VOGONS

First post, by ivannudem

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, i saw a 486 board on ebay which was teared down from a techmedia 486 machine. It got UMC um8498F chipsets on it.
I asked the seller about several questions but he/she didn't have quite good knowledge of it.
I attached several photos of it in attachment
I would like to know:
1. Does it support EDO ram or only FPM ram because I need to buy separately from other seller, I don't want to make mistakes
2. It has jumpers for 3.45V, so I can plug in a Am5x86-133?
3. It has a nasty 3.6V barrel battery, I'd cut it off immediately if I buy it, is there any good replacement? Better yet, does this board offer separate CMOS external battery pins so that I could connect a non-rechargable battery pack? I couldn't see it near the barrel battery area.
4. If someone has the manual of this board or any knowledge of how to configure it, I'd like to know.
Thanks
Iván

Attachments

• s-l1600 (1).jpg
    Filename
    s-l1600 (1).jpg
    File size
    344.79 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • s-l1600 (2).jpg
    Filename
    s-l1600 (2).jpg
    File size
    346.7 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • 1601.jpg
    Filename
    1601.jpg
    File size
    458.94 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 1 of 67, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ivannudem wrote on 2021-01-30, 23:16:
Hi, i saw a 486 board on ebay which was teared down from a techmedia 486 machine. It got UMC um8498F chipsets on it. I asked the […]
Show full quote

Hi, i saw a 486 board on ebay which was teared down from a techmedia 486 machine. It got UMC um8498F chipsets on it.
I asked the seller about several questions but he/she didn't have quite good knowledge of it.
I attached several photos of it in attachment
I would like to know:
1. Does it support EDO ram or only FPM ram because I need to buy separately from other seller, I don't want to make mistakes
2. It has jumpers for 3.45V, so I can plug in a Am5x86-133?
3. It has a nasty 3.6V barrel battery, I'd cut it off immediately if I buy it, is there any good replacement? Better yet, does this board offer separate CMOS external battery pins so that I could connect a non-rechargable battery pack? I couldn't see it near the barrel battery area.
4. If someone has the manual of this board or any knowledge of how to configure it, I'd like to know.
Thanks
Iván

I saw them back in December but the seller never answered the board model or any other good information: Re: Bought these (retro) hardware today
Searching for the board without clues to the manufacture was fruitless....

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 3 of 67, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Is there an POST string in sight ?

Regarding the battery, the board looks fine to me. Now maybe the situation has worsened since the photo had been taken.

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 4 of 67, by SpectriaForce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This is silkscreened under a sticker:

Markvision Flexboard socket 3 AT moederbord a.jpg
Filename
File size
300.79 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

I've tried to research it, but can't find any information. Luckily the jumper settings are also silkscreened on the board.

Interestingly mine are from 1996. Imagine you bought this in 1996. It doesn't even have PCI slots, haha!

ivannudem wrote on 2021-01-30, 23:16:

You can desolder it, like I have. The 3-pin barrel battery can still be easily found in most specialized components stores online, but I doubt that they still contain cadmium in the EU. I haven't noticed external battery pins on the board.

Reply 5 of 67, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SpectriaForce wrote on 2021-02-25, 21:20:
This is silkscreened under a sticker: […]
Show full quote

I've tried to research it, but can't find any information. Luckily the jumper settings are also silkscreened on the board.

Interestingly mine are from 1996. Imagine you bought this in 1996. It doesn't even have PCI slots, haha!

You bought one ? Does it work OK ? I was about to buy one until the response to a question was like "the pictures show everything you need to know", which is not always true. 😀

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 6 of 67, by SpectriaForce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Horun wrote on 2021-02-26, 03:28:
SpectriaForce wrote on 2021-02-25, 21:20:
This is silkscreened under a sticker: […]
Show full quote

You bought one ? Does it work OK ? I was about to buy one until the response to a question was like "the pictures show everything you need to know", which is not always true. 😀

I have two (for sale), they were installed in enclosures. They are new old stock and haven't tested them. I have no reason to believe that they don't work. You'll need to remove the leaking battery if you buy them from that American ebay seller. You'll also need the I/O ports, that might not be included if you buy loose elsewhere.

Reply 7 of 67, by evasive

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

MarkVision is software from the printer maker LexMark. Other than that cannot find anything, I'm starting to think these were inside dedicated print server machines.

I also see some products sold under this brand mainly in Colombia and a few other South American countries.

TechMedia (techmedia.net) has disappeared in 1998.

Reply 8 of 67, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

A bios dump would help for the identification (as well as preservation of course). Now it must be a special one that contains also a video bios, but I think they're separated in the ROM.

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 9 of 67, by viper32cm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I bought one of these recently with the i/o headers. The corrosion from the battery was no big deal. I'm awaiting a 486 CPU to give it a test. Has anyone had any luck getting a system based on this board to run?

Reply 13 of 67, by GeneralDisorder

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I bought several of these NOS motherboards and have one running at the moment. They have built in 1mb Cirrus Logic VLB video that's not bad - has VESA support. The cache is small at 128k but the sockets and jumpers are there for up to 1mb. I've got most of the jumpers figured out except for the bus multiplier.... played around with some of the unknown jumpers and nothing changed the reported speed when powered on. Although I am running a 5x86 133 in it at the moment which may be defeating the bus multiplier with it's internal locked 4x. The POST reports 100mhz but CPU identification software reports 133.

There was some battery leakage that I had to clean up and replaced the NiCd with a NiMH but no actual damage to this first board. Haven't opened the second one yet.

Pretty good deal for the price being NOS. 3D Bench turns in 56.7 with the 5x86 using the on-board video. I expect that to improve a bit with added cache.

BIOS string: 40-P301-001223-00101111-072594-UMC498-H

GD

Reply 14 of 67, by evasive

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

BIOS string says Biostar MB-14xxUIV
http://www.win3x.org/uh19/motherboard/show/1091

which has 3 VLB connectors, not 2. So your NOS board has had its bios swapped for another already.

Reply 15 of 67, by GeneralDisorder

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

One of the VLB's is taken up by the onboard Cirrus Logic 1mb video, and one of the ISA's is taken up by an onboard IDE and multi-I/O interface. Different board layout but it looks like a lot of the jumpers are numbered the same so the manual for that Biostar looks to be quite useful. I shall spend some time trying out settings and hopefully get all the jumpers documented. The only thing not printed on the board is a complete cpu type selection and the jumper numbers and number of pins appear the same just in different locations.

These boards were built for Techmedia to be sold as barebones systems. The current seller pulled the 486 boards out of the systems and sells the cases separate or with Pentium MMX boards. They don't have any information on the jumpers or any manuals for the 486 boards but having talked to them back and forth a bit I can say for certain that they didn't swap any BIOS chips. They don't have the sophistication for that.

GD

Reply 16 of 67, by GeneralDisorder

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've got the board working with a DX4-100 at both 100 and 120 Mhz. Here's the jumpers - they match exactly as in the Biostar manual linked above. I have labeled the jumpers needed for CPU type setting. Note that pin 1 is towards the CPU socket for all of these jumpers.

Make SURE you get the settings right for your desired CPU. I made a mistake and burned out a trace on the back of the board - had to put in a bodge wire to fix it. Might have already been damaged by the leaking battery but be careful!

Attachments

Reply 18 of 67, by evasive

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
GeneralDisorder wrote on 2021-05-30, 04:33:

I've got the board working with a DX4-100 at both 100 and 120 Mhz. Here's the jumpers - they match exactly as in the Biostar manual linked above. I have labeled the jumpers needed for CPU type setting. Note that pin 1 is towards the CPU socket for all of these jumpers.

Make SURE you get the settings right for your desired CPU. I made a mistake and burned out a trace on the back of the board - had to put in a bodge wire to fix it. Might have already been damaged by the leaking battery but be careful!

If you are sure of that I'll mention it on the page. It is a pity we can't really slap a MB-14**XYZ label on it yet, but good to know it's a Biostar board.