VOGONS

First post, by Planet-Dune

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I recently finished my Voodoo2 build. It's not entirely period correct as it has a P3 but close enough. BUT to my horror if I boot a 3dfx game I am not seeing the spinning 3dfx logo when switching to glide. It's a creative 3d blaster 12mb card. Same one (not actual same, same model) I had back in the day. I am using the Aminlin (or something like that) drivers. That spinning logo is half the reason of having the card in the first place. My uneducated guess is the drivers are at fault, but how can I fix this? To be clear I want the old style 3dfx logo, not the new one!

Reply 2 of 6, by Planet-Dune

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
RaverX wrote on 2021-01-21, 12:56:

You need older drivers, drivers made before V3 was launched (3dfx changed the logo when they launched V3). Any driver before april, 1999 should be ok.

You can't change the logo in a driver? Like change a file somewhere?

Reply 3 of 6, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The logo is coded into the drivers, the same way the graphics are coded into games.

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 4 of 6, by RaverX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You can, but it's not a simple image, it's an animated 3d sequence inside a dll file. If the old logo is that important to you, I think you can make a small effort and install a proper driver. If not, good luck modding the driver.

Reply 5 of 6, by lost77

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I wish someone would have figured out how to swap the logo sequence, with all the attention the drivers got back in the day. As it is you will have to use the old version 2.xx drivers to get the old logo. Unfortunately they are speed sensitive (unlike the newer ones),I believe the consensus is that a CPU faster than 700Mhz can cause problems.

Reply 6 of 6, by RaverX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I really don't understand. Why do we get those cards? To "go back to the past". Nostalgia, right? Even OP said that the logo is half the reason he got the card. Well, then is it so hard to make a "period correct" system? That includes both hardware and software. If you don't want that, there's always emulators, there's always movies with that spinning logo. Do a little effort and install those drivers.