VOGONS

First post, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

this is going to be a guide based on my experiences trying to get ssds working on pentium 1 motherboards.

m.2 nvme. this is possible though highly not recommended as the final result is actually slower than even conventional magnetic drives
I was able to get a m.2 working via a pci to pcie adapter with a pcie to m.2 nvme adapter plugged into it. to see it I needed debian jessie which happened to exist at the crossroads of still supporting 586 and also having kernel nvme support I was able to start a install that appeared like it was going to be successful and bootable via grub from the mainboard main ide channel but after a very slow install I canceled mid way and gave up the drive appeared to be going so slow that it made little to no sense to continue I believe all writes were going through the processor like some kind of pio mode it was beyond slow I also tried the drive on a core 2 quad and only got 40mb/sec out of it which I expect is many times faster than I was getting one the pentium 1 motherboard. not a good option on pci. especially not a good option on a older cpu as I think you are looking at decreased drive speed with older cpus it seems. M.2 NVMe working on old school regular pci

32111921-4FC7-44BD-B28C-EE3B56A93754.jpeg
Filename
32111921-4FC7-44BD-B28C-EE3B56A93754.jpeg
File size
16.35 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

mainboard ide adapted to sata there exist adapters you can plug into the ide port on the main board that will give you two sata ports. I was not able to get these to work with a cd drive I had so keep in mind but I consider it a very good option as they are easily boot able but keep in mind you may want to purchase a ssd that is small enough that it won't conflict with your main ide max capacity. many old pentium boards have capacity limits https://tldp.org/HOWTO/Large-Disk-HOWTO-4.html in my case my bios was patched up to 128gb so I used a 120gb ssd

s-l500.jpg
Filename
s-l500.jpg
File size
25.28 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

add in card while most all add in cards are bootable not all of them actually work for booting in old motherboards and it's hard to tell before buying you may end up with a pile of different cards that didn't boot on their own but if you can get it to work this can be your fastest route. if the one you bought doesn't boot, then you can use a boot loader that supports the card. two releases I found that support booting to all these methods are fedora 11 (unverified for nvme) and debian jessie which did seem to work with nvme and 586 in my case I bought a promise sata 300 tx4 card and put my bootloader on a 120gb ssd on a adapter on the main ide channel and that seems to work

New Bitmap Image.jpg
Filename
New Bitmap Image.jpg
File size
12.56 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
31VhboRJ1IL._AC_UL320_.jpg
Filename
31VhboRJ1IL._AC_UL320_.jpg
File size
8.72 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

compact flash to ide be careful with this. this option for whatever reason was buggy when I tried it it didn't seem to want to boot anything but freedos or plop, and was causing issues booting cds and such that took me a while to track down. Other people have had success with these though and there are some really fast cf cards out there (1066x, basically ata166) it's also pretty cheap so probably worth trying since others have had more success than I have with it. I am using a micro drive cf (not a ssd) maybe this is why it gave me issues.

New Bitmap Image.jpg
Filename
New Bitmap Image.jpg
File size
62.5 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

keeping the ide cables you can buy sata to ide adapters that go on the drives themselves, which may be handy for maintaining retro look and feel. I haven't tried this but expect about the same result as the other adapter that plugs into the mainboard ide connector

Gigabyte I ram drive. This option is kind of pricy and not really practical for really anyone anymore but it does have one advantage and one disadvantage that the others do not have the advantage is that your page file will never kill it, unlike other ssds that the page file will wear out. (Sometimes rather quickly) but the disadvantage is, you basically need to plan on keeping the computer on because this drive uses ram and your data is lost when the power is out for more than the battery can keep it going which is usually measured in hours less than a day. Some kind of automated formatting in autoexec.bat would be a desirable way around this if is even possible to format it and set page file as windows loads you could make this not even need a battery.🤷‍♂️ I will be experimenting with this soon hopefully. 33BDD30F-F958-4978-B1CC-7A500E9C912A.jpeg

ranking of fastest options:
(I haven't benchmarked these and probably won't take the time to benchmark all options but it was pretty obvious from installing linux which of the methods went faster)
1st the pci promise tx4 sata 300 controller appeared to be the fastest with a 6gbps 256mb ssd installed on it (or probably any ssd for that matter)
1.5th ata133 sil0680 with sata adapter on it, though not specifically tested as in my case I would lose 4 pci slots to physically hook it up I expect it to be a close runner up based on using it with other stuff.
2nd the mainboard ide to sata adapter
3rd a regular old ide magnetic hard drive came in next (a good one, 120gb maxtor)
4th and dead last surprisingly was the m.2 on pci. "truly, a horrible option" 🤣
?th I am unsure where a cf on IDE adapter falls in this list as I had a micro drive for my experiments, not a high speed cf but I expect it would be around the performance of the sata ssd on a mainboard ide adapter if installed in the mainboard or close to the sata pci card if installed on a ata133 pci card but probably slightly behind the sata card in that case as sata has some optimizations pata does not have even if only on a 32 bit pci bus. the difference between a ata133 and sata add in card of any sata generation I expect to be small enough to make any of those a good option so long as you are prepared with a bootloader should it fail to be bootable.

Last edited by Sphere478 on 2021-02-07, 01:37. Edited 4 times in total.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 2 of 37, by Oetker

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm using a cheap 128GB M.2 SATA SSD (easy to find) in an M.2 to SATA enclosure, with a SATA->IDE adapter plugged in the back. My SFF desktop PC doesn't have space for an adapter that plugs into the motherboard. An adapter you plug into the drive doesn't need an extra power connector either.

There's also M.2 SATA to 44pin IDE enclosures meant for laptops.

What would be interesting, but not something I've been able to find, would be a PCI card that directly takes a M.2 SATA drive. That would be a really clean solution.

Reply 4 of 37, by fosterwj03

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You also need to temper your expectations with IDE-to-SATA adapters on very old PCs (early Pentiums and older). These adapters use Ultra DMA transfer modes and ATAPI standards that aren't backward compatible with the old IDE standard (controllers prior to EIDE or early ATAPI).

I have a late model 486 motherboard with built-in IDE that refuses to recognize any drive connected to my IDE-to-SATA adapter.

These adapters would work with Ultra DMA add-on boards, though.

Reply 6 of 37, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Oetker wrote on 2021-02-06, 15:56:

I'm using a cheap 128GB M.2 SATA SSD (easy to find) in an M.2 to SATA enclosure, with a SATA->IDE adapter plugged in the back. My SFF desktop PC doesn't have space for an adapter that plugs into the motherboard. An adapter you plug into the drive doesn't need an extra power connector either.

There's also M.2 SATA to 44pin IDE enclosures meant for laptops.

What would be interesting, but not something I've been able to find, would be a PCI card that directly takes a M.2 SATA drive. That would be a really clean solution.

Yeah, I thought about mentioning these but didn’t. Indeed. These are also ways to do it. 😀 and will probably be comperable to a regular 2.5” ssd

I like the pci sata m.2 idea

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 8 of 37, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
maxtherabbit wrote on 2021-02-06, 18:36:
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2021-02-06, 16:01:

a real SSD?

Define "real" SSD.

Like a 2.5" SATA SSD designed to be used as a hard disk

New CF cards can do around 150MB/s which is more than enough, but they are almost always a lot more expensive than an SSD for an equivalent capacity and they are not built for random reads/write so I wouldn't expect any DRAM cache (not that this would matter at all for DOS but you might feel it some in windows 98). I am also not sure about how well new, ultra fast CF cards work with the mostly passive IDE converter interfaces. When using CF cards for myself I always chose older models to avoid the headaches.

I have an 8gb compact flash card that I used briefly with a socket 7 mmx, and it is rated for 60MB/s. I never benchmarked it though so I have no idea how fast it actually is. My 20$ kingston 120gb SSDs that I use with everything easily reach 120mb/s sustained read and writes with DMA on a native SATA interface or a promise card. Less of course through IDE to SATA converters, but they have worked reliably for me.

Reply 9 of 37, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm proud of sphere hes learned his shit from his experiments. Although there are quite a few ways to realistically add solid state to an old computer NVME isn't one of them. Even if you got it to work it would be a waste. we did try to tell him that tho.

Reply 10 of 37, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Warlord wrote on 2021-02-06, 21:03:

I'm proud of sphere hes learned his shit from his experiments. Although there are quite a few ways to realistically add solid state to an old computer NVME isn't one of them. Even if you got it to work it would be a waste.

I respect Sphere478's tenacity, motivation, intellectual curiosity, desire to experiment and willingness to learn . I envy him too, in a way, because I find that I myself have become somewhat complacent and less adventurous and less rigorous in my own pursuits . I think (hope) he's having a lot of fun doing all this and he's teaching us some things along the way .

Cheers to you, Sphere478!
Happy to have you here .

Reply 11 of 37, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Aww, thanks guys. Yeah, I love crazy builds. A lot of people don’t understand that haha you guys are more adventurous and fun than a lot of groups I’ve been on so I also am happy to be here :p

Warlord wrote on 2021-02-06, 21:03:

I'm proud of sphere hes learned his shit from his experiments. Although there are quite a few ways to realistically add solid state to an old computer NVME isn't one of them. Even if you got it to work it would be a waste. we did try to tell him that tho.

it’s kinda funny m.2 stuck dirrectly in the slot, you would think would be the fastest option even if only marginally faster, but it completely wasn’t even on my radar that it wouldn’t have dma. And thinking back I could have thought of that putting together the pieces but did not haha. Oh well. It was a fun experiment and I can use the adapter and nvme in another computer.

The comment about cf cards not having data buffers is a interesting point I wasn’t aware of that. But since some ssds don’t have them either it makes sense.

Last edited by Sphere478 on 2021-02-06, 22:46. Edited 1 time in total.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 12 of 37, by douglar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mothergoose729 wrote on 2021-02-06, 19:33:
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2021-02-06, 16:01:

Define "real" SSD.

New CF cards can do around 150MB/s which is more than enough, but they are almost always a lot more expensive than an SSD for an equivalent capacity and they are not built for random reads/write so I wouldn't expect any DRAM cache (not that this would matter at all for DOS but you might feel it some in windows 98). I am also not sure about how well new, ultra fast CF cards work with the mostly passive IDE converter interfaces. When using CF cards for myself I always chose older models to avoid the headaches.

I have an 8gb compact flash card that I used briefly with a socket 7 mmx, and it is rated for 60MB/s. I never benchmarked it though so I have no idea how fast it actually is. My 20$ kingston 120gb SSDs that I use with everything easily reach 120mb/s sustained read and writes with DMA on a native SATA interface or a promise card. Less of course through IDE to SATA converters, but they have worked reliably for me.

A "real SSD" in my mind is a solid state storage device with wear leveling and presents a high speed interface that my computer can identify as a fixed storage device. A command buffer is nice too, but not really required.

I've been playing around with the UDMA7 CF devices that support high speed transfers & trim commands. Maybe there are some USB adapters that negotiate the higher speeds, but I have not found any PC based ATA controllers or adapters that will negotiate those high speeds with the CF devices or identify the TRIM support.

Kind of like how there are very fast SD's out there that have an "A2" speed rating and support advanced features like wear leveling & command queue buffers, but I can't even find adapters that support the 10 year old UHS-I transfer mode, much less anything that came out recently.

The mitigating factor is that my 386 wouldn't care anyway. Existing CFs are fast enough.

Reply 13 of 37, by Error 0x7CF

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I bet that the NVMe kernel driver in Debian Jessie had too much CPU overhead. If somebody wrote an NVMe driver for DOS (like DOS CD drivers) it might actually get some decent speed.

Old precedes antique.

Reply 14 of 37, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Error 0x7CF wrote on 2021-02-06, 23:02:

I bet that the NVMe kernel driver in Debian Jessie had too much CPU overhead. If somebody wrote an NVMe driver for DOS (like DOS CD drivers) it might actually get some decent speed.

windows apparently had the issue also. Cause the core 2 quad could only do about 40 mb/sec

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 15 of 37, by Error 0x7CF

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It doesn't have the same problem with just the M.2 to PCIe in a native PCIe slot in core 2 quad system does it? I'd figure that might be a really nice upgrade if the chipset supports PCIe, though definitely overkill for any core 2 quad system.

Old precedes antique.

Reply 17 of 37, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've never tried a super high end CF card but all the random ones I've tried have had abysmal write speeds and mediocre linear read performance too

Reply 18 of 37, by SodaSuccubus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I don't remember the disk performance itself feeling *too* terrible compared to a spinning drive of the time, but I have had multiple brand name CF cards get murdered by all the page file swapping and writing Win 9X does.

Like, astonishingly fast. Within a week of heavy gaming. I'd stick to using CF cards with DOS.

Reply 19 of 37, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
douglar wrote on 2021-02-06, 22:35:
A "real SSD" in my mind is a solid state storage device with wear leveling and presents a high speed interface that my computer […]
Show full quote
mothergoose729 wrote on 2021-02-06, 19:33:

A "real SSD" in my mind is a solid state storage device with wear leveling and presents a high speed interface that my computer can identify as a fixed storage device. A command buffer is nice too, but not really required.

I've been playing around with the UDMA7 CF devices that support high speed transfers & trim commands. Maybe there are some USB adapters that negotiate the higher speeds, but I have not found any PC based ATA controllers or adapters that will negotiate those high speeds with the CF devices or identify the TRIM support.

Kind of like how there are very fast SD's out there that have an "A2" speed rating and support advanced features like wear leveling & command queue buffers, but I can't even find adapters that support the 10 year old UHS-I transfer mode, much less anything that came out recently.

The mitigating factor is that my 386 wouldn't care anyway. Existing CFs are fast enough.

Do you have some examples of those TRIM supporting CF cards ? I would be curious to try some . I have had success running TRIM on SATA SSDs in DOS and Linux through ICH2 IDE port + Jmicron or Marvell IDE to SATA adapter and on a Promise Ultra133 TX2 + Jmicron IDE to SATA adapter . I imagine that either of those controllers should pass TRIM commands when a TRIM capable ATA device is connected directly .

CF and even SD cards (through the likes of an FC-1307A SD to IDE adapter, be careful what you use to partition it if using FAT16 , see Re: Using a vintage multi-track recorder as a mixer, namely the Roland VS-880EX - might apply to other Roland VS- units if interested ) should be fine in a 486 or lower spec machine, IMHO . Even an early Pentium should feel brisk enough with a 25MB/second capable FC-1307A . Beyond that, faster CF cards or adapted SATA SSDs seem like a better idea, again, IMHO .