VOGONS

First post, by RedFive

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I recently got hold of a AT&T PC6300 and have been restoring it. The hard drive that came with the unit is dead, so I bought a XT-CF-lite card from TexElec to to replace it. Unfortunately this unit has the older BIOS revision 1.21 which won't boot from the card. I found a website with the newer 1.43 BIOS I need, but I have no idea how to install it on my machine. Is there anyone on here that could help me figure this out?

Reply 1 of 3, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The original BIOS chips are Fujitsu mbm2764-30 from the pictures in Google but -25 will work fine.
I would NOT UV erase your original BIOS chips but buy new/used ones and then program them.
You will need a programmer (like TL866 pro, etc), the two BIOS files, two BIOS chips and a UV erase light (if they are not properly erased IF you get EEPROM).
Is possible to get flashable EPROMS but you will still need a programmer.

Attachments

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2 of 3, by RedFive

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Wow, thanks! That's exatcly what I needed to know. This has been a big learning experience, and a lot of fun. I've never messed around with programming EPROMS or changing BIOS chips so this is pretty advanced stuff for me. The parts are ordered, I'm looking forward to trying this out.