VOGONS

Has this 486 L2 cache registered OK?

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 23, by WazMeister

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Deksor wrote on 2021-03-19, 13:27:

These chips look fake to me. The datecode is way off (made in 2015 ??? No way) and the markings are quite dark. Way more than the chip with the white markings which was made in 1997 (more likely). Moreover, the "dot" pattern is different on each chip. Some have two large dots on each side and others don't. This screams fake.

They may be real chips inside. But who knows what brand/specs they were initially and what they went through ...

Fake, that mean no actual ram in them or something?

Got them off ebay........oh man! How do I know if I need to buy more and their real?

Reply 21 of 23, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Fake in the sense : recycled chips from ewaste : desoldered, silkscreen erased, cleaned, pins straightened, tined, painted, and finally laser printed with a misleading name.
The brand is probably wrong, so are the timings probably. The size may or may not be faked. It depends. Sometimes they put compatible chips, sometimes they put chips that have nothing to do with what you're supposed to have. Sometimes you get just dead chips (given the conditions in which they were pulled off ... they travelled half of the world in bins where it could have rained on it, they were pulled off with heat guns and no ESD safe precautions, etc).

There's a test you can do (which isn't 100% accurate when it fails but is certain when it works). You put some alcohol on a Q-Tip and rub it firmly against the top of the chip. If the top is starting to get off, it's faked. You can ask for a refund and the seller will give your money back right away.

Look out for silly datecodes like retro chips made in the 2010's, chips that don't look like their legit counterpart (compare your fake chips with the chip with white text and the 1997 datecode).

There are also very interesting videos on the subject : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12u_hBkHB88
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k72SFBOZ_lw

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 22 of 23, by WazMeister

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
weedeewee wrote on 2021-03-19, 13:41:
I did mention you had to skip 2... ? so no idea why it's working , but meh. the way I read it now, all jumpers are set to 1-2 R […]
Show full quote
WazMeister wrote on 2021-03-18, 22:39:

Right, it says 128kb now.. Is that right? Moved jumpers around and added more.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/isrrtiVCiDyJjKdr6

I did mention you had to skip 2... ? so no idea why it's working , but meh.
the way I read it now, all jumpers are set to 1-2
Reading the schematics with the jumper settings underneath, it should be

--oo--o--
--oo--o--

with -- being a jumper and o an open pin.

but as I said... meh.. I dunno why it works now, oh wait, the 128 is determined by the first two on the left set to 1-2 so yeah...
enjoy.

Did jumpers this way, report 32kb now and not 128kb.....