VOGONS

First post, by Thrackerzod

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have an Acer (Aopen) CD940E/AKU 40X drive that I was getting ready to install and I noticed an extra set of jumpers on the back marked T, R, and Turbo. I don't recall ever seeing those on a drive before and I have not been able to find anything online telling what they do. I thought if there were any place I could find out this would be it. It is currently set to T, does anyone know what they are for. If I set it to Turbo will it spin really fast and explode my discs? 😆

Reply 1 of 3, by fosterwj03

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Per this web page for a related drive, it looks like it disables the drive's Ultra DMA mode:

http://www.synthmind.com/aopen_cd.htm

If your motherboard or drive controller can handle UDMA, you should remove the jumper and test it out.

Nice looking drive.

Reply 2 of 3, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

fosterwj03 is right, you remove jumper T to enable UDMA which is disabled by default. Also according to some review found in an old magazine on google books about a similar drive, don't bother about the other two

Capture.PNG
Filename
Capture.PNG
File size
828.4 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 3 of 3, by Thrackerzod

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks! I'm using it with an ASUS P/I-P55TVP4 motherboard which doesn't support UDMA so I suppose there's no point changing it, but it's good to know if I ever use it in a newer system.