VOGONS

Fried MB

Topic actions

First post, by Scott8bit

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well that was a short trip down memory lane, interrupted with the putrid smell of burning 🤣.

I’m not sure what has caused it as I did numerous tweaks but the motherboard died this morning.

I wondered what could cause it, as I’ve recently added overdrive + CD-ROM and powered CF card, so either too much voltage drawn could cause it? or the overdrive chip + system change to 66 MHz x2 could cause it? Perhaps just the age of AT PSU?

Annoying but now I have a ton of junk, so I’m going to have to source another socket 5 desktop and start again 🤣.

Anyone had similar issues with old hardware?

Last edited by Scott8bit on 2021-03-07, 13:40. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 6, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sometimes transistors and other silcon shorts and dies like so. It looks like the switching transistor of some voltage regulator gave up. Assuming no other problems, replacing the transistor and the close by capacitor will make things work again.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 2 of 6, by froller

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Tiido wrote on 2021-02-27, 16:22:

Sometimes transistors and other silcon shorts and dies like so. It looks like the switching transistor of some voltage regulator gave up. Assuming no other problems, replacing the transistor and the close by capacitor will make things work again.

Exploded power FET and melted inductor... smells like short-circuited low voltage power supply.
It had to be quite smoky.

▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓ 100%
Virus check complete. All viruses are working properly.

Reply 3 of 6, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I missed that inductor completely, yeah, there's definitely a short down the line somewhere...

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 4 of 6, by Scott8bit

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
froller wrote on 2021-02-27, 16:33:
Tiido wrote on 2021-02-27, 16:22:

Exploded power FET and melted inductor... smells like short-circuited low voltage power supply.
It had to be quite smoky.

the house still stinks, Mrs isn’t happy she’s got all her Yankee candles on now haha.. I disconnected the PSU from the MB etc and it still seems to power up ok, I’ll have to check it with VOltmeter, wether or not I’ll risk using it again is another matter, I suppose it’s impossible to buy new AT Psus nowadays.

Thanks for the heads up on repairing, I’ll check into that, it’s probably easier to source the parts then find this exact socket5 mb

Reply 5 of 6, by froller

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Scott8bit wrote on 2021-02-27, 16:18:

Well that was a short trip down memory lane, interrupted with the putrid smell of burning 🤣.

1. Check (with Ohm-meter) if melted inductor's rightmost (on photo) pin has direct connection to the ground. It should after all that damage.
Normally with all the stuff plugged into MB there should be at least hundreds of Ohms or more. I bet you'll read around 0.5- 2.5 Ohms.

2. Remove one by one every PCI device, memory and CPU checking if line is still shorted.
You either find who to blame or ensure you are screwed.

▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓ 100%
Virus check complete. All viruses are working properly.

Reply 6 of 6, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

For a power supply, buy a nice, high quality ATX power supply and an ATX to AT adapter cable.

I refuse to use ancient AT power supplies when at all possible.

Newer power supplies output much cleaner power and have actual protection built in.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK