VOGONS

First post, by anonyfous

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi!

I recently acquired two old socket 3 motherboards and decided to build a childhood 486 system around them. Unfortunately one of the boards had the known battery leak problem and the traces from the battery were completely eaten, however the board has a external battery header, at least I believe that's what it is, it has three pins and it is marked "BAT" and pin 1 is also marked, Does anyone have an idea about how the external battery should be wired? Luckily it seems that otherwise the board is working just fine. It seems to be an Abit PW4 Rev 1.0 board, I haven't found a manual for this model, the only thing I have found is the jumper configuration table and jumper layout, but the "BAT" connector isn't there.

Thank you for any advice,

Lukas.

abit_pw4-pw4t_mama.jpg
Filename
abit_pw4-pw4t_mama.jpg
File size
159.53 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 5, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Is the 3-pin connector actually a 4-pin one with one pin removed? Something like this:

o x o o
1 2 3 4

If that's the case, usually the first pin (the one near the empty spot) is connected to the battery "+" and the opposite pin (4) goes to "-".

If you want to be 100% sure, just check the 2 outer pins of the connector with a multimeter. The pin that shows continuity with ground will connect to the battery "-".

By the way, the corroded traces may be necessary for proper behavior of the board, so I would suggest you fix them with some wires. Also be sure to clean the remains of battery electrolyte, otherwise it will keep on eating traces.

Reply 2 of 5, by anonyfous

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

No, it is just three pins in a row, however there is a four pin header "J1" right next to it. I will chech the ground pin with multimeter, but I still need to figure out the positive pin, I guess it is not a good idea to apply voltage to some random pins. Yep, I have already cleaned the board with vinegar, then rinsed it with water and dried with a fan. Fortunately the damage wasn't that bad, basically just the traces from the battery it self and a bit of the power rails, but nothing really serious. I was able to boot win 3.11 just fine.

D5B8D366-3402-494A-9BA8-0D6F5324F764.jpeg
Filename
D5B8D366-3402-494A-9BA8-0D6F5324F764.jpeg
File size
107.87 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 3 of 5, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

from the TH99 info J1 is the battery connector. probably pin 1 Vbat, pin 4 Gnd, though that's just a guess. better measure for certainty. Vbat will likely go to a diode. enjoy.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 5 of 5, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

here's another tip http://www.win3x.org/uh19/ enjoy.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port