VOGONS

First post, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've long thought Socket 775 was a bit boring, being cheap, reliable and modern and found everywhere. Whilst there is a wide range of CPUs on the socket there hasn't really been much point to not using an E8400 for about £3 (or a Q6600/8200 for about £8). I've never really bothered exploring the rest of the CPUs because the naming convention is fairly hard to understand and they're all dirt cheap now anyway!

To get my head around the massive and unhelpfully named CPUs on the socket, I decided to do the Super Mega Benchmark Run 9000, to compare CPUs from the wide range of series on the socket. How did CPU performance progress on the socket from 2004 to 2010?

I considered buying at a certain price point to see what performance £150 got you in 2004 and 2010, but that wouldn't allow a comparison between the different series (Celeron, Pentium etc), not to mention different prices available online on CPU-Word and Intel's Ark (RRP, per 100 units etc). In the end I settled on comparing a bunch of CPUS at one clock speed. I picked 2.6GHz as this includes the majority of the different Socket 775 CPU ranges. Here is a "mostly" complete breakdown of "native" Socket 775 CPU series', including the 9 CPUs I bought (feel free to nit-pick the table):

sbAB50j.png

• 2.667GHz Celeron D 331 (64bit stand in for the 330)
  • 2.667GHz Pentium 4 506 (64bit and later entry-model without HT)
  • 2.667GHz Pentium D 805 (later entry-model with a 533MHz FSB)
  • 2.667GHz Core2 Duo E6750 (because E6700s are surprisingly hard to find for less than throw-away money; it has a 1333MHz FSB)
  • 2.6GHz Core2 Duo E4700
  • 2.6GHz Pentium Dual-Core E5300
  • 2.667GHz Core2 Duo E7300
  • 2.667GHz Core2 Duo E8200
  • 2.6GHz Celeron E3400

The test

For this test I used a cheapo G41 board. It'll support all FSBs and the DDR3 RAM will be able to run as fast as the CPU lets it. I used 4GB DDR3 1600MHz and a SATA SSD. I used an AM2 cooler without its clips and just let its weight stick on the CPU instead of mounting and de-mounting a Socket 775 cooler. I used my ever-present GTX645 (I'm the guy that keeps banging on about the GTX 645) and through monitoring on MSI afterburner GPU utilisation didn't go over 70%

CGx9f8Gh.jpg
It came out pretty neat and tidy for work-top open benchmarking to be honest!

The benchmarks:

• 7Z Decompression
  • Cinebench R11.5
  • Crysis Demo CPU Benchmark
  • Fear 1 Benchmark
  • Fallout 3
  • Mafia 2 Benchmark

7 Zip Decompression
I decompressed a manually compressed Crysis Demo install - 1.6GB

iTpfkyY.png

Not much to say. Not a huge improvement from Conroe through to Wolfdale, with the cheeky $42 Celeron at the end putting up a good fight! I thought the E4700 and E5300 would perform worse than they did due to not being in the "flagship" Core2 series.

Cinebench R11.5
This was the CPU and not OpenGL test, obviously.

pJsiDon.png

Again, not a huge amount of progress in the Core2 era and the E4700 and E5300 hold up well.

Crysis CPU Benchmark
I set the game and benchmark to 720p Medium settings.

WsWqSMV.png

The E8200 begins to show off its cache (at a guess) here with the increased minimums and the E6750 struggling despite the 1333MHz FSB.

Fear Benchmark
I used the Medium CPU and GPU settings for this benchmark.

8dAUia1.png

Not sure what happened here with the E8200, if I was paying attention I would have re-run the test. I love seeing the Celeron E3400 destroy the older Pentium Dual Cores.

Fallout 3
This was a manual benchmark of the "Birthday Scene" in the prologue - one of the most CPU and GPU intense (but also repeatable) parts of the game. 30 second benchmark once the game had faded in measured in MSI Afterburner; 1% lows and average frame rate was measured. I had to manually disable v-sync in NVidia Control Panel, but I still seemed fairly limited to the upper 60s (not GPU bound). These games might have an engine frame rate cap of 72FPS? I ran the game at 720p and default settings.

QvYawue.png

Not a huge amount of improvement after Conroe but the little Celeron struggled a bit more here.

Mafia 2
I ran the benchmark at 720p medium settings. This was thrown in as a later game that I hoped the later CPUs would enjoy.

GmiNtWU.png

It barely ran on the single cores (as you would expect from the game requirements...) and the E8200 started to show its worth a little more here.

Aggregate scores
Two aggregates to show here (I am no mathematician)

The total minimum and average frames per second are shown below, for the 3 minimum FPS and 4 average FPS tested). It's a shame the E8200 is ruined by the FEAR score...
KBseOQe.png

The second is a ranked score. For each test I scored the CPUS 1 to 9 depending on where it placed. 1 point to the best score and 9 to the worst score, for each benchmark. This allows me to include the non-games in some way, but it assumes each score is equidistant or equally weighted... Lowest total score wins, basically.
vM3sOur.png

Conclusion

Well it turns out my prejudice against anything that isn't an E7 or E8 series is unfounded! The later Pentium Dual-Cores and cheaper E4700 appear to offer 90% of the performance of the E8200. However, it's worth remembering that the E6750 was the top of the pack, and slightly refreshed at that, whilst the E8200 is the bottom of the "full fat" E8000 series, and yet the 8200 still beats it. Of course, it's pretty pointless now, as the E8400 is cheap as chips.

The little Celeron put up a good fight too, for a $42 CPU. Who would buy it though? If you were running a Pentium 4 or something else Prescotty then your motherboard wouldn't support the CPU...

This has inspired me to buy the top (reasonably priced today) Pentium Dual Core 950, which appears to have launched for a cheese-curdling $637 (and I bought on eBay for £7), to see if the Celeron can beat it! I've also ordered a E6300, which was $183 on launch it seems.

Ryzen 3700X | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | AMD 6800XT | 2Tb NVME SSD | Windows 10
AMD DX2-80 | 16MB RAM | STB LIghtspeed 128 | AWE32 CT3910
I have a vacancy for a main Windows 98 PC

Reply 1 of 25, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The later Pentium Dual-Cores and cheaper E4700 appear to offer 90% of the performance of the E8200.

Usually they suck at overclocking due to very low FSB wall, while E8xxx can be easily pushed past 500 Mhz.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 2 of 25, by mr.cat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks. Sure it's pretty pointless if you want to buy something new to use, but sometimes it can *happen* that you just have a lot of these cpus and mobos readily available...
So it's nice to have some reference points on their performance. Even if the end result is "clocks matter, who knew" 😁

Some 775 boards can take 771 cpus with some modding:
https://www.delidded.com/lga-771-to-775-adapter/

Could maybe make a nice continuation for the tests you already have...
Well that's just an idea, and probably equally pointless 😁

Those Xeons have low clocks but they do have a lot of cache, and I guess they'd overclock pretty well.

Reply 3 of 25, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think something must've gone wrong in the FEAR test .. No way a Cel E3400 should outrun a C2D E8200 in _any_ situation?

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 4 of 25, by bakemono

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
H3nrik V! wrote on 2021-01-14, 13:01:

I think something must've gone wrong in the FEAR test .. No way a Cel E3400 should outrun a C2D E8200 in _any_ situation?

Something clearly out of whack there, and the E6750 result for Crysis also looks like it had a hiccup.

What's up with the PDC 805 Cinebench score though? It's a true dual-core with 2MB and it only beat the single-cores by that much?

again another retro game on itch: https://90soft90.itch.io/shmup-salad

Reply 5 of 25, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's a true dual-core with 2MB

Nope. All Pentium D were two CPUs glued together on one PCB. Also FSB is quite slow.

Reply 6 of 25, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Actually, the 90nm Pentium D are all single-die design. Two "glued" Prescott-1M, sure - but it is one piece of silicon.
The 65nm Pentium D 9xx series are MCM of 2 chips.

HW museum.cz - my collection of PC hardware

Reply 7 of 25, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's still true dual-core in the sense that there are two physical cores. You can see that it is ~2x fast than the P4 506 (same clock, same FSB) in certain tests, but barely faster in others.

Last edited by dr_st on 2021-01-15, 13:48. Edited 1 time in total.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 8 of 25, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

the 90nm Pentium D are all single-die design

Which are still logically "glued", i.e. separate entities which talk between each other via system bus.

Reply 9 of 25, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

a belated thanks, interesting as recently I've been on a 775 adventure!

I'll admit I'm thoroughly impressed with them for regular software, not sure about gaming as yet but any core duo seems to cope quite well with browsing (these days a demanding job for a pc when you add youtube etc!)

i recently received a celeron d system which had windows 10 on it - yes windows 10 on the single core celeron of old. It 'worked' but really wasn't up to doing anything beyond the simplest tasks. fortunately the board and 2007 bios was all ok for accepting an e4500 cpu. That's old and very much at the lower end compared to e6nn series. yet it took the machine from being barely useable to being acceptably useable.

other tests and setups i've tried for subjective assessments, none with gaming graphics cards all with 4gb ram

Celeron D - can run modern OSes but struggles constantly
Pentium D - slightly better than above, slightly..
e1200 - slowest celeron core duo: fine with lightweight linux though a little slow, cant cope with youtube over 480p
e4600 - allandale/conroe: fine with lightweight linux and can cope with youtube at 720p (and e4500 coped ok-ish with W10)
E6550 - fine with any regular OS
E8600 - the beast! ok maybe not but fine with any regular OS. this is the one that makes sense to add a modest graphics card and play 2005-2010 games on

so a 2007 PC can still be used in 2021 for 'regular' stuff if given at least a dual core (even an allendale at a pinch) and a light linux in preference to a bearable but slow windows 10.

back in 2001 we certainly would not be talking about 1987 PCs as being still useable in the same way!

Reply 10 of 25, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gerry wrote on 2021-05-12, 09:05:

back in 2001 we certainly would not be talking about 1987 PCs as being still useable in the same way!

No, that's true - the usable lifespan of the average desktop computer these days is pretty significant. Although does that say more about how impressive cpu architecture became in the 2010's, or how much we've stagnated since then?

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net

Reply 11 of 25, by Roman555

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Almoststew1990, thanks for your investigation. It's interesting to read and useful to refresh memory.
Sometimes I upgrade old i945 systems with Wolfdale CPUs. It's the cheapest way to accelerate performance 😀
It's pity that not every i945 based motherboard is capable to work even with Conroe.
P.S. Also you could try to set lower multiplier for those too fast CPUs to achieve necessary speed. Of course if the mobo and CPUs support this function.

[ MS6168/PII-350/YMF754/98SE ]
[ 775i65G/E5500/9800Pro/Vortex2/ME ]

Reply 12 of 25, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Me and my wife's computers are based around the Nforce 680i platform with 8 gigs of 1066 ddr2 and E8600's and they handle our daily everyday tasks with ease and we play GW2 and the game runs flawlessly for us. The newer C2Ds still have plenty of life left in them.

Reply 13 of 25, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
megatron-uk wrote on 2021-05-12, 13:11:
gerry wrote on 2021-05-12, 09:05:

No, that's true - the usable lifespan of the average desktop computer these days is pretty significant. Although does that say more about how impressive cpu architecture became in the 2010's, or how much we've stagnated since then?

it's an interesting point, if you look at the sheer number crunching ability of a modern 4 (or more) core CPU then it's way ahead of these old core duo CPUs. For intensive work like video encoding/decoding, simulation, games and so forth then every bit helps but for running 'desktop' software and being online it does seem that once it's good enough there isn't a huge improvement that follows getting a modern CPU, not until an intensive tasks falls to the PC anyway

unless the act of browsing becomes a complete multi media frenzy wherever you go or useful software simply refuses to run on less than 4 cores then I can see these old 775 based systems remaining useful for regular tasks for several more years at least

Reply 14 of 25, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

My dad is still using a system with a Q6600 in it.

I'll probably upgrade him to something significantly faster next time I visit him.

As for stagnation, it did kinda do that for a while, but the AMD Ryzen series has really changed that.

If you have not had the chance to play with a Ryzen 2 or higher series you have no idea what you are missing.

Even doing general tasks such as browsing web pages feels way quicker and smoother. And this is comparing to an Intel 8th gen quad core.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 15 of 25, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cyclone3d wrote on 2021-05-12, 14:57:

My dad is still using a system with a Q6600 in it.

My parents still use one with a Q8300. The s775 quad-cores can still pack a punch, especially if you use an SSD for a system drive.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 16 of 25, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Pulled a E6500 with G41 board out of use and gave friend a HP 800 G1 tower with Pentium G2120 16GB 256GB SSD, much better online and software the demand is not that much so minimal hardware is perfect.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 18 of 25, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Back in the day, I trialed P4 based celeron 2.4GHz upgrade kit at home and was not impressed, was a loan from work I used to work for, went with athlon XP other than that, 98SE on it was not stable either even all the cooling was carefully done. Once I went to Optiplex 780 with E6500, was big jump in performance with XP and stable. 780 saw three windows installations from XP-7 then windows 10. Then extended by 1 more year using Intel Pro/1000 PT network card, literally. Then had afforded to upgrade to HP Z220 and kept with it ever since few years ago.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 19 of 25, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2021-05-12, 14:06:

Me and my wife's computers are based around the Nforce 680i platform with 8 gigs of 1066 ddr2 and E8600's and they handle our daily everyday tasks with ease and we play GW2 and the game runs flawlessly for us. The newer C2Ds still have plenty of life left in them.

Interesting as my #2 machine (the one am posting from) runs a Asrock Penryn1600SLI (740/650 SLI chipset). Found a Q9650 for little back in 2015 (replaced a e8500) been running since 2008.
Works well still ! The old Nvidia chipsets do have a long life !

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun