VOGONS

First post, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It says it works for tax card no idea what that is and claims sound card.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33037848642.h … 2%2315392%23472

Found this one too. ISA USB. Claims to work in dos and win 3.1
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001969235 … searchweb201603_

Reply 2 of 8, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I’d be interested in one that goes the other way around if you run across one. I could use more pci slots even if they were slower.

Also interested in hearing what you find out about these cards.

It is my knowledge also that that usb card is for a virtual hard drive on a usb stick also.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 3 of 8, by fosterwj03

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Something like the PCI to ISA bridge might work with a sound card on an Intel ICH5 or earlier platform. ISA sound requires DMA, and Intel removed DMA functionality from later chipsets. I can't speak to AMD chipset compatibility with DMA, I'm afraid.

The bridge chip would need to support DMA as well. Hard to tell what bridge they used from the photo.

It might work with a P4 or P3 board that only has PCI slots.

Also, it looks like only an 8-bit ISA slot, not 16. It could still work with 16-bit cards that offer an 8-bit mode.

Reply 4 of 8, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dionb wrote on 2021-01-17, 22:47:

The USB one is specifically for USB storage, so only for USB sticks. Still useful if it works though...

so I guess using it to boot ubuntu live sticks and windows 7 install sticks won’t work?

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 5 of 8, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Sphere478 wrote on 2021-01-20, 07:07:
dionb wrote on 2021-01-17, 22:47:

The USB one is specifically for USB storage, so only for USB sticks. Still useful if it works though...

so I guess using it to boot ubuntu live sticks and windows 7 install sticks won’t work?

Without a bootROM: definitely not. With one... I'd still doubt it, as the storage driver needs to be loaded after OS BOOT - but it's not theoretically impossible, just requires a significantly more complex bit of ROM.

Reply 6 of 8, by Dant

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
fosterwj03 wrote on 2021-01-17, 23:00:
Something like the PCI to ISA bridge might work with a sound card on an Intel ICH5 or earlier platform. ISA sound requires DMA, […]
Show full quote

Something like the PCI to ISA bridge might work with a sound card on an Intel ICH5 or earlier platform. ISA sound requires DMA, and Intel removed DMA functionality from later chipsets. I can't speak to AMD chipset compatibility with DMA, I'm afraid.

The bridge chip would need to support DMA as well. Hard to tell what bridge they used from the photo.

Also, it looks like only an 8-bit ISA slot, not 16. It could still work with 16-bit cards that offer an 8-bit mode.

Intel chipsets after the 440BX won't tunnel any ISA sideband signals through the PCI slots, as in DDMA. You have to get the serialized IRQ and DMA lines from the Southbridge and run them to the ISA bridge separately. To make this card work with DMA on any chipset that doesn't have DDMA support, you'd need an SBlink or PC/PCI connector to bring those signals to the bridge.

Reply 7 of 8, by fosterwj03

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dant wrote on 2021-01-20, 14:19:

Intel chipsets after the 440BX won't tunnel any ISA sideband signals through the PCI slots, as in DDMA. You have to get the serialized IRQ and DMA lines from the Southbridge and run them to the ISA bridge separately. To make this card work with DMA on any chipset that doesn't have DDMA support, you'd need an SBlink or PC/PCI connector to bring those signals to the bridge.

If true, than the bridge card and/or the sound card would require significant modification (as well as wires attached to the south bridge). Probably not worth the trouble when several PCI sound cards offer adequate compatibility in DOS.

Reply 8 of 8, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Dant wrote on 2021-01-20, 14:19:
fosterwj03 wrote on 2021-01-17, 23:00:
Something like the PCI to ISA bridge might work with a sound card on an Intel ICH5 or earlier platform. ISA sound requires DMA, […]
Show full quote

not so sure youre right about that,