VOGONS

HP Vectra 486/33VL not booting up

Topic actions

Reply 60 of 88, by Bernkastel7734

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've checked and PSU gives 5V onto PG pin. Acctually now PC speaker on motherboard seems to be alive, but instead of any beep sequence it just gives single beep tone without any breaks. It gives that tone, even when there are no POST codes on the POST card.

Reply 61 of 88, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I still say it's either a memory or a CPU problem. Only one way to find out.
Did you test it before cleaning? Maybe it was damaged during the several hours process.

Reply 62 of 88, by Bernkastel7734

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Miphee wrote on 2021-03-03, 10:18:

I still say it's either a memory or a CPU problem. Only one way to find out.
Did you test it before cleaning? Maybe it was damaged during the several hours process.

Well, it's my mistake but was too scared to power it up before. Most of the time I was cleaning the case and psu internals. All I did to Mb was sweep it with soft makeup brush .

Reply 63 of 88, by Bernkastel7734

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Also, I have noticed that around some pins there is whitish goo ( Mostly around GPU chip). Is there any chance that this substance is a problem? Also sorry for pic quality but my microscope does not support making pictures.

Attachments

Reply 64 of 88, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Is it hard or soft? Just try cleaning with some alcohol.

I have the feeling that you are getting there. Some optimism!! 😀

PC#1 Pentium 233 MMX - 98SE
PC#2 PIII-1Ghz - 98SE/W2K

Reply 65 of 88, by Bernkastel7734

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Nexxen wrote on 2021-03-03, 14:35:

Is it hard or soft? Just try cleaning with some alcohol.

I have the feeling that you are getting there. Some optimism!! 😀

It's soft and hard to clean.

Reply 66 of 88, by Bernkastel7734

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Now I got to the point where 98% of boot attempts I get the same post code ( sometimes with one continious bees, sometimes not). The code is 0504. 04 means that keyboard controller test is passed and 05 - Chipset initialized...DMA and interrupt controller disabled.

Reply 67 of 88, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Try compressed air everywhere.
Wash it with some dish soap. Nothing will happen if you dry it. You can even put it in the over at 50°C for 15 minutes...

Could be dirt and probably loose joint.
You can use some fine tip + magnifying glass and check if all soldered pins are not moving.

Reply 68 of 88, by Bernkastel7734

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Nexxen wrote on 2021-03-03, 19:33:
Try compressed air everywhere. Wash it with some dish soap. Nothing will happen if you dry it. You can even put it in the over a […]
Show full quote

Wash it with some dish soap. Nothing will happen if you dry it. You can even put it in the over at 50°C for 15 minutes...

You can use some fine tip + magnifying glass and check if all soldered pins are not moving.

I'll try to inspect it with microscope. The olny oven I have is for food so I don't want to poison my family.

Reply 69 of 88, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Bernkastel7734 wrote on 2021-03-03, 20:01:
Nexxen wrote on 2021-03-03, 19:33:
Try compressed air everywhere. Wash it with some dish soap. Nothing will happen if you dry it. You can even put it in the over a […]
Show full quote

I'll try to inspect it with microscope. The olny oven I have is for food so I don't want to poison my family.

You don't have to bake it @350 °C 😀 ... Just enough to dry it off, or use a hairdrier.

Reply 72 of 88, by Bernkastel7734

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Quick update :
Got other 486 MB with the same 486DX-33. That board does boot up. Checked CPU from my Vectra, it didn't boot up. Checked that working 486 on Vectra MB, still no boot.

Reply 73 of 88, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So the CPU from your Vectra doesn't work on your new mobo but the Vectra still doesn't work with the working dx-33 ?

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 74 of 88, by Bernkastel7734

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Deksor wrote on 2021-03-05, 13:59:

So the CPU from your Vectra doesn't work on your new mobo but the Vectra still doesn't work with the working dx-33 ?

Yes

Reply 77 of 88, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Are you sure the hp vectra didn't kill the working CPU ?

Also are you sure you inserted the CPU properly in the socket ?

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 78 of 88, by Bernkastel7734

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Deksor wrote on 2021-03-05, 17:34:

Are you sure the hp vectra didn't kill the working CPU ?

Also are you sure you inserted the CPU properly in the socket ?

It didn't, after checking in with Vectra, it booted once. It stopped after I connected HDD to it. And it's properly inserted.