VOGONS

Reply 20 of 27, by Hoping

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, it fairly stupid to run a CPU without any kind of cooling, but like the brilliant guys of tom's hardware that did the famous video, there are other ones capable of being so brilliant to do it. Slot 1 PIII didn't had any overheat protection. My girlfriend had a PIII 550 slot CPU that died because the fan died. So, for sure at least Slot PIII CPUs rely on the motherboard.

Reply 21 of 27, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well, it fairly stupid to run a CPU without any kind of cooling

That's would be scenario of unproper cooler installation. Although frying CPUs by cooler removal while running Quake 3 aren't the same thing as accidentally booting system up without one.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 22 of 27, by Hoping

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think that only punting a heat sink on top of the cpu already gives time for the motherboards to shutdown. I think that the protections of that time where only for the scenario of a fan failure. But Tualatins are newer, have a heat spreader and also the motherboards are newer. So I think it's hard to burn a Tualatin but I will not try it because I have more AMD cpus of that era.

Reply 23 of 27, by pshipkov

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just yesterday i had two Tualatins burning at 100+C for over 30 minutes because got distracted for a moment and forgot to connect their plugs.
When i came back i couldn't touch the heatsinks.
The interesting thing is that the CPUs were functioning during the fry-time.

retro bits and bytes

Reply 25 of 27, by Hoping

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

And the motherboard didn't shutdown because of overheating? Lack of protection or disabled in bios?. I remember that back then I had a Soltek SL75-KAV and enabled the shut down for cpu fan fail and the board wouldnt boot because I forgot that it had a fan speed controler and wasn't conected to the cpu fan header. That was common on that years. Before when the common motherboards started to control the fan speed.

Reply 26 of 27, by pshipkov

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

When the incident occurred the board was already running. The intention was to disconnected the fans for a moment only, but that turned into 20 or so minutes instead.
The board beeped at some point which got my attention. Turned it off immediately.
Decided to turn it on with the fans running to cool things down quicker.
Something like 2 minutes in i measured the temperature - it was 80-something C.

Obviously, i won't be verifying the temperature readings with another empirical test. 😁

retro bits and bytes

Reply 27 of 27, by Disruptor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As far as I remember, P4 cpus throttle, P3 cpus halt and can be rebooted after cooling down, and Athlon dies burn.
However, I do not know which core types and revisions are meant.