VOGONS

First post, by imafuturecorpse

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm looking for modern PC Power Supplies (PSU) with legacy cables, preferably modular, although semi-modular and non-modular are acceptable as well. The features I'm looking for are that it must fist older Pentium 4 motherboards (I think it's 20 pin, instead of the 24-pin of today), it must have molex cables to connect to IDE devices, and Floppy drive 4-pin cables to connect to 3.5" floppy drives.

The PSU I was using only had one molex cable, no floppy cables, and a 24-pin main cable that could split to make it a 20-pin. If that wasn't enough, the molex cable had weird tabs on it that basically prevented me from actually using it.

So yes, if anyone would be kind enough to offer recommendations for modern power supplies with the legacy support I need, I would appreciate it very much.

Thank you for your time.

Reply 1 of 2, by frudi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You can get SATA to molex converters, molex to floppy converters and 24-to-20 pin ATX converters for a couple $ each off ebay. A new PSU with these legacy connectors is likely going to be either an old design, made by some questionable/unknown brand or overpriced, or even a combination of all those. I would much rather use a quality modern PSU from a reputable brand and simply add any needed converters for missing connectors. That's in fact exactly what I do with my builds.