VOGONS

First post, by Law212

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I noticed an issue with my 486 tonight. IN DOS, if i install a game that has multiple disks , when the game asks to switch to the next disk and I do, the system doesnt recognize that the new disk is different. When i install the same game through windows it seems to work fine.

Reply 1 of 6, by Law212

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I was thinking it might have to do with the buffers line in the autoexec file? Ill have to check it out this week.
I also would like to know what a good video card would be for a 486 ? one that isnt expensive or hard to find.

Reply 2 of 6, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Law212 wrote on 2021-03-02, 03:34:

I noticed an issue with my 486 tonight. IN DOS, if i install a game that has multiple disks , when the game asks to switch to the next disk and I do, the system doesnt recognize that the new disk is different. When i install the same game through windows it seems to work fine.

Law212 wrote on 2021-03-16, 17:41:

I was thinking it might have to do with the buffers line in the autoexec file? Ill have to check it out this week.
I also would like to know what a good video card would be for a 486 ? one that isnt expensive or hard to find.

After the conclusion I didn't check your thread again until now. Probably the same for other members.
It's best to make a new thread for a different question regarding a different PC.
There are a couple of boards with a buggy drive controller (CMD640) that causes similar issues. This behaviour would be fixed with Win95(c?)/Win98 drivers. Without knowing the mobo it's hard to guess though.
Same for VGA cards for 486 systems. There are tons of options depending on what slots you have avaliable.
Let's discuss this in a new thread. 😀

Reply 3 of 6, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

if you can... try a different floppy drive and or cable to rule out a hardware issue.
also from your first photos, you seem to have an extra IO controller in there. do you really need that ? It could cause issues, though it gives you also options to try, like disable the motherboard onboard fdd port and use the one on the io card.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 4 of 6, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
weedeewee wrote on 2021-03-17, 08:38:

if you can... try a different floppy drive and or cable to rule out a hardware issue.
also from your first photos, you seem to have an extra IO controller in there. do you really need that ? It could cause issues, though it gives you also options to try, like disable the motherboard onboard fdd port and use the one on the io card.

If you are referring to the photos in this thread they are of his Pentium system that was the initial subject.
I'll ask the mods to split this discussion off to avoid more confusion. 👌

Reply 6 of 6, by Law212

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
weedeewee wrote on 2021-03-17, 08:38:

Thanks for the reply. I havent been on in a while, but I have been messing with the computers again lately. Yes, I have been having different issues with different computers so maybe its confusing.