VOGONS

First post, by fool

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

While reading thread Merry Christmas everyone and have you ever lost something in your computer stash ? I was pondering this topic. Couple of cards is like a piece of cake, but how about hundreds of video cards, CPUs, motherboards and so on...?

Personally I have collected several old motherboard boxes for video and other expansion cards. All good working cards are single in ESD bag, antistatic bubble wrap in between layers to avoid mechanical damage. The problems is that I don't have any bookkeepping what box contains what, so usually I have to poke aroung a lot to find the specific card. Some motherboards are also in boxes, two or three boards on top of each other. Actually I don't like this method because of possible twisting. Larger quantity of ATX boards are in plastic box vertically leaning on each other - not so useful anyway. This motherboard stash is the most interesting matter where I need some ideas... For CPU's I use large low profile carton box with black EPA foam on the bottom. This works moderately as long as I don't drop it!

All the valuable better cards I keep in builds. Storaging complete builds is quite hard as well. Old AT-cases are mainly "boxy" what allows stacking two or three. I have put some bubble wrap in between to avoid scratches. Yet my storage condition is warm and dry, it's just of out space.

I just saw this ebay sale. This is no ad! I have nothing to do with this sale. It's well organized for such a massive collection. I'm jealous for the drawer! Luckily I'm not at this point yet with my stuff. I would get an eviction/divorce way before...
https://www.ebay.de/itm/Konvolut-PC-Notebook- … XkAAOSwaKxeqYmK

Can you share your inventions how to store and preserve valuable electronics?

Toshiba T8500 desktop
SAM/CS9233 Wavetable Synthesizer daughterboard
Coming: 40-pin 8MB SIMM kit, CS4232 ISA wavetable sound card

Reply 1 of 18, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Mine is simple. Motherboards are in Anti static bags, some in original or postal type mailing boxes, many stored vertically on shelving (and have never had a warp or other issue).
Video, sound cards, HD controllers, NICs, etc all in anti static bags in original or other small labeled boxes.

That is quite a collection for sale ! Not worth 142k to me but someone may think it is....

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2 of 18, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Motherboards are in antistatic bags, inside postal boxes. Graphics cards are loose (packed very tightly) in comic storage boxes. Soon to be moved into antistatic bags and suitably sized boxes. CPUs are mostly catalogued now, and will be going into trays soon for easier storage abd access (they have been in 8 6.5 litre crates and a few boxes - going to need lots more trays 😀 Cases are in a cupboard, waiting to be populated. Everything else is organised into about 9 more comic storage boxes. Enough altogether to fill a medium sized van.

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 3 of 18, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Most accessed to like this.
Others in the basement in cardboard boxes, stored vertically in antistatic bags + some cushioning layer between and under.
Another few in shoe boxes. Vid cards I don't have many so a big shoe box is enough. Cpus in plastic boxes in smaller cardboard boxes

Attachments

• IMG_20201225_192825.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_20201225_192825.jpg
    File size
    1.75 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

PC#1 Pentium 233 MMX - 98SE
PC#2 PIII-1Ghz - 98SE/W2K

Reply 4 of 18, by adalbert

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't have retail boxes for most hardware (and I'm not interested in buying/collecting boxed stuff), so I pack everything pretty densely. I recently started using ESD shielding bags with internal bubble wrap layer. They are very good, much stiffer and stronger than regular bubble wrap or regular ESD bag (https://www.weidinger.eu/en/p/wl20958)
Cost is higher than regular bags, but I bought larger sized ones in bulk for a good price and cut them into smaller pieces with heat sealer.

I just throw the hardware in envelopes into boxes, I don't need to be too careful thanks to that bubble wrap layer. I store motherboards and expansion cards that way.

A downside is that you can barely see through these bags (a flashlight helps), so I think that i will print tags with model name for every bag.

Attachments

• IMAG2950.jpg
    Filename
    IMAG2950.jpg
    File size
    716.34 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Repair/electronic stuff videos: https://www.youtube.com/c/adalbertfix
ISA Wi-fi + USB in T3200SXC: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WX30t3lYezs
GUI programming for Windows 3.11 (the easy way): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6L272OApVg

Reply 6 of 18, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Had everything cleaned up a few months back, but of course things got messy again, 🤣. It's a never ending battle. I've had quite a few projects going on and a constant stream of parts arriving.

Here's how my stuff is stored.. for now, until it gets organized a little better.

eDQf3dv.jpg

LqeU0Ry.jpg

VgXg1Op.jpg

gGDwPLI.jpg

wjWYhMA.jpg

CaaHB4B.jpg

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 7 of 18, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

In marked cardboard boxes. I don't bother with anti static bags unless it is something I deem important. The stuff I've killed by static over 40 years I can count on less than five fingers.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 8 of 18, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Caluser2000 wrote on 2020-12-26, 14:54:

In marked cardboard boxes. I don't bother with anti static bags unless it is something I deem important. The stuff I've killed by static over 40 years I can count on less than five fingers.

Well here where I live we have the dreaded East Winds a few times a year that drop humidity to less than 10%, all other times it runs 50-100%.
So just for those few months a year I do use the anti-static bags on all motherboards. Have boxes of the other stuff not in bags but those are still cheap to replace.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 10 of 18, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

All good working cards are single in ESD bag

ESD protection bags are rarely required if your stuff just sits in a box without moving anywhere.

Well here where I live we have the dreaded East Winds a few times a year that drop humidity to less than 10%

Which is still not enough to be really concerned with ESD.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 11 of 18, by hwh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

All my hardware would have been trash many years ago if ESD was a major issue. Frankly, a lot of hardware is surprisingly durable. Humidity fails to kill a lot of it.

The first computer I rescued was a 386 that had been sitting out in the rain for ...? Days? Weeks? Worked like nothing had happened.

Reply 12 of 18, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
hwh wrote on 2020-12-31, 04:44:

The first computer I rescued was a 386 that had been sitting out in the rain for ...? Days? Weeks? Worked like nothing had happened.

I used to open up old PCs (before my collecting got out of hand) and hose them down in the shower. I let them dry off for a few days before then testing them to pass on to others. Some had 15 or 20 years of dust in them.

Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 13 of 18, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Caluser2000 wrote on 2020-12-26, 14:54:

I do have a few anti-static bags and CMOS mats,
but most cards here are wrapped in old news paper and card board boxes.
It's not ideal, I guess, but so far the stuff hasn't taken any damage from it.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 14 of 18, by vmr_

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Any tips on best place to store the boxes?
1. Attic - cold in the winter, could get hot in the summer?
2. basement - not ideal, but if sealed in plastic boxes...
3. under the bed? 😀
4. anywhere in the house, but at room temperature

Last edited by Stiletto on 2021-01-04, 01:18. Edited 2 times in total.

Retro builds & sandbox
IBM XT 5160 | 286 | 386 | 486 | S4 SI5PI AIO & S4 Batman + P60 SX828
S8 & PPro 200 | SS7 FW 5VGF & Asus P5A & AOpen AX59PRO K6-III+ 550MHz
Asus K7M Athlon 1Ghz GDF | Abit SH6 Pentium III 1GHz SL4KL...

Reply 15 of 18, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I store everything at room temperature - for me that means minimum 20C (but warmer in summer as I have no ac). Never below 20C even on winter nights. I'm sure storing in the cold will be fine if humidity can be controlled, as I salvaged a lot of old equipment from an unheated shed before I started collecting more than just CPUs

Reply 16 of 18, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
vmr_ wrote on 2021-01-03, 16:35:
Any tips on best place to store the boxes? 1. Attic - cold in the winter, could get hot in the summer? 2. basement - not ideal […]
Show full quote

3. under the bed? 😀

Consistent moderate temperatures at roughly 40-60% air humidity seems optimal to me, so why not just store your boxes anywhere in the house?😃

Reply 18 of 18, by fool

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
vmr_ wrote on 2021-01-03, 16:35:
Any tips on best place to store the boxes? 1. Attic - cold in the winter, could get hot in the summer? 2. basement - not ideal […]
Show full quote

3. under the bed? 😀

Roughly temperature below 14°C is bad for electronics because of tin pest. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tin_pest
Temperature in my storage room has been around 15°C which is still on the better side but no way near ideal.

What comes to ESD, that gray rubber foam thing (like tent cushion) is the worst material to protect electronics. I have made some measurements and it will pick up very high voltage levels just being on the table! ESD equipment on work bench does not protect if there are static materials. Mostly black plastic containers are better with higher conductivity but that is not always true.

Nevertheless ESD hasn't been seen as major issue with computer hardware I use only ESD bags and pink antistatic bubble wraps to be sure. I also say no to acrylic sweaters and wool socks when working with valuable hardware.

Toshiba T8500 desktop
SAM/CS9233 Wavetable Synthesizer daughterboard
Coming: 40-pin 8MB SIMM kit, CS4232 ISA wavetable sound card