VOGONS

First post, by Duouk2000

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just wondering if its OK to run a PII 233MHz CPU with just the heatsink? I have a Celeron 333MHz CPU in my MU440EX motherboard but the fan has this high pitched whine. If I stop the fan the system is almost silent. There's no case fans attached at present but I can always add one to help keep things cool.

The heatsink seems quite chunky as per the below image but I don't want to fry anything.

Untitled.jpg

Reply 3 of 6, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

All PII can run with just a chunky heatsink if not overclocked. Many were originally shipped that way. A lot of slit 1 P3 that I have seen are also fanless.

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 4 of 6, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
debs3759 wrote on 2021-01-10, 20:43:

All PII can run with just a chunky heatsink if not overclocked. Many were originally shipped that way. A lot of slit 1 P3 that I have seen are also fanless.

I always thought that these versions of the Pentium II where only used for OEM market. And i know that Dell would use a type of fan duct system to cool passive processors.
But iam not sure if they did it the same on these Pentium II processors as well.

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 6 of 6, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeh I'd feel more comfortable with a case fan as indeed passive cooled heatsinks come from OEM systems that would have had a fan mounted close to the CPU.
As an example you can see a typical fan/shroud setup from this Dell, my Gateway was very similar.
nW8YfF3d_o.jpg

As long as the CPU has cool air passing over it I'd think it would be happy no need for big ugly passive ducting