VOGONS

First post, by Steapa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry if that's a dumb question, but it is possible?

Last month I found a PC-Chips M729 REV:1.2 motherboard that originally came with one of those cards. According to the manual, it provides "PS/2 Mouse, 2 USB interface, and Infrared connectors".

I guess it is similar to this one:

?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.pccables.com%2Fimages%2FUSB-INFARED-PS2-ATX-Form-Card.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

Without it, I'm stuck with serial mice and I can't find any for sale. Actually, I found one on eBay, but it was stupidly expensive.
So I was thinking, it is possible to reverse engineer this card and make new ones from off-shelf components? Anyone ever did this? Is it too difficult/impossible?

This is not the only mobo that came with those cards, the PC100 M747 also came with one.

This is the mobo I found in a recycling center:

Attachments

• board.png
    Filename
    board.png
    File size
    1.68 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 1 of 8, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm not seeing the connector for that add-on card on the photo of your motherboard. Are you sure that add-on board is correct for your motherboard. The only connector I do see on the rear edge between isa and pci is for the sound connectors if memory serves me right.
Also
You could add a 8-2 pin layout (6pin) next to the keyboard connector (in the silkscreen of ps2mouseconnector) to which you could add a ps2 mouse connector, or a pin header to a ps2 mouse connector on a cable.

ps. I really really really really really really really really really dislike any pentium2 and newer pcchips boards.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 2 of 8, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The J4 connector is under the AGP slot. If you can get a pin diagram you can probably try just running hobby wires directly to a PS/2 connectors. The picture you posted has some capacitors and resistors on it, and I am not PCB expert at all, but they look like most of the business is on the wires leading to the USB ports. The PS/2 lines look pretty clean.

EDIT: Serial mice aren't expensive at all, they just suck. You can even find optical serial mouse if you really want.

Reply 3 of 8, by Steapa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
weedeewee wrote on 2021-03-15, 19:53:
I'm not seeing the connector for that add-on card on the photo of your motherboard. Are you sure that add-on board is correct fo […]
Show full quote

I'm not seeing the connector for that add-on card on the photo of your motherboard. Are you sure that add-on board is correct for your motherboard. The only connector I do see on the rear edge between isa and pci is for the sound connectors if memory serves me right.
Also
You could add a 8-2 pin layout (6pin) next to the keyboard connector (in the silkscreen of ps2mouseconnector) to which you could add a ps2 mouse connector, or a pin header to a ps2 mouse connector on a cable.

ps. I really really really really really really really really really dislike any pentium2 and newer pcchips boards.

The manual says to connect it at J4, between the PCI and AGP slots.

Thank you! I did not know about that ps2 connector, the manual does not show anything there. Anyway to also add USB support?

Attachments

• j4.png
    Filename
    j4.png
    File size
    28.27 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 4 of 8, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Steapa wrote on 2021-03-15, 20:07:

Thank you! I did not know about that ps2 connector, the manual does not show anything there. Anyway to also add USB support?

Oh okay ! Good, I didn't see that on the photo.
and yes, reverse engineering that should be easy. 2x2 signals for the USB ports and 2x2 signals for the PS2 ports, and the rest for ground and 5v. if you have a multimeter you could measure for continuity on the pins, ps2mouse and keyboard connector and the ground and 5v lines. only guesswork would be the D- and D+ usb lines. which would be as easy as connecting a device, detected is good, not detected is switch two wires and try again. there's only two possiblities for that. times 2 since there's two ports.

Heck, I think you can even add one of those 2 usb ports on a backplate addons to it, then you'll only need to get a ps2 connector for the mouse and /or keyboard.

Do not ask Why !

Reply 5 of 8, by fosterwj03

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This website shows the pinout of an ATX Form Card. It looks physically like the one on your board, but lists an IR header as well as PS/2 and USB.

https://www.interloper.com/products/details.p … =101688&cat=141

Sorry in advanced that it's on a retailer's product page.

Reply 6 of 8, by fosterwj03

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Actually now that I'm searching online, I've seen a number of retailers that carry these cards/slots. The lowest priced one I found sells for $8 US. It might cost you less to buy and ship one of these rather than make one with individual parts.

Reply 7 of 8, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
fosterwj03 wrote on 2021-03-15, 20:14:

This website shows the pinout of an ATX Form Card. It looks physically like the one on your board, but lists an IR header as well as PS/2 and USB.

https://www.interloper.com/products/details.p … =101688&cat=141

Sorry in advanced that it's on a retailer's product page.

Cool find, that pinout seems like exactly what OP needs.

Do not ask Why !

Reply 8 of 8, by Steapa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
mothergoose729 wrote on 2021-03-15, 20:03:

The J4 connector is under the AGP slot. If you can get a pin diagram you can probably try just running hobby wires directly to a PS/2 connectors. The picture you posted has some capacitors and resistors on it, and I am not PCB expert at all, but they look like most of the business is on the wires leading to the USB ports. The PS/2 lines look pretty clean.

EDIT: Serial mice aren't expensive at all, they just suck. You can even find optical serial mouse if you really want.

Sorry, my English sucks. I was trying to say that the cards are expensive(at least for me), not the mice.

weedeewee wrote on 2021-03-15, 20:12:
Steapa wrote on 2021-03-15, 20:07:

Heck, I think you can even add one of those 2 usb ports on a backplate addons to it, then you'll only need to get a ps2 connector for the mouse and /or keyboard.

Ok, I'll try it and post my results here.
I'm doing this because I can buy everything I need locally. The only sites that ship to my country are Amazon, Aliexpress, and eBay, but the tariffs/shipping costs are too high.

Thank you, everyone.