VOGONS

First post, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don’t think there are any out there right?

The closest thing is that one card (pictured) that uses a flash stick as a simulated hard drive but doesn’t actually let you use anything as usb from windows.

Is it possible to design a isa usb card? Like make a gerber, and send it off to a company that makes pcbs and have them mail you the completed product?

Attachments

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 1 of 28, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The problem would not be getting the PCB manufactured. A lot of companies offer this service at pretty decent prices. Problem is probably interfacing the ISA bus to USB ..

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 2 of 28, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
H3nrik V! wrote on 2021-01-27, 07:49:

The problem would not be getting the PCB manufactured. A lot of companies offer this service at pretty decent prices. Problem is probably interfacing the ISA bus to USB ..

Is there a bridge chip that could help?

Attachments

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 3 of 28, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

depends on what you want to use the usb for, drivers would probably be an issue, but a simple HID converter for mice wouldn't be too hard... might as well just get a usb to serial adapter for that though as the card would probably just do the same.

for file transfer there are certainly easier options.

Reply 4 of 28, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
imi wrote on 2021-01-27, 09:35:

depends on what you want to use the usb for, drivers would probably be an issue, but a simple HID converter for mice wouldn't be too hard... might as well just get a usb to serial adapter for that though as the card would probably just do the same.

for file transfer there are certainly easier options.

for usb stuff. hook up the mouse, usb stick, external hard drive, wifi dongle, card reader, charge phone, backup phone, whatever you wanted that usb usually does

yeah serial adapter would work for mice. I'm mainly thinking of later systems, p1 to p4 that have limited pci slots being used for other things having more options on isa would free up spaces

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 5 of 28, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Problem lies in the software side. Someone must write the driver to use the thing and nobody is going to do that, even if they're capable. One day I will learn what it takes to make a Win9x driver but that is many years away and some of the more harder things to do.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 6 of 28, by rmay635703

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tiido wrote on 2021-01-27, 11:16:

Problem lies in the software side. Someone must write the driver to use the thing and nobody is going to do that, even if they're capable. One day I will learn what it takes to make a Win9x driver but that is many years away and some of the more harder things to do.

There already was a USB ISA card on the market for like 25 years, never seen one in the wild though only on the website

Now to find the link to the thing

Reply 7 of 28, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
rmay635703 wrote on 2021-01-27, 12:34:

There already was a USB ISA card on the market for like 25 years, never seen one in the wild though only on the website

heck, if we knew the name maybe we could find some on ebay?

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 8 of 28, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

the one from the other thread?

how I understood it that was specifically just for one purpose as well and required a driver accordingly.

a usb card that does... well everything USB would require drivers for everything, it's just that in windows nowadays universal drivers are included for most kinds of USB devices.

it's not like you can just install DOS on a machine with USB and expect every device to just work (I assume DOS is the primary purpose if you want it on an ISA card)

Reply 9 of 28, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

http://www.simtec.co.uk/products/components.html

https://www.google.com/search?q=simtec+isa+us … chrome&ie=UTF-8

found this but no place to buy one

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    Filename
    unnamed.jpg
    File size
    66.63 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • kljkljklkjl.jpg
    Filename
    kljkljklkjl.jpg
    File size
    79.05 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 10 of 28, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
imi wrote on 2021-01-27, 12:55:
the one from the other thread? […]
Show full quote

the one from the other thread?

how I understood it that was specifically just for one purpose as well and required a driver accordingly.

a usb card that does... well everything USB would require drivers for everything, it's just that in windows nowadays universal drivers are included for most kinds of USB devices.

it's not like you can just install DOS on a machine with USB and expect every device to just work (I assume DOS is the primary purpose if you want it on an ISA card)

I have limited pci slots, using isa for something would help free up pci slots for things that need pci like video cards storage controllers etc

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 12 of 28, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
imi wrote on 2021-01-27, 13:16:

unless you really want to go through the effort of getting usb to work on ISA for the sake of it, expanding your PCI would be a lot less hassle ^^

it's a pentium 1 motherboard with 5 slots which is more slots than usually came with those motherboards. this exact board has been the focal point of the build so a different board isn't something I want to do. I bought a pci splitter and it seems to work but the wires are short and I cant find a good place or way to mount it. finding things to put on ISA seems like a good solution. also putting things on usb works well these days but not back in the days of this motherboard many modern usb things don't have win 9x/me support but 98se and me did support usb so if I can move the usb to isa the network card that is on usb now that 98 won't support can be a pci one that it will instead of having to go to xp or 7 to do whatever then back or not being able to do network games you get what I mean i have unused isa slots and want to move stuff from pci to isa and a usb isa card would make sense

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 14 of 28, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
imi wrote on 2021-01-27, 13:38:

external PCI expansion? ^^

maybe? does it hook up to a pci slot? only ones I see hook to a pci express slot or are some weird crazy server thing. small box with four slots would be great.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 16 of 28, by BloodyCactus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

you can get microcontrollers that have usb otg functionality in their stacks. there are so many class compliant things youd need to either be 'this is for gamepads only' or 'this is for usb storage only' or something, and the driver side on dos could be simple or a nightmare but usb is VERY cpu heavy. its constant polling. you could maybe use the otg uC chips and do some IRQ triggering but usb is designed for way faster than dos ISA bus speed.

--/\-[ Stu : Bloody Cactus :: [ https://bloodycactus.com :: http://kråketær.com ]-/\--

Reply 17 of 28, by douglar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I remember wanting to buy one of these these back in the late 90's, but passed because it was more cost effective to get USB ports by upgrading to a socket 7 motherboard than it was to buy the card.

http://pdf.datasheetcatalog.com/datasheet/phi … ISP1161A-01.pdf

Looks like they had a FIFO buffer and DMA to reduce CPU load.

If the card was out there, then the drivers probably were probably out there, somewhere, just like all those missing MR BIOS upgrades. The problem is finding them.

Reply 18 of 28, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

if speed isn't a problem (since you want this for ISA) why not using a USB hub to multiply the USB ports ?

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 19 of 28, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Sphere478 wrote on 2021-01-27, 11:09:

for usb stuff. hook up the mouse, usb stick, external hard drive, wifi dongle, card reader, charge phone, backup phone, whatever you wanted that usb usually does

If you just want a charger, it looks like there are molex-to-USB adapters. If you want wifi, it looks like there are wifi-to-Ethernet adapters. And there are the aforementioned USB-to-serial adatpers for mice.

I can't imagine why you would want to backup a phone to a computer with ISA slots, even if you had appropriate drivers.