VOGONS

Reply 60 of 120, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Okay, I think these are the fastest settings on the ram

Also, here are pics of the usb header.

All the usb stuff should be added to the motherboard documents super handy to know.

Attachments

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 61 of 120, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Also, I’ve noticed there seems to be differences here between 1.2 and 1.23

See extra header and possible different voltage options should make note of that

Attachments

• image.jpg
    Filename
    image.jpg
    File size
    1.81 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 62 of 120, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Did you improvise those pins for the USB connector, or was that a previous owner? A female USB header is a bit of a dirty trick IMO.
I was looking at photos, and to confirm, it appears that JP17 isn't present on earlier revisions of this motherboard. Maybe someone reading this might know what it's for?

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 63 of 120, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Repo Man11 wrote on 2021-01-25, 01:55:

Did you improvise those pins for the USB connector, or was that a previous owner? A female USB header is a bit of a dirty trick IMO.
I was looking at photos, and to confirm, it appears that JP17 isn't present on earlier revisions of this motherboard. Maybe someone reading this might know what it's for?

the motherboard has a female port the usb pigtail has a female port basically I got some pins and stuck em in there but a male usb pigtail would be perfect it seems the header pins you buy are a tad short and also sometimes fall in further than they are supposed to but they do the trick I need to buy a 20 pin reversing adapter that uses a plastic thing in the middle and longer pins

yeah jp 17 isn't anywhere to be found on other versions that I see I think I remember it on my old one though no idea what it's for though

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 64 of 120, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Deksor wrote on 2021-01-24, 16:19:

Meanwhile, after paying closer attention to the photos I noticed the "Iwill" logo in the silkscreen of your motherboard. So the brand is confirmed (but I'd still like a nice photo from you 😀 ), I have added each BIOS I could find here http://www.win3x.org/uh19/motherboard/show/4311
If your board has a older bios, please back it up and send it to us (you can use uniflash for that). You can probably update your motherboard's bios too since the latest version is from mid 1999.

got the old bios for ya

now to flash the new one wish me luck!

Attachments

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 65 of 120, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

well, it could have gone better

messed up flashing bios

Btw, here is the chip info to add to the motherboard documentation if you feel like it.

Attachments

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 66 of 120, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

figured out the PS/2 (kind of)

board is still down until I can flash the chip 🤣

irda infrared port on motherboard

eventually I think I will update this image with the pinouts for the front panel and irda as well.
the front panel isn't well documented you end up having to try different combinations. as you can see the usb and irda and ps/2 are totally undocumented not to mention whatever jp17 is near the southbridge..

what is jp17??? 🤣

Also, did some more testing on the M.2 NVMe on pci

Re: M.2 NVMe working on old school regular pci

Attachments

Last edited by Sphere478 on 2021-02-03, 06:16. Edited 1 time in total.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 67 of 120, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGXERfhe-Oo

it's decided windows 7 is definitely going on this build.

can't let a pentium 90 show me up!

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 68 of 120, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It’s amazing how much you can get done when the system doesn’t boot and you are waiting on parts.

Took the case apart and re did it.

Now it includes delta pfb1212uhe fans! Which I will probably never plug in, lest a hole be blown in the motherboard. But they look cool AF

Update on the bios, I should be receiving a gigabit nic card soon that I will try and use the rom socket of to re flash this bios. Also, will be receiving soon a tyan tomcat motherboard which will be a second flashing option. (Hot flash)

I think I got the ps/2 port figured out.

I want to try and mess with the phaselink fsb issue but not sure if I will get very far without the motherboard functioning. But I was thinking I may be able to map some of the jumper pins that go to the pins in question on the phase link.

I’m still quite perplexed how one jumper controls both the multiplier and cpu ratio and fear to get 83 mhz I may have to solder or de solder something.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 69 of 120, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I’ve spent the whole day trying different things to get the bios flashed again and have failed finally noticing that the tyan motherboard has a 5v chip on it and this is a 12v so it’s not giving enough voltage?

Anyway. I got windows ME to install on the tyan motherboard and finally have a floppy boot disk. Been needing one for a while.

After feeling rather defeated I have ordered a chip programmer and a floppy disk emulator. Today has taught me the importance of having bootable floppy disks and a reliable chip flashing system.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 70 of 120, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

http://vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=1769

Won’t load on my phone but this appears to be the actual manual according to someone else (something I previously haven’t been able to find)

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 71 of 120, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Got the jan bios flashed finally!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    Filename
    image.jpg
    File size
    1.46 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 73 of 120, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Am386DX-40 wrote on 2021-02-05, 17:05:

This is awesome. I wonder how it will compare to the traditional MVP3 and Aladdin V chipsets at those speeds...

Not sure. But the tx and hx were the kings of socket 7. I imagine the super socket 7 kings were better they came out some years later not to mention that some of the via ones and ali ones were able to sometimes get to 133fsb
The best I can hope for is 83mhz if I hack the clock gen on this.

Btw, I got the m.2 working on the pentium 1 motherboard. It’s the highlighted red one

Attachments

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 74 of 120, by RichB93

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Sphere478 wrote on 2021-02-05, 17:17:
Not sure. But the tx and hx were the kings of socket 7. I imagine the super socket 7 kings were better they came out some years […]
Show full quote

This is awesome. I wonder how it will compare to the traditional MVP3 and Aladdin V chipsets at those speeds...

Not sure. But the tx and hx were the kings of socket 7. I imagine the super socket 7 kings were better they came out some years later not to mention that some of the via ones and ali ones were able to sometimes get to 133fsb

Btw, I got the m.2 working on the pentium 1 motherboard. It’s the highlighted red one

I have to hand it to you, that's impressive. And I mean this in the nicest possible way... crazy stupid.

Installing an NVMe drive on a machine this slow is like attaching a V12 engine... to a food mixer.

But still, I can't deny that it's impressive that it actually works.

Reply 75 of 120, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
RichB93 wrote on 2021-02-05, 19:47:
I have to hand it to you, that's impressive. And I mean this in the nicest possible way... crazy stupid. […]
Show full quote
Sphere478 wrote on 2021-02-05, 17:17:
Not sure. But the tx and hx were the kings of socket 7. I imagine the super socket 7 kings were better they came out some years […]
Show full quote

I have to hand it to you, that's impressive. And I mean this in the nicest possible way... crazy stupid.

Installing an NVMe drive on a machine this slow is like attaching a V12 engine... to a food mixer.

But still, I can't deny that it's impressive that it actually works.

Yes. It works but only with operating systems that support it like debian 8.11.1? Whatever jessie is I think was the version and you need a bootloader to boot to it it’s still installing as we speak (internission) so it’s actually slower than onboard ide it’s running in pio mode or something. So it seems this is not a good upgrade path. Unfortunately. 🙁

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 76 of 120, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

update:
I've tried several ways to get more than 256mb of ram on this board and so far have failed
Maxing out the ram capacity on my motherboard

i've been able to get windows 7 up and running quite well actually to my surprise
Re: Windows 7 on socket 7

also looking at things to do to avoid wearing out ssds
CF, SD, SSD, etc for Win9x and WinXP

I also found out that the way to boot this board to add in cards is literally to set it to boot to C, D, E, F I thought it had to be set to scsi but no. just put the CD on the main IDE and tell the bios to boot to c and plug it in to the add in card. to my surprise DOS even sees it. I was able to copy the Windows ME setup files to the hard drive the partition I made was 32gb (1024mbx32) with 16kb cluster size fat 32 it installed just fine..

I'm still working on getting triple boot working but so far debian, windows 7 and windows ME are working by themselves but not yet in triple boot

I've given up on the m.2 nvme it basically runs in pio mode or something and is slower than heck but the promise 300 tx4 is working very well
M.2 NVMe working on old school regular pci

i have a theory about making 83mhz fsb work but I'm kinda afraid to try it I think if I lift the f2 pin off the pad on the clock gen it might put it in 83mhz async x 6x multi if i set the jumpers to the one after the cyrix jumper and the one after the one after that

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 77 of 120, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

In benchmarks I’m seeing that it looks like the best pci gfx card for some older games is the geforce 5500 but the best ever seems to be the gt610 from zotec (though I’ve heard rumors of a 730?) I’m leaning toward these two cards (at once maybe, and using one in windows 98 and the other in windows xp or windows 7 with a glide wrapper.

I know a lot has happened since you posted this, but I just want to point out that the GT610 wasn't the fastest PCI video card, but it was the last (unless the 730 exists).
The fastest was the GT430, followed by 9400GT/9500GT (whichever of those existed, maybe both), followed by the GT520/GT610 (which are really the same thing).
The 9400/9500 don't support H.264 video acceleration, and by my reading of this thread I suspect you might want to try that.
Other options with H.264 are the Geforce210 and the 8400GS.

The 8400GS are the earliest and most common PCI cards that have H.264 decoding, but there's actually 2 different GPUs in those and only the later one has H.264. I think a 512MB card is always the later GPU.
No idea if it has any chance of working without SSE, but being earlier cards probably gives them more of a chance to work than something like a 610.

Reply 78 of 120, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
shamino wrote on 2021-02-10, 00:14:
I know a lot has happened since you posted this, but I just want to point out that the GT610 wasn't the fastest PCI video card, […]
Show full quote

In benchmarks I’m seeing that it looks like the best pci gfx card for some older games is the geforce 5500 but the best ever seems to be the gt610 from zotec (though I’ve heard rumors of a 730?) I’m leaning toward these two cards (at once maybe, and using one in windows 98 and the other in windows xp or windows 7 with a glide wrapper.

I know a lot has happened since you posted this, but I just want to point out that the GT610 wasn't the fastest PCI video card, but it was the last (unless the 730 exists).
The fastest was the GT430, followed by 9400GT/9500GT (whichever of those existed, maybe both), followed by the GT520/GT610 (which are really the same thing).
The 9400/9500 don't support H.264 video acceleration, and by my reading of this thread I suspect you might want to try that.
Other options with H.264 are the Geforce210 and the 8400GS.

The 8400GS are the earliest and most common PCI cards that have H.264 decoding, but there's actually 2 different GPUs in those and only the later one has H.264. I think a 512MB card is always the later GPU.
No idea if it has any chance of working without SSE, but being earlier cards probably gives them more of a chance to work than something like a 610.

yes, I've come to learn a few things since then and what you say sounds correct but I'm having issues getting many cards to work in these boards including old cards like rage 128s something about some cards likes these boards where some don't
PCI card compatibility with old (Pentium) computers?
Best pci 2.1 non sse video card?

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 79 of 120, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Anyone know how to make a sata cd drive show up under windows ME?

I managed to play the first game on it!!
Myst!!!

I’m having issues with artifacts in windows though sometimes but only on windows ME not on windows 7 in fact I ran a stress test on the 6200 and it came back clean. So my previous theory of it being the card appears to be wrong

I’m using a 80 series driver. I suppose I could try a older one

Some of the screen savers crash when I try to run them. Something is wrong here.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    Filename
    image.jpg
    File size
    1.15 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-