gpu: ti 4200 8x agp
voodoo3 3000 pci
ram: 1x 512 ddr400
hdd: 80gb 7200rpm ata
fdd
dvd drive
psu: corsair cx-450
soundcard: sblive!

I can't get voodoo3 tools to install and windows freezes every time I open display settings when I am using the voodoo3. Can't figure out if this is a motherboard/pci bus issue or a voodoo3 issue.

background: I had this system installed and working no problem for less than a week. Hadn't tested out the voodoo in gaming- got it recently (as well as the motherboard- my first 98se build after re-purposing some parts from an xp build).

3dfx tools were installed, I could change settings, and a couple days ago I installed Streets of Sim City to enjoy seeing it play so much better with the voodoo than the ti4200.

Everything seemed fine.

I installed a bunch of old 3.1/95 games that each had their own version of quicktime and started getting frustrated trying to get them all to work. Still using the voodoo/pci graphics. Then, I changed the display resolution from 1024x768 32 bit color to 800x600 256 colors for one of the games. All of a sudden, I couldn't change it back- every time I opened display settings it froze, and I would have to close it with ctrl-alt-delete.

I couldn't figure out the problem, and the build was so new, so I said 'fuck it' and just formatted the drive and re-installed 98se. Ever since, I get the same exact problem with the voodoo- the pc can't install 3dfx tools, and it freezes when I go to display settings- it's stuck at the default 800x600 when I use pci graphics.

Tried re-formatting and re-installing again- same problem, and after switching back to the ti-4200, everything works fine via agp graphics (all within the same windows installation).

So its definitely either a voodoo problem or a pci problem.

Only additional info that points to possibly a pci issue to me is that ever since I had the display setting problem, each time I re-installed windows (twice now), windows hangs and struggles to install sblive! drivers/software. The livewire 3 installer crashes and I have to install the software from the cd by navigating to each program's setup file. Totally new experience since the voodoo issue.

I've tried switching the sb card and voodoo pci slots and the problem persists.

A friend might have a 775 motherboard with no agp- just pci slots - that I can use to test the voodoo3 later this week.

In the meantime, does this sound familiar to anyone? The voodoo3 wasn't DOA- it did work and game- but then it just crapped out after I changed the display settings and something happened.

Thanks for any insights or ideas!

Reply 1 of 5, by thevdm

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I had similar issues when setting up an AGP Voodoo3 3500 in Windows 98. The control panel would crash whenever opened. I downloaded a few different version of the driver and eventually one worked perfectly.

As you are having issues with the PCI Voodoo and the sound card, I'd check you have the latest chipset drivers installed. If you're running with the Voodoo and Ti installed at the same time, I'd recommend trying with only the Voodoo installed and removing any nVidea drivers.

Hope you can get it working again!

Gaming rig: Dell Dimension XPS T500 - PIII 500 - 288MB RAM - Voodoo3 3000 - SoundBlaster Live! Value - DVD-ROM - CD-RW - 3.5" 1.44 - 98SE & 2000 dual boot
A nostalgic pile of laptops from the late 80's to late 90s.

Reply 2 of 5, by jfarms

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah I had already installed the latest VIA drivers- I've tried installing drivers in different sequences each time I re-installed windows. On my last install I had only installed the Voodoo and ran into the problem so it's not the presence of the ti.

I don't know what other voodoo drivers to try- I used the 1.4 drivers from vogons that had worked previously- and they're working somewhat. That's what confuses me- the pc recognizes it as a voodoo 3dfx gpu... mostly. It's like a partial recognition 🤣. I'm befuddled.

I'm also thinking it might be the motherboard because some chipset drivers don't work properly (msi still has them archived on the website- they're the right ones), and the VIA hardware monitor doesn't work.

I wish I could just pick up another voodoo to try it out- they're so damn expensive these days. I was looking at getting another MB- I wanted one with an intel chipset...

Reply 3 of 5, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You can try it in plain dos to see if the card itself works properly, bypassing all the windows/drivers potential problems in order to narrow down your troubleshooting. Just make sure to try something that works with a voodoo3 and to have the correct patch/batch file if needed.

Reply 4 of 5, by jfarms

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
konc wrote on 2021-03-17, 09:27:

You can try it in plain dos to see if the card itself works properly, bypassing all the windows/drivers potential problems in order to narrow down your troubleshooting. Just make sure to try something that works with a voodoo3 and to have the correct patch/batch file if needed.

You mean by formatting and then installing dos? or through dos mode in 98se?

Reply 5 of 5, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
jfarms wrote on 2021-03-17, 16:19:
konc wrote on 2021-03-17, 09:27:

You mean by formatting and then installing dos? or through dos mode in 98se?

Yes by booting in plain dos before entering windows, no need to delete anything just for this test.