VOGONS

First post, by majestyk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I recently got this nice LPX board and it´s one of the versions that had been stripped of some additional components / features probably because the company they prtoduced it for demanded a cheaper version.
So I decided to fill the empty places. This is the original situation:

1GACV.jpg
Filename
1GACV.jpg
File size
172.75 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

First I added the sockets for the additional 1MB Zig-Zag video RAM

2GACV.jpg
Filename
2GACV.jpg
File size
1.66 MiB
Views
File license

then the EPROM Bios was replaced by a Flash-ROM so the latest BIOS could be installed easily

3GACV.jpg
Filename
3GACV.jpg
File size
2 MiB
Views
File license

the original soldered Lithium cell was dead and the new one is now sitting in a battery holder

4GACV.jpg
Filename
4GACV.jpg
File size
1.4 MiB
Views
File license

missing cache chips had to be fitted in

5GACV.jpg
Filename
5GACV.jpg
File size
1.68 MiB
Views
File license

To make this complete the onboard VRM circuit components had to be soldered in place

Reply 1 of 11, by majestyk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There are the typical components involved here. In the second piture I marked the additional components that had been missing.

6GACV.jpg
Filename
6GACV.jpg
File size
1.47 MiB
Views
File license
7GACV.jpg
Filename
7GACV.jpg
File size
1.05 MiB
Views
File license

With the new BIOS all Intel and AMD DX4 and Cyrix CPUs can be used. I will try an AMD DX5 - 133 MHz next week. I hope to also have the two video RAM chips available until then.

Here´s an overview of the board in it´s current state:

8GACV.JPG
Filename
8GACV.JPG
File size
1.77 MiB
Views
File license

Several limitations have been solved, I wish I had the original ISA-VLB riser card for this mainboard to be able add a network card or VLB graphics.

Reply 3 of 11, by majestyk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Several FIC 486 mainboards had switching regulators. Later, when CPUs demanded more power, they switched to linear regulators with bigger heatsinks just to return to switching regulators on the socket 7 boards to provide the even higher power for Pentium (MMX) K6-2 and K6-3 processors.

Today I equipped this 486-GACV with a AMD "X5-133AWD":

GACV_133.JPG
Filename
GACV_133.JPG
File size
257.88 KiB
Views
File license

Double RAS SIMMS must to be placed in slots "SIM3" and "SIM4" here.
You can also see the jumpering here: Array RC1 must be populated, jumper "JC6" needs to be set to "2-3" (multi x2) to operate at 4 x 33 MHz.
BIOS version "3276 gn1" supports and correctly identifies this processor unlike earlier versions. Write Back L1 cache is enabled correctly.

GACV_133c.JPG
Filename
GACV_133c.JPG
File size
98.54 KiB
Views
File license
GACV_133b.JPG
Filename
GACV_133b.JPG
File size
157.62 KiB
Views
File license

I´m still waiting for the additional 1MB video RAM to arrive...

Reply 4 of 11, by carlosjor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have the same board but it was complete from factory.
I was thinking in using the same CPU as you, but I don't know yet if it provides the required voltage.
Can you take photos of the VRM area as you have it and the jumpers all over the board?
Would be very helpfull.

Reply 5 of 11, by majestyk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It´s all in this thread.
You can see all the general jumpering on my "8GACV.jpg" picture above.
The complete jumpering for the AM5x86 - 133 CPU can be seen in picture "GACV133.jpg" above.

The output voltage of the VRM circuit is determined by the resistors R68 and R69 alone. For R69 = 2K and R68 = 3.6K you get around 3.4V output.
In the datasheet for the "2576T-ADJ" you find the formula for calculating the resistors for any alternative voltage in case you need it.

And don´t forget to flash the latest BIOS version "3276 gn1" for AM5x86 for enabling write back L1 cache.

Reply 6 of 11, by carlosjor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you, that adicional information about the resistors is great.
The BIOS, I already flashed the last one, but the CPU isn't always correctly detected, even with the original. It have a Intel DX4 66, but most of the times it is detected as "Unknown 60Mhz", 75 or even 80. I don't know what is the issue with that...

Reply 8 of 11, by carlosjor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry, It is a Intel DX2 66. The board/bios don't detect it most of the time, and is 100% as it should be configured... A friend said something about a cristal not working right, but I'm in the dark about that...
I have access to the same CPU you have, I'll give that a try this next week...

Reply 9 of 11, by majestyk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Both DX2 / 66 and AM5x86 / 133 need 33MHz oscillator frequency. Ii is set by jumpers JK1-JK4. If the frequency is unstable (with the 5x86 as well) the oscillator circuit or the crystal could be the culprit.

You will also need the jumper array "RC1" that isn´t needed for DX2. Sometimes it´s missing if the booard was originally equipped with a DX CPU.

Reply 10 of 11, by carlosjor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, so this could be a good help, if the AM5x86 133 is not identified as it should, the cristal could be bad...
My board is from a AIO, a Fujistu ICL PCTV that I'm trying to restore and make a bit bether. The original CPU was a IBM Blue Lightning 66Mhz, installed a Intel DX2 66Mhz and even flashed a new bios to see if the CPU was correctly detected, but those 2 CPUs both are identified as whatever it feels like...
I have to confirm the VRM voltage and see if I receive the new CPU by friday so I can test it all...

Reply 11 of 11, by carlosjor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The R68 and R69, do you mean R66 and R69? Those are the ones on the VRM area...

And I have a jumper in CN11, I see ypu have headers but no jumper...

Attachments