VOGONS

First post, by EPoX

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hey guys

i just wanted to know what are the cheap alternatives that you are using today to avoid Old Hard disk drives ( HDD from the 90s are difficult to find and get broken easly after so many years, they are also super noisy as hell). I have seen sometimes old HDD that after powering them after many years they tend to work and a couple minutes after they crash and corrupt everything.

1) im using an IDE to compact flash card adapter, but i noticed some corruption in one folder (no idea why it happened) other than that it was ok and detected the partition in the bios.its good if you happen to have many CF cards around. take them out. read them on another pc with a CF usb reader and transfer data.

2) i bought online some SATA2 IDE adapters, with the idea to connect a sata hard drive into an ide interface with an ide cable ( i have not tried that yet since im NOt sure how should i format for examble a 250gb drive in order for a 486 pc to get it recognized or format a 250gb drive as a 1GB partition for DOS and the bios to recognize it.

3) SD card adapter to ide, i noticed some of you bought that black SD card to IDE PCB adapter, never bought one but im interested.

just wondering what you are using?
i think if old HHD die maybe a newer HDD to make just a little noise would be better than having a zero noise 486 with an sd card.

please share your ecperiences!

Reply 1 of 13, by Oetker

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I use a m.2 Sata ssd in an adapter to normal Sata and then a Sata to ide adapter attached to that, but that's on a pentium 3.
In any case with your 486 the main issue with modern storage will be disk size limits, afaik a 250gb drive won't work without either drive overlay software, and xt-ide bios, or an ide/sata adapter that can talk to large drives (if you've got pci). Or going scsi.

486 and hard drive size limit.

Reply 2 of 13, by waterbeesje

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In my collection most stuff still has spinning rust as main hard drive, but I try to put in a CF adapter when there is an IDE channel free.

I do have a SD adapter, but I'm hardly using it. It always feels like SD cards will burn up much sooner then CF cards.

On some systems I also have SCSI but that's hardly modern: they use 9 or 18GB drives at max.

Eventually all pre-win95 stuff may end up using CF and post-win95 with SATA stuff.

Stuck at 10MHz...

Reply 4 of 13, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Not sure if this is helpful, but I prefer CF cards and DOMs.
I tend to avoid SD cards and SATA HDDs, because they require active adapters in order to be usable on IDE/PATA.

Which sadly are often of not so high quality.
The ones that I had gotten in the past often had bad soldering, ran hot or were slow.

By comparison, a half decent CF card can do IDE natively and has a lower latency than SD+another adapter.

When it comes to data storage, I never go the cheap route.
Well, if possible. If I'm in financial trouble, I'm open to use cheap solutions *temporarily*. 😀

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 5 of 13, by waterbeesje

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For long term storage and it's backup, don't go cheap.
I use a modern computer with enough space to store everything I like, and I backup that disk every now and then.
Any CF card reader will do to transfer data from modern to old.

I consider all storage on vintage hardware lost before it's in use. Even though an industrial CF may be reliable, the ancient controller may not be. Or the mobo. Or whatever.

Stuck at 10MHz...

Reply 6 of 13, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm one of those people that have plenty old HDDs (especially ones with smaller capacity), but old drives can be tricky to work with (and some of them are just obnoxiously loud). Virtually all of those are second hand or scavenged from dumped rigs etc. I ended up buying a lot of IDE 2.5in laptop drives with an equal amount of adapters. The drives are 20GB but it's enough to suffice for my intended purposes.
I'm not sure what kinda of solution I would go for these days. I'll probably not bother getting more retro storage unless it's interesting to me for some other purpose.

And I take the same route as Waterbeestje regarding storage on my retro rigs: I consider all data that I leave on it (like benchmark results and savegames etc) as expendable/'lost' and the stuff I really want to backup for whatever reason, I backup on either a different medium or on one of my main rigs).
I have used SATA2IDE adapters in the past but tbf I'm not really convinced this is the way to go. This was before SSDs though, so things might be different now.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 7 of 13, by squelch41

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I use a CF-IDE adapter as they're cheap and passive devices so less to go wrong

V4P895P3 VLB Motherboard AMD 486 133MHz
64mb RAM, CF 4Gb HDD,
Realtek 8019 ethernet + XT-IDE bios ROM, ES1869 soundcard, VLB Cirrus Logic GD5428 1mb VGA

440bx MSI 6119, modified slocket , Tualitin Celeron 1.2Ghz 256mb SD-RAM, CF 4GB HDD, FX5200 gfx

Reply 8 of 13, by douglar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

SD2IDE adapters are good for 486s. They have a lower latency on small seeks and the SD cards are cheap and everywhere.
Internally, most SD2IDE devices are capped at 25MB/s, but that's usually not a limit you reach on most 486 systems.
I did have some compatibility issues getting my SD2IDE adapter to talk to some early 486 EIDE controllers. Your mileage may vary.

I like CF's if I am going to be moving the devices between computers.
The base adapter is cheaper and they are more rugged.
I have not had compatibility issues with CFs and early EIDE controllers.
Got to watch out for 5v vs 3.3v compatibility occasionally.

40 Pin DOM devices are nice and perform well, but can be more expensive and are more difficult to move around.
Had some compatibility issues with the hyperdisk controller on some old EIDE controllers
Can be tough to run them faster than UDMA2/ATA33 without modding or getting a 40 female -40 female cable.
DOMs are are designed to hold tightly in industrial systems and can break brittle IDE sockets if you are careless. I ended up removing the latches off the sides of my DOMs.

If I'm going for max performance, I look at 16GB mSata SSD's devices w/ an adapter. Unlike the current generation of GPU's, they are dirt cheap these days.

If you are running win98, consider setting ConservativeSwapfileUsage=1 in your system.ini to reduce some of the swap file chatter.

Reply 9 of 13, by SodaSuccubus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Never had any bad luck with CF-IDE adapters.

Don't buy the cheap no name ones on eBay, same with CF cards. Get an adapter from a decent brand like StarTech and a card from a trusted manufacture like SanDisk.

Iv had a noname CF adapter die early, but my two StarTech's seem to be doing allright.

Reply 10 of 13, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
douglar wrote on 2021-03-08, 20:25:

If I'm going for max performance, I look at 16GB mSata SSD's devices w/ an adapter. Unlike the current generation of GPU's, they are dirt cheap these days.

I only had a few left and you prompted me to take a look on eBay.

Just picked up a lot of 10 for $25

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 13 of 13, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
douglar wrote on 2021-03-09, 04:08:
cyclone3d wrote on 2021-03-09, 03:42:

I only had a few left and you prompted me to take a look on eBay.

Just picked up a lot of 10 for $25

What adapter do you use for your mini SSD's ?

I mostly use them in laptops. Last time I ordered some, it was the Chinese ones with the white case.

For a desktop, you can use one of those and then a 44-pin to 40-pin + power adapter as well.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK