and what has changed to make it go away.

If you do SIV32L -DBGCPU > SIV_DBGOUT.log | more then Menu->Hardware->CPU Detail->CPU Timers and leave it running for say 15 minutes is the ACPI Elapsed Time about the same as all the others?

Reply 33 of 44, by pixel_workbench

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

How are you getting files onto the machine? If you are using a USB 3 flash drive, don't do that. I found that on my several P3 and P4 machines with the ICH2 southbridge, I get file corruption when copying from from a USB 3 flash drive. A USB 2 drive works without problems.

My Videos | Website
P2 400 unlocked / Asus P3B-F / Voodoo3 3k / MX300 + YMF718

Reply 34 of 44, by TMiN

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
pixel_workbench wrote on 2021-01-03, 17:14:

How are you getting files onto the machine? If you are using a USB 3 flash drive, don't do that. I found that on my several P3 and P4 machines with the ICH2 southbridge, I get file corruption when copying from from a USB 3 flash drive. A USB 2 drive works without problems.

CD-R

Reply 35 of 44, by TMiN

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
red-ray wrote on 2021-01-02, 20:29:
TMiN wrote on 2021-01-02, 19:44:

Thank you all the adjustments worked as I intended. This time the ACPI Timer worked sensibly so nothing should get logged to SIV_DBGOUT.log. I am not really sure why it was strange and what has changed to make it go away.

If you do SIV32L -DBGCPU > SIV_DBGOUT.log | more then Menu->Hardware->CPU Detail->CPU Timers and leave it running for say 15 minutes is the ACPI Elapsed Time about the same as all the others?

Sorry for the delay. It's roughly the same, it appears to be about 0.001 sec off/min.

Reply 36 of 44, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TMiN wrote on 2021-01-09, 22:14:

It's roughly the same, it appears to be about 0.001 sec off/min.

Thank you for checking and it looks like the issue I was seeing has gone away so guess I may never know what it was happening.

I guess it's too soon for the new board to have arrived.

Reply 37 of 44, by TMiN

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
red-ray wrote on 2021-01-09, 22:35:
TMiN wrote on 2021-01-09, 22:14:

It's roughly the same, it appears to be about 0.001 sec off/min.

Thank you for checking and it looks like the issue I was seeing has gone away so guess I may never know what it was happening.

I guess it's too soon for the new board to have arrived.

Yes, I suspect the alternate board is still a couple of weeks away. For all your assistance, I'd be more than willing to just send the malfunctioning CUSL2 to you gratis to keep. Perhaps you'll be able to prevent it from seeing a landfill. It may be something very straightforward with your knowhow.

Reply 39 of 44, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TMiN wrote on 2021-01-11, 01:57:

I'd be more than willing to just send the malfunctioning CUSL2 to you gratis to keep. Perhaps you'll be able to prevent it from seeing a landfill. It may be something very straightforward with your knowhow.

I am really a software guy who can tell when hardware is faulty and used to work with hardware engineers who would fix the hardware. If it's just a short I guess I could fix it, how much would it cost to post it to England?

chrismeyer6 wrote on 2021-01-11, 02:15:

By any chance have you tried a different OS instead of 2k? Either XP pro or even a 9x just for trouble shooting?

Given what I found I this must be a hardware issue and it will be the same with XP and 9X.

red-ray wrote on 2020-12-26, 11:34:

Looking at the [Dump PCI] panels for the devices on bus 2 ([ 2 - nn - n ]) you should see that none of the values have bit-17 (0x00020000) set so I am starting to wonder if B32 AD17 Address/Data 17 is faulty, maybe it's shorted to ground. I feel it would be worth having a look for a short, better still buy a DVM and use that to compare AD16 through to AD19 with all the PCI cards removed.