VOGONS

First post, by framebuffer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

A while ago I had to mount a Samba share on my Windows 98 systems and found that it doesn't really work out of the box.
After spending some time to understand the problem (and possible solutions) I decided that the best thing was to secure Windows 98 by enabling NTLM 2 and to do so I had to put together various peaces of information which I summarized in a blog post here: https://framebuffer.io/blog/win98-smb

So should you need to mount some Samba shares from a modern server to your Windows 98 Retro System feel free to check it 😉

Windows 98 and SAMBA | Quake CPU Benchmarks | GeForce2: GTS vs MX400

Reply 2 of 10, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Oetker wrote on 2021-03-15, 12:20:

So just to be clear, with this method I should be able to access a Windows 10 machine without enabling the SMB1.0 server?

nope. he's using samba shares 😀

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 3 of 10, by framebuffer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Oetker wrote on 2021-03-15, 12:20:

So just to be clear, with this method I should be able to access a Windows 10 machine without enabling the SMB1.0 server?

Unless they changes something recently, Windows 10 still supports authentication over NTLM2, so yes, it should work, although I haven't tried yet (will do asap)

Reply 4 of 10, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Very good post. The only downside is that this requires the Win98 user to have the same username used for the SMB share. For example, my Win98 user is "Bruno Castello", but does not match "bruno" for the SMB share. Therefore I need to create a new user. I'd rather be able to change my username but looks like the only way is to create a new user and transfer some files (I still don't know which ones) to the new profile so I could keep my preferences and desktop icons.

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 5 of 10, by framebuffer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Bruninho wrote on 2021-03-15, 13:53:

Very good post. The only downside is that this requires the Win98 user to have the same username used for the SMB share. For example, my Win98 user is "Bruno Castello", but does not match "bruno" for the SMB share. Therefore I need to create a new user. I'd rather be able to change my username but looks like the only way is to create a new user and transfer some files (I still don't know which ones) to the new profile so I could keep my preferences and desktop icons.

yes but it work also the other way around, just create a new user on the server that matches the one you have on Windows 98 and give him permissions for the share.
this way you don't have to touch you local account on Win98 😉

Reply 6 of 10, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
framebuffer wrote on 2021-03-15, 15:31:
Bruninho wrote on 2021-03-15, 13:53:

yes but it work also the other way around, just create a new user on the server that matches the one you have on Windows 98 and give him permissions for the share.
this way you don't have to touch you local account on Win98 😉

Yeah I've got to find out how to change my Time Capsule username. The most interesting thing is that I can access TC on my macOS 9.2.2 VM using DAVE. Windows XP can do the same. Even Windows 3.11 can see them but can't access them.

To me, the fact that 20+ years old operating system can still see them, I know TC still uses SMB 1.0, but this is still amazing to me.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 8 of 10, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
framebuffer wrote on 2021-03-15, 20:48:

Oh, well, getting Samba shares mounted from Time Capsule to Windows 98 is another level man 😁
Good luck!

You were saying? 🤣!! I can’t believe I did it

Thanks for your simple yet very effective tip!! I have been trying to do that for months, had no idea of what was the roadblock, and actually it was two things, the username and my QEMU network settings for that virtual machine. Now all my VMs except Windows 3.11 can access the TC!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    Filename
    image.jpg
    File size
    1.7 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 9 of 10, by framebuffer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Bruninho wrote on 2021-03-15, 22:03:
framebuffer wrote on 2021-03-15, 20:48:

Oh, well, getting Samba shares mounted from Time Capsule to Windows 98 is another level man 😁
Good luck!

You were saying? 🤣!! I can’t believe I did it

Thanks for your simple yet very effective tip!! I have been trying to do that for months, had no idea of what was the roadblock, and actually it was two things, the username and my QEMU network settings for that virtual machine. Now all my VMs except Windows 3.11 can access the TC!

WOW that's amazing!
glad I've been of any help 😉

Reply 10 of 10, by DeadnightWarrior

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Great, I'll have to try this!
My "solution" to access my NAS from Win98 was like Columbus' egg: enabling FTP and using Filezilla.
But being able to mount a network share would be awesome!