VOGONS

First post, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm trying to build a PCIe Win98 box with 2GB RAM and Loew's PATCHMEM patch.

After a clean install Windows complains about IDE Controller drivers at boot, and it it instructs me that the system will revert to compatibility drivers and I need to obtain 32-bit drivers for the controllers myself.

This is fine, as they are included in VIA HyperionPro package, but I can't seem to install it.

In what seems to be an issue with InstallShield 5.x and Windows 98, When I try to install VIA HyperionPro 5.24A (or 23A for that matter) the installation always fails when trying to run the scripts, and reports that the process was interrupted before drivers could be installed and all changes would be rolled back.

Has anyone had this problem before and does anyone know of a workaround? Are there any version 4.x drivers that support P4M890 for example?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 1 of 4, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Try updating the Windows Installer prior to installing the VIA drivers.

https://download.cnet.com/Windows-Installer-W … 4-10049515.html

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 2 of 4, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

InstMsiA.exe is also included as part of the driver and the setup script executes it prior to the installation. I have also manually installed it to no effect.

A footnote: Regardless of setup failure upon subsequent boot the system actually detects a LOT of VIA devices and installs most basic motherboard drivers such as ACPI, Host bridges etc. so ı THINK the INF driver actually gets installed. It does not detect and install the IDE driver, which I need though.

I have a SATA drive in the system, set to running as IDE. It is on IDE Channel 4, and not detected by Windows 98 (Win98 only detects real IDE channels 1/2) so I guess that may be part of the issue here?

Reply 3 of 4, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have found that HyperionPro drivers released after v5.21 are absolutely borked for Windows 98, at least on my machine. v5.21 and earlier installs fine.

Reply 4 of 4, by texterted

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

They seem to work providing you don't select the "inf" driver thing, at the top of the list.

Cheers

Ted

98se/W2K :- Asus A8v Dlx. A-64 3500+, 512 mb ddr, Radeon 9800 Pro, SB Live.
XP Pro:- Asus P5 Q SE Plus, C2D E8400, 4 Gig DDR2, Radeon HD4870, SB Audigy 2ZS.