VOGONS

Hello Vogons!

Topic actions

First post, by framebuffer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi All,

I'm a long time VOGONS reader and finally registered, so I just wanted to say hello to this nice community!
This place is one of the most valuable resources for retro-computing on the Internet and I hope to be able to give my own little contribution too
Among other things I'm a computer hardware enthusiast, especially retro-hardware.
At the moment I have 253 video cards, 86 main boards and 214 CPUs and a ton of projects in mind 😀

So ye, see you around!

P.S. if this is the wrong place for posting this please let me know or move it to the most appropriate one (sorry in case...).

Windows 98 and SAMBA | Quake CPU Benchmarks | GeForce2: GTS vs MX400

Reply 4 of 13, by framebuffer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
malloc32 wrote on 2021-02-15, 12:17:

Welcome!

Doornkaat wrote on 2021-02-15, 11:15:

Welcome to the forum! 😀

Thanks!

Old_Jelly wrote on 2021-02-15, 14:20:

Hey framebuffer ! You still owe me some benches haha

hehe hey, nice to see you here !
atm I'm busy on a project with a very special GeForce2 MX400 but at some point will be the turn of that Gainward 6800 😀

Reply 5 of 13, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Welcome !

By the way please take a look at UH19 in my signature, your motherboards/expansion cards might interest us 😀

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 7 of 13, by framebuffer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Deksor wrote on 2021-02-15, 17:42:

Welcome !

By the way please take a look at UH19 in my signature, your motherboards/expansion cards might interest us 😀

Sure!
I have everything in a google docs sheet, so it's easy to share in case it can be useful

Reply 8 of 13, by subnet_zero

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
framebuffer wrote on 2021-02-15, 10:59:
Hi All, […]
Show full quote

Hi All,

I'm a long time VOGONS reader and finally registered, so I just wanted to say hello to this nice community!
This place is one of the most valuable resources for retro-computing on the Internet and I hope to be able to give my own little contribution too
Among other things I'm a computer hardware enthusiast, especially retro-hardware.
At the moment I have 253 video cards, 86 main boards and 214 CPUs and a ton of projects in mind 😀

So ye, see you around!

P.S. if this is the wrong place for posting this please let me know or move it to the most appropriate one (sorry in case...).

Welcome.
Glad to read this, I thought having 10 main boards and 18 video cards might get little to much for a hobby. 😅

Reply 10 of 13, by framebuffer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
subnet_zero wrote on 2021-02-15, 20:30:

Welcome.
Glad to read this, I thought having 10 main boards and 18 video cards might get little to much for a hobby. 😅

hehehe yes... my initial idea was to have one board for each platform/socket/generation, from socket 7 to socket 2011
then I thought that it would be better have two boards (at least for older platforms), you know, in case of failures or damages, but somehow the thing changed to "I need to have everything I see" 😁
anyway, now I'm really slowing down and buying only stuff I consider special, because I want to to enjoy all this and devote time to all the projects I have in mind

Reply 11 of 13, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
framebuffer wrote on 2021-02-15, 10:59:
Hi All, […]
Show full quote

Hi All,

So ye, see you around!

Welcome aboard! 😁

That's quite a sizeable collection you have there =) . If you need any tips on how to store all that or have some tips to share yourself, feel free to do so. And of course pics are always welcome as well 😜

What kind of projects do you have on mind? And what projects have you already worked on before?

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 13 of 13, by framebuffer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Tetrium wrote on 2021-02-16, 14:17:

Welcome aboard! 😁

That's quite a sizeable collection you have there =) . If you need any tips on how to store all that or have some tips to share yourself, feel free to do so. And of course pics are always welcome as well 😜

What kind of projects do you have on mind? And what projects have you already worked on before?

Thanks! 😀

I have all the CPU/MoBo/VGA listed in a Google Sheet (one page for category) with item ID and various fields (model, year etc.)
Each item has a label with the ID and it's stored in a box, in it's own static-shielding bag. In front of each box I have a list of the IDs (=boards) inside.
This way if I need, let's say the ASUS V9560/TD for something, I know exactly where to look 😀
Of course there are some exceptions, you know, stuff floating around for various reasons, exposed on shelves or simply in use, but the majority of the items is safely stored 😉
The RAM modules are not labeled, but for each type I have a drawer with the best ones in front (lowest CL etc.) and the rest behind
If you have tips to improve they are welcome!

Regarding pics, I already have some and will post them, along with new ones, in the various/appropriate threads but if you are interested you can take a look at my gallery
on Instagram ( https://www.instagram.com/framebuffer10/ )

At the moment I just completed the first project, which was very important for me because it was a re-build of my first computer.
If you want to have a look it's on my website ( https://framebuffer.io/ )
I plan many follow-up for this, one for each upgrade I did to my rig in 2000, 2001, 2002...up to the C2Q6600 period I think

This week I'm working on a Overclocked GeForce2 MX400 vs GeForce2 GTS comparison, which I hope will be interesting, since the MX400 is an ASUS V7100PRO with 4ns EtronTech memories 😁
I also plan to do a series of "What did you needed to play ------- at launch in YxZ resolution at full details" for the most famous and technically interesting games
Another one in queue is dual Tualatin 1.4GHz vs Pentium 4 2.8GHz. Silly I know, but will be fun 😁

So things like that, along with some more classic comparison/test stuff maybe