VOGONS

First post, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Having finally got a Rise mP6 (Lynx) I wondered how fast it would run. It's specified for 100 MHz * 2 = 200 MHz, but seems to be OK at 250 MHz. Does anyone know if it's likely to be damaged if I try higher and/or what is the fastest you have managed?

file.php?id=102289

Attachments

• RRL.PNG
    Filename
    RRL.PNG
    File size
    82.1 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • Rise iDragon (Lynx).jpg
    Filename
    Rise iDragon (Lynx).jpg
    File size
    116.65 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 3 of 11, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
amadeus777999 wrote on 2021-02-06, 13:15:

any favorite kind of software you fancy running on it?

Not really, it's too slow and the software I use runs far better on my Core i9 Windows 10 system.

Nemo1985 wrote on 2021-02-06, 14:56:

I have been able to push it to 285 mhz with 2,1v, it also booted at 300mhz but crashed soon after the post sequence.

Thank you, I tried 95MHz x 3.0 @2.1 volts and my system won't even post so I think I will stick with 100MHz x 2.5 @2.0 volts which looks to be 100% stable.

Maybe it's the MCH chipset, I have Ali M1541 which one do you have please?

Reply 5 of 11, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Given that at 300 MHz it's still going to be very slow to my thinking it's not worth the risk. I was hoping others had managed such as 400 MHz, but now that seems like wishful thinking on my part.

Getting the FSB speed is tricky with an mP6, have you tried SIV on your system and if so did it get the FSB speed correct please?

Reply 6 of 11, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Performance Wise i would say its like Cyrix 6x86 MX

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 7 of 11, by Nemo1985

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
red-ray wrote on 2021-02-06, 16:29:

Given that at 300 MHz it's still going to be very slow to my thinking it's not worth the risk. I was hoping others had managed such as 400 MHz, but now that seems like wishful thinking on my part.

Getting the FSB speed is tricky with an mP6, have you tried SIV on your system and if so did it get the FSB speed correct please?

Unlucky I did not use SIV back in time and actually it was a test bench, I did a roundup at 200mhz, which can be found here: 200 mhz socket7\ss7 round up

matze79 wrote on 2021-02-06, 18:02:

Performance Wise i would say its like Cyrix 6x86 MX

I agree, it's almost par with cyrix, sometimes faster, most of the time a bit slower, but one thing is sure, the power consumption is definitely lower.

Reply 8 of 11, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm actually more interested in how slow can it run.

Does it have a 1.5x or even 1x multiplier? Would be nice if it had TR12 registers like the Pentium MMX, which by disabling only certain features allows for great granularity in speeds.

I gotta check the datasheet of this CPU.

Reply 10 of 11, by Nemo1985

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
carlostex wrote on 2021-02-06, 18:21:

I'm actually more interested in how slow can it run.

Does it have a 1.5x or even 1x multiplier? Would be nice if it had TR12 registers like the Pentium MMX, which by disabling only certain features allows for great granularity in speeds.

I gotta check the datasheet of this CPU.

Probably winchip2 is more suitable for this stuff

Reply 11 of 11, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
carlostex wrote on 2021-02-06, 18:21:

I'm actually more interested in how slow can it run. Does it have a 1.5x or even 1x multiplier?

Why on earth would anyone want a slower CPU? It's already painfully slow, but I guess too fast for poorly written software.

It looks like it won't do x1.5, but the good news is SIV gets the correct FSB + multiplier 😀

Does anyone have a Rise mP6-II?

file.php?id=102367

Attachments

• RRL.png
    Filename
    RRL.png
    File size
    131.95 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain