VOGONS

Reply 40 of 44, by TMiN

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2021-01-11, 02:15:

By any chance have you tried a different OS instead of 2k? Either XP pro or even a 9x just for trouble shooting?

Yeah, I've also tried 98SE and XP. XP does a better job at detecting what the PCI devices are on the malfunctioning BUS. In a sense though it's worse than 2000 because XP will just hang the system trying to install the drivers automatically. Every component at this point inlcuding CPU, RAM, GPU, CPU, PSU and PCI devices have been swapped out of working systems to troubleshoot. AGP slot tests well and the system is rock solid without any PCI devices enabled. Upon my visual inspection, there doesn't appear to be anything obvious; caps look OK and traces look fine to me. The other oddity is that the onboard audio when enabled isn't even being detected at all, however, onboard video much like the AGP slot works.

Reply 41 of 44, by TMiN

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
red-ray wrote on 2021-01-11, 07:45:
I am really a software guy who can tell when hardware is faulty and used to work with hardware engineers who would fix the hard […]
Show full quote
TMiN wrote on 2021-01-11, 01:57:

I'd be more than willing to just send the malfunctioning CUSL2 to you gratis to keep. Perhaps you'll be able to prevent it from seeing a landfill. It may be something very straightforward with your knowhow.

I am really a software guy who can tell when hardware is faulty and used to work with hardware engineers who would fix the hardware. If it's just a short I guess I could fix it, how much would it cost to post it to England?

chrismeyer6 wrote on 2021-01-11, 02:15:

By any chance have you tried a different OS instead of 2k? Either XP pro or even a 9x just for trouble shooting?

Given what I found I this must be a hardware issue and it will be the same with XP and 9X.

red-ray wrote on 2020-12-26, 11:34:

Looking at the [Dump PCI] panels for the devices on bus 2 ([ 2 - nn - n ]) you should see that none of the values have bit-17 (0x00020000) set so I am starting to wonder if B32 AD17 Address/Data 17 is faulty, maybe it's shorted to ground. I feel it would be worth having a look for a short, better still buy a DVM and use that to compare AD16 through to AD19 with all the PCI cards removed.

It's not very much to ship to UK, ~$20.

Reply 42 of 44, by TMiN

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
red-ray wrote on 2021-01-09, 22:35:
TMiN wrote on 2021-01-09, 22:14:

It's roughly the same, it appears to be about 0.001 sec off/min.

Thank you for checking and it looks like the issue I was seeing has gone away so guess I may never know what it was happening.

I guess it's too soon for the new board to have arrived.

Here we go. Same hardware connected to the replacement CUSL2-C, running XP. No issues whatsoever.

Attachments

Reply 43 of 44, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TMiN wrote on 2021-01-22, 02:23:

Same hardware connected to the replacement CUSL2-C, running XP. No issues whatsoever.

I am pleased to see you got the TUSL2-C board and thank you for checking out SIV on it. All looks as I would expect which confirms there is a hardware issue with the TUSL2.

Looking at Menu->Hardware->CPU Detail->CPU Timers all looks good and I am starting to wonder if the intermittent issue with it on the old board was another manifestation of the issue with bit-17 (0x00020000) on PCI bus 2.

Reply 44 of 44, by TMiN

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
red-ray wrote on 2021-01-22, 09:37:
TMiN wrote on 2021-01-22, 02:23:

Same hardware connected to the replacement CUSL2-C, running XP. No issues whatsoever.

I am pleased to see you got the TUSL2-C board and thank you for checking out SIV on it. All looks as I would expect which confirms there is a hardware issue with the TUSL2.

Looking at Menu->Hardware->CPU Detail->CPU Timers all looks good and I am starting to wonder if the intermittent issue with it on the old board was another manifestation of the issue with bit-17 (0x00020000) on PCI bus 2.

Thanks for the support along the way.