Topic actions

First post, by moog

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

I'm looking for a S370 motherboard as described with rationale:
- dual socket S370 - I have 2 Tualatins and 2 LinLin adapters
- 2x ISA slots - some games crap themselves when the sound card is on DMA 0, and some sound cards require a negative 5V line, which can be supplied with a custom-made ISA card, pretty sure the power supply I have doesn't supply that line
- 4x DIMM slots - cause why the hell not? I already have a similar motherboard with maxed out RAM
- AGP slot compatible with AGPx2 cards - Voodoo 5500
- at least 2 PCI - ethernet and Voodoo 1

Does such a thing even exist? The amount of IDE ports doesn't matter. There should be at least 1 so I can plug in a CF card and a burner. My retro PC doubles as a PSX game burner.

Audigy 2 ZS in FreeDOS
LinLin adapter documentation
+ various capacitor list threads

Reply 1 of 24, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Better than using an ISA slot for the -5v addition would be to just use a power supply adapter that adds the -5v.

The guy that used to sell those cables seems to not be on eBay anymore.

You could either add a -5v converter to your power supply or use an extension and add the -5v converter to that. That way it would be much easier to deal with swapping it between power supplies.

Here is a site that sells a very easy to install adapter.
https://czh-labs.com/products/audiowind-5v-dc … -ic-5v-1a-p0695

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 2 of 24, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

As for dual socket 370 boards with 2 ISA slots... it would probably be better to look for a dual Slot-1 motherboard as they are much more likely to have 2 ISA slots.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 4 of 24, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
majestyk wrote on 2021-03-12, 08:17:

How about the ABIT BP6?
(It has 3 RAM slots though...)

That's only for PPGA Celerons as far as I know.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 5 of 24, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
majestyk wrote on 2021-03-12, 08:17:

How about the ABIT BP6?
(It has 3 RAM slots though...)

You'd have to get extremely lucky that yours runs on 133MHz, and as it doesn't even support Coppermine you'd need an ice-cream sandwich of PPGA to FC-PGA adapter (modded for BP6 SMP) and on top of that a lin-lin Tualatin adapter (or one of those pre-modded Tualatins).

I've seen all the elements needed here (BP6 at 133MHz, dual P3 on BP6 and Tualatin on BP6), but never two at the same time, let alone all three. It would be epic if someone could do it, but it's hardly an 'easy' way to get dual P3 with dual ISA... 😜

Reply 6 of 24, by majestyk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sadly true.

I´m afraid chances to find a board combining all the required features are very slim.
Even this (Supermicro?) lacks AGP.

maybe_supermicro.jpg
Filename
maybe_supermicro.jpg
File size
65.16 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Plus it has bloated capacitors 😉

Reply 9 of 24, by moog

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have found something very promising https://web.archive.org/web/20180107203756/ht … .com/p2bmod.htm

But the question now is, will it take 2GB RAM? And if not, is there any unofficial memory limit?

Audigy 2 ZS in FreeDOS

Reply 10 of 24, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
moog wrote on 2021-03-17, 14:10:

I have found something very promising https://web.archive.org/web/20180107203756/ht … .com/p2bmod.htm

But the question now is, will it take 2GB RAM? And if not, is there any unofficial memory limit?

440bx boards are limited to 1GB of RAM.
For 2GB you'll have to find a 440GX board.

Reply 11 of 24, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Gigabyte GA6VXD7 comes close with >optional< 1x ISA slot.

Filename
ga6vxd7.pdf
File size
1.34 MiB
Downloads
40 downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

See also:
Dual PIII-S Tualatin 1.4GHz, GA-6VXD7 Via 694x, 2GB PC133 CL2, Radeon HD4650. Source games in 1080p

Reply 12 of 24, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For negative 5V, you can add similar modification to power supply side, that essentially does what the ISA board does. ISA is just convenient, but you can do it on power-supply side, too.

I recently just got a ATX PSU, that does provide negative 5V to ease my life...

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!

Reply 13 of 24, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There are only very few sound cards that need -5v . See ISA Cards & Devices Requiring -5V .

If you are planning on using one of those, -5v is essential . Otherwise, it is unnecessary .

Reply 14 of 24, by moog

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The power supply I use is a 400W Seasonic FL. It was the final component to a fully passively cooled retro PC. Is there any tutorial online where I can learn how to mod any power supply?

Would I be able to cut it if I desoldered the 440BX and replaced it with a 440GX?

Audigy 2 ZS in FreeDOS

Reply 15 of 24, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You just need to use 5V linear regulator between ground and negative 12V to get your negative 5V.
Schematics are in git for the ISA card. You only really need 2 components - linear regulator and a small cap to stabilize negative 5V. 😉

https://github.com/necroware/voltage-blaster

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!

Reply 16 of 24, by zapbuzz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

They are so old its best to be happy with what you can have as stock because they are old and wouldn't last long modded. I had read countless old threads about my property lasting only a year with tullatins and a bios microcode update being designed for coppermines . A lot of money for a mod of little importance anyhow. Besides there are pentium 4 based developer boards with ISA , PCI, AGP and in some circumstances PCI-E as well.
If its dual cpu though, there is little with ISA and PCI with tullatins because they weren't designed in ISA generation and lack of AGP is they weren't marketed for desktop; servers where tullatins mainly lived their hay day with boring IBM's with ech-a-sketch built in GPU.
Most games of the pentium III era weren't aware of SMP or even the ones that did had poorly implemented code towards the end of Pentium III golden era so multi cpu for gaming wasn't recommended instead was recommended for others that used it for server applications and desktop productivity such as graphic design, office and commercial multimedia design. Jobs for SMP professionals that got paid not to game.
A single pentium III board board is heaps add a second only 25% to 75% of that second CPU will be useful simply that it isn't 2 cores in a single package and how well SMP was encoded.
Many dead dual cpu boards I have had always had 1 cpu still funtioning as the other wore out first!
Linux on your dual tullatins will give you linux powers however and I would recommend that for DOSBOX and other emulators perhaps a few classic games with the WINE layer.
If so, everyone beter say x86 is needed they're talking about stopping linux for it. And then I don't know if smp would be benefitted for games but the modern linux web browsers and multimedia might give a smile.

Reply 18 of 24, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you want a dual board that has AGP/PCI/2 ISA, then you want the ASUS P2B-DS. It is dual slot-1, but it supports Tualatin so you would just have to use slotket adapters for the CPUs.
http://www.os2museum.com/wp/the-ultimate-muse … m-pc-continued/

ASUS P2B-DS
Apart from the onboard Adaptec AIC-7890, the P2B-DS hardware is rather similar to the P6DBS, but the similarity is deceptive. The ASUS board is far more customizable, with supported FSB speeds of 66/75/83/100/103/112/133MHz. The AWARD BIOS also offers more options than the AMI BIOS. As an added bonus, the latest P2B-D/P2B-DS BIOS revisions even support Tualatin processors, something which is not available on the P6DBE.

I was again lucky and the P2B-DS is a revision 1.06 board with native support for Coppermine processors.

The P2B-DS also supports up to 1GB RAM in four slots, with the same caveats. It includes one AGP slot, four PCI slots, and two ISA slots (yay!); no slots are shared. For whatever reason, the P2B-DS did not come with any retaining clips.

The CPU slots on the P2B-DS are noticeably closer than those on the P6DBE, but the capacitors right next to the slots are lower. This is something to consider when choosing cooling options. Again the board was tested with two 850MHz Pentium IIIs and appears to be working just fine.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 19 of 24, by Bancho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PARKE wrote on 2021-03-17, 14:52:
Gigabyte GA6VXD7 comes close with >optional< 1x ISA slot. ga6vxd7.pdf See also: Dual PIII-S Tualatin 1.4GHz, GA-6VXD7 Via 694x, […]
Show full quote

Gigabyte GA6VXD7 comes close with >optional< 1x ISA slot.
ga6vxd7.pdf
See also:
Dual PIII-S Tualatin 1.4GHz, GA-6VXD7 Via 694x, 2GB PC133 CL2, Radeon HD4650. Source games in 1080p

I had this board with two 1400-S CPU's on Lin-Lin Adapters

H0bQAvwl.jpg

I had this board also, but never tested it with the Tualatins - Epox EP-DV3A

npMujgRl.jpg

Never seen a Dual S370 with 2 ISA though.