VOGONS

First post, by Boohyaka

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As many users around here I do have several builds with a pretty diverse selection of hardware. But there's one I just feel particularly attached to. For those of you that know of old Top Gear, I feel as emotionally involved in it as Hammond and his old Opel Kadett he named Oliver during an Africa road trip. Didn't give my computer a name yet, though 😁

So as I was wondering why I'm so attached to this particular computer, I thought about asking you guys about yours.

My sweetheart is my 486 DX2-66. It's based on a SOYO SY-025K AT VLB motherboard, with 16MB of RAM and 256kb cache. It features a CL GD-5426 1MB VLB gfx card, an ESS1868f (Edison Gold 16 Pro, can't vouch for it enough, very good quality and low noise), a TNDY-3voice from our very own matze79, a Primax Soundwave M16B (excellent quality GUS clone) purchased from another Vogons user, a 19inch CRT and great Roland MA-12C speakers, and for some reason I just *love* that machine. Thinking about it I came up with a few reasons:

- It just works! It's a no drama build. I didn't have too many issues building it, we all know tinkering with the stuff is most of the fun but still I boot it up and boom! Nostalgia
- I'm a huge Sierra and old adventure games fan in general, and it's the perfect build for it
- Thinking about it and comparing what I do with my different computers, I realize it covers the era I have the most fun with and the biggest nostalgia for, and for me it definitely feels like the most satisfying era to run on real hardware compared to modern options
- Lots of sound options, great fun to play older Sierra games with the TNDY-3voice, had a blast toying with the GUS (something I never did back then)
- Also feels the most satisfying to run MIDI devices with and rediscovering games I love in this way, another thing I didn't get to do back in the days
- Very personal but it feels to me this era of games aged very well compared to late 90's... even games I love(d) I sometimes feels like they somewhat lost their magic compared to the earlier games

My only deception is that I've never been able to run the Orpheus on that build as I initially hoped, because of what looks like a weird ISA timing issue that we never managed to fix in spite of amazing efforts from both keropi and JazeFox 🙁 but it found another great home in my P233MMX build! And is still an awesome soundcard I can only recommend.

That's about it! I'd love to hear about your own favorite computer and the reasons why, and what you spend most of your time doing with it!

Here's the beautiful beast (funnily, the case and motherboard I bought off eBay from someone that ended up being another Vogons user as well 😀 )

1.jpg
Filename
1.jpg
File size
1.67 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 1 of 15, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think all of mine are too temperamental and I hate them all!

The one I hate the least is probably my VIA EPIA 800MHz thing because it manages to be both 'interesting' and useful, reliably, with a good soundcard in the system. It can do early windows 98 games to an acceptable level and DOS gaming with a Yamaha soundcard.

Ryzen 3700X | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | AMD 6800XT | 2Tb NVME SSD | Windows 10
AMD DX2-80 | 16MB RAM | STB LIghtspeed 128 | AWE32 CT3910
I have a vacancy for a main Windows 98 PC

Reply 2 of 15, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

that's one great 486 for sure!

I thought about the question and realised that quite like most of mine for various reasons, but also that none of them are really 'optimal' in terms of combining best components and so forth

I have two near identical builds in the mix, based on old machines I had - basically a Duron 800, 256mb sdram, 20gb-ish hdd, a TNT2 and a basic sound card, both windows 98se

one is essentially a backup for the other - although i don't actually use them that much!

what I like about them is they can do almost anything DOS or 9x based from early 80's up to around 2000 and quite a few things beyond that

they are like reliable mainstream cars that at the time were ubiquitous and later on become nostalgic, rather than cool rare old cars

Reply 3 of 15, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Probably my AthlonXP rig. Mainly because it's so versatile.

That system can play DOS games just fine with the help of slowdown utilities. Win9x games work great on it, including late-era stuff like Deus Ex. And even some WinXP titles like the original Splinter Cell run on it with acceptable performance. It's a great all-rounder build.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 4 of 15, by Boohyaka

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Almoststew1990 wrote on 2021-02-16, 15:02:

The one I hate the least is probably my VIA EPIA 800MHz thing because it manages to be both 'interesting' and useful, reliably, with a good soundcard in the system. It can do early windows 98 games to an acceptable level and DOS gaming with a Yamaha soundcard.

Haha, love that take! This probably screams for a "which one of your builds do you hate the most" later on 😁
But yeah, "too temperamental" is a perfect description and feel where you're coming from deep into my soul. My 3 other builds (p233mmx, celeron 800, P4S 1.4GHz) all have SOMETHING that annoys me. Stuff that simply doesn't work as it should, drivers headaches, I mean I fixed most of the biggest quirks with all 3 but I still get random issues that annoy me to no end. So that's one of the big factors for me loving the 486: drama-free. It just works and behaves!

I still love the other 3 for various reasons...I guess. Feels like I have to, like a disillusioned parent 😁

@gerry, looks like you have something that I don't: the bond to older computers you owned. That's something I didn't manage to do, and wouldn't know how. I was too young and only have vague memories, no details. But when I think about the computers and stuff we owned as a family that were sold or even thrown out, what I wouldn't give to be able to get it back. But hey, what can I do 😀

@Joseph_Joestar interesting...I also thought about it and while I can understand it, for me versatility isn't really a personal selling point. The realization is that while my 486 is limited, it ends up matching exactly what I get the most fun with and what what I find most interesting. That's the bottom line of this thoughts experiment 😀

Reply 5 of 15, by Boohyaka

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2021-02-16, 15:19:

Probably my AthlonXP rig. Mainly because it's so versatile.

That system can play DOS games just fine with the help of slowdown utilities. Win9x games work great on it, including late-era stuff like Deus Ex. And even some WinXP titles like the original Splinter Cell run on it with acceptable performance. It's a great all-rounder build.

Just checked your link - that's a very interesting all-rounder build though! AthlonXP with ISA, that's pretty neat 😀

Reply 6 of 15, by fosterwj03

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My favorite is the build I dubbed Retro Beast Mark 2. I built it to run vintage software (mostly mid-90s to mid-2000s operating systems) as fast as possible on bare metal.

It hosts a Core i5-3570 on a Gigabyte GA-P75-D3 (Intel B75 chipset). It has 4 native PCI slots so I can use either a PCI or PCIe video card depending on the OS while maintaining space for a PCI sound card, network card, and hard drive controller for maximum backward compatibility. It runs Windows 3.1, Windows 9x, NT 3.51, NT 4, Windows 2000, Windows XP, OS/2 Warp, and OS X with full functionality (by my fairly modest standards).

I just swap out SSDs for each OS using an external SATA enclosure.

It does have a couple of drawbacks such as BeOS refusing to boot on it, yet it handles most of my vintage software easily. I only wish I had a Core i7 for it, but I don’t like the prices right now.

Attachments

• Retro_Beast2.jpg
    Filename
    Retro_Beast2.jpg
    File size
    662.3 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Win98_SSD.jpg
    Filename
    Win98_SSD.jpg
    File size
    114.97 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 7 of 15, by Boohyaka

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nice build! Interesting, so it seems versatility is an important point for some of you guys. I'm wondering, is it mainly a matter of available space, or the technical challenge itself of building a machine that can do the most?

Reply 8 of 15, by fosterwj03

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

A matter of space saving, maximizing/reusing individual components, cost savings, etc.

And yes, versatility is important. I also have a P4 build specifically for early-90s and earlier software. It can run all of the above OS's (with some serious video limitations on Windows 2000 and XP) as well, but I like to focus that build on OS's requiring ISA cards for full functionality.

The SSDs stack pretty neatly.

Attachments

• Stack of SSDs.jpg
    Filename
    Stack of SSDs.jpg
    File size
    329.33 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 9 of 15, by bofh.fromhell

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Probably my awesome AT system.
Always evolving and getting small tweaks.
Fantastic AT case and my mid to late 90's system in it.

Tho my "2k" system is a close second.
Got all the top of the line Year 2000 stuff in it.
Tried very hard to keep everything with correct manufacturing dates as well.
And as always the cable management and overall build "neatness" is improving over time.
I mean I know the Noctuas are awesome and all, but they are new and look kinda out of place.

Vkw88tIl.jpg
A0jEmMdl.jpg

Kinda like my ABIT BP6 system too (2xC366@550MHz obviously).
And the "Mid 90's server" with dual PPRO's is kinda cool too.
Oh and the maxed out 2004 build in a gorgeous early Lian-Li!

Dammit don't make me choose between my children!

Reply 10 of 15, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've got 2
The first is also a Dx2/66. It was the family's first PC so loads of sentimental value, the fact it's a VLB system helps me keep interested in it these days.
Osbone 486 DX2 66 VL-Bus (My 1st PC ever)

The other is a dual socket P3 600. Coming from my 1st job also has a bit of sentimental value. and features a lot of hardware I dreamed off at the time AWE, V2 SLI, EAX card.
Asus P2B-DS Build

I've got faster 486's and Pentiums with better hardware but these are the 2 I keep going back to the most

Almoststew1990 wrote on 2021-02-16, 15:02:

very well said, some days I can relate to this way of thinking as well!

Reply 11 of 15, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Probably this one:
Socket 775 system revival story. Bonus: In-place upgrade of a 12-year old Vista install *PICS*

Because it's the only one that I fully assembled from scratch by buying only individual parts and putting them together. All my other desktops were originally purchased as complete systems, even if later I tore them down and rebuilt and changed everything including the motherboards.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 12 of 15, by Old_Jelly

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Love to play with this one !

EDIT forgot to add why ? Well it reminds me of some simpler times in my life so I always love to fire it up sometimes.

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
Zalman CNPS7700-Cu
DFI LANPARTY DK X38-T2RB
4x2 Gb DDR2 800 Mhz
Sapphire Toxic HD 3870
Sapphire HD 3870
DFI UV Cable Sleeves

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    Filename
    1.jpg
    File size
    543.75 KiB
    Views
    File license
    CC-BY-4.0
  • 2.jpg
    Filename
    2.jpg
    File size
    311.63 KiB
    Views
    File license
    CC-BY-4.0
  • 3.jpg
    Filename
    3.jpg
    File size
    382.92 KiB
    Views
    File license
    CC-BY-4.0
  • 4.jpg
    Filename
    4.jpg
    File size
    416.6 KiB
    Views
    File license
    CC-BY-4.0
  • 5.jpg
    Filename
    5.jpg
    File size
    220.08 KiB
    Views
    File license
    CC-BY-4.0

Reply 13 of 15, by Error 0x7CF

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I probably like my upgraded Shuttle XPC SK43G lanbox-like system best. Athlon XP 3000+, XP, X800 XT AGP, 2GB RAM, SSD and PCI SATA adapter. It plays pretty much all the games that aren't terribly old or very new very well. It's a perfect system for the 00s casual games (Wildtangent) I have a soft spot for. Not to mention it's so compact and so very nearly completely trouble-free that I really enjoy using it.

Now, if my Athlon 1GHz + Radeon 7500 system were more stable that might be my favorite, but it's just too flaky, though that might just be a 9x thing. I'm gonna try ME and 2K on it one of these days and see if they're any less bad.

Old precedes antique.

Reply 14 of 15, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

While I enjoyed playing with my 486 dx2/66, my POD200 is easily my favorite because it's flexible from 386-25 speeds all the way up to 200Mhz MMX. It's got an Audician 32/DreamBlaster X2, 6GB Quantum HDD, 32MB edo, and a 16x CD-ROM. Sitting on top is a CH Products Mach I joystick and to the right is a Roland MT-32 (old) and Gateway 2000 ACS41 speakers (which are used for my modern rig as well).

pc-1.jpg
Filename
pc-1.jpg
File size
293.61 KiB
Views
File license
GPL-2.0-or-later

Here's a wider shot showing a bit of my modern PC to its right.

pc-2.jpg
Filename
pc-2.jpg
File size
344.29 KiB
Views
File license
GPL-2.0-or-later

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 15 of 15, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

My fav's are the Laser XT/3 (prebuilt but rebuilt) Turbo XT, my Pentium Pro based on Asus P6NP5 and my last newer build of a Z370 Asrock with i7 8700K (OK that one is not vintage but still love it ;p )
edit: fixed a typo...

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun