VOGONS

First post, by jfarms

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

I've been searching for a motherboard that was both socket 775 and had agp 3.3v compatibility for quite some time and haven't found one. I could have sworn I saw philscomputerlab refer to one in a video, but I'm almost wondering if its the mandala effect at this point. Anyone know of any such motherboards?

Thanks in advance

Reply 3 of 16, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Curious why you would want to tie down a soc 478 or soc755 AGP capable board to a 3.3v AGP 1x or 2x card ?

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 4 of 16, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jfarms wrote on 2021-03-29, 22:03:

Maybe it was that he mentioned a socket 478 p4 like the asus p4s533 - manual says it supports any AGP 4X/2X cards - and I got it switched because I thought 775 when I heard p4.

Vogons has a thread for P4 boards with a universal AGP slot. Socket 423/478 Motherboards with Universal AGP Slot

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 6 of 16, by jfarms

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Horun wrote on 2021-03-30, 02:37:

Curious why you would want to tie down a soc 478 or soc755 AGP capable board to a 3.3v AGP 1x or 2x card ?

Glide! 🤣- for a 98se build I want to do with a v5 5500- that's my sweet spot for nostalgia gaming. I already have a p4 4200ti build. Can't find a v5 5500 pci for an amount I'd be willing to spend.

Reply 8 of 16, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
jfarms wrote on 2021-03-30, 11:52:
Horun wrote on 2021-03-30, 02:37:

Glide! 🤣- for a 98se build I want to do with a v5 5500- that's my sweet spot for nostalgia gaming. I already have a p4 4200ti build. Can't find a v5 5500 pci for an amount I'd be willing to spend.

Realistically speaking: If your P4 is good enough for your 4200 Ti why do you think you need S775 for a Voodoo 5500?
I support the idea of getting the most out of that graphics card with a fast CPU but anything worth using S775 for is way past the point of diminishing returns of performance scaling with CPU speed.
If you can find a SiS 645DX P4 board like suggested you're golden. S462 boards with Via KT333 chipset are also great for very fast V5500 builds.

Reply 9 of 16, by Peter5557

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have built a V5-5500 - Pentium4 Gaming rig that is making a lot of fun. Have the P4S533 Mainboard in it, and can really recommend it. I had no problems with installing Win98se and WinXP on a single IDE hard drive. Sure the SIS chipsets might not be the fastest, but they are really compatible with older operating systems i think.

Now its running with 2 WD Raptor Sata Hdds in Raid 0, but this was a hard pice of work to get it to run....

Had a few socket775 mainboards with AGP, but they were always 1,5V only.

Reply 10 of 16, by bloodem

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Generally speaking, I'm all for strange overkill builds, but for the life of me... I just don't understand the trend of weird PC (CPU) choices when it comes to the Voodoo 5 5500 😀
The Voodoo 5 5500 is about as fast as a GeForce 256 DDR. So I'm curious: would anyone ever use a GeForce 256 on a Socket 775 platform (or even a socket 478 platform)?

You're going for the Voodoo 5 because you probably want to play Glide games that support higher resolutions and 32 bit textures. In these cases, the card will become a bottleneck way before the CPU does (even if that CPU is a Pentium 3 Coppermine).

I would not use anything newer than a Tualatin 1.4 GHz (and that's already overkill/unbalanced for what this card can do).

1 x PLCC-68 / 2 x PGA132 / 5 x Skt 3 / 9 x Skt 7 / 12 x SS7 / 1 x Skt 8 / 14 x Slot 1 / 5 x Slot A
5 x Skt 370 / 8 x Skt A / 2 x Skt 478 / 2 x Skt 754 / 3 x Skt 939 / 7 x LGA775 / 1 x LGA1155
Current PC: Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Backup PC: Core i7 7700k

Reply 12 of 16, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I would agree that a voodoo 5500 doesn't need more than a 1ghz p3 to get all its worth out of it.

The voodoo 5500 is also, IMO, not a great card even for retro gamers. All it offers over a voodoo 3 is better performance in games you would want to run on a geforce anyway, and you can apply some AA to old glide games that didn't support it I guess. Or you can just use nglide and a geforce GPU can get better performance and visuals. It all starts to get pretty murky pretty fast.

Not that everything has to be practical of course. I spent a lot of money on a pair of voodoo 2's, not because voodoo 2 sli makes that much sense, but because voodoo 2 sli is really cool and I want it 😁. So I can understand the allure of the fastest voodoo machine possible for it's own sake.

Reply 13 of 16, by jfarms

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
bloodem wrote on 2021-03-30, 17:16:
Generally speaking, I'm all for strange overkill builds, but for the life of me... I just don't understand the trend of weird PC […]
Show full quote

Generally speaking, I'm all for strange overkill builds, but for the life of me... I just don't understand the trend of weird PC (CPU) choices when it comes to the Voodoo 5 5500 😀
The Voodoo 5 5500 is about as fast as a GeForce 256 DDR. So I'm curious: would anyone ever use a GeForce 256 on a Socket 775 platform (or even a socket 478 platform)?

You're going for the Voodoo 5 because you probably want to play Glide games that support higher resolutions and 32 bit textures. In these cases, the card will become a bottleneck way before the CPU does (even if that CPU is a Pentium 3 Coppermine).

I would not use anything newer than a Tualatin 1.4 GHz (and that's already overkill/unbalanced for what this card can do).

The reason is that CPU affects more than just gaming. Doing all the little things on the desktop, managing files, unzipping, etc... all feel just a bit snappier on a p4 than a p3. Plus, it's generally easier to find a cheap quality cooler for socket 775. These are CPU's and MB's that all roughly cost the same- if anything p4's are cheaper at the moment than p3's.

So all things being equal, why not want the snappier non-gaming performance?

Reply 14 of 16, by jfarms

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
mothergoose729 wrote on 2021-03-30, 18:36:

I would agree that a voodoo 5500 doesn't need more than a 1ghz p3 to get all its worth out of it.

The voodoo 5500 is also, IMO, not a great card even for retro gamers. All it offers over a voodoo 3 is better performance in games you would want to run on a geforce anyway, and you can apply some AA to old glide games that didn't support it I guess. Or you can just use nglide and a geforce GPU can get better performance and visuals. It all starts to get pretty murky pretty fast.

Not that everything has to be practical of course. I spent a lot of money on a pair of voodoo 2's, not because voodoo 2 sli makes that much sense, but because voodoo 2 sli is really cool and I want it 😁. So I can understand the allure of the fastest voodoo machine possible for it's own sake.

I think this is a good point- but it's a question of specific needs. I had a voodoo3 pci card that burned out. That was my first choice in my ti 4200 p4 powerhouse system. Due to space constraints, I'm only going to have one retro system (other than my sff XP system). Would I rather have a p3 v5 5500 agp? or a p4 ti 4200 agp? Personally, I'd pick the voodoo 10 times out of 10 because anything the ti 4200 can run better can also run in XP.

The thing about retro builds is its so need specific I think- and that's how we all get sucked down rabbit holes collecting tons of parts and tinkering to scratch each new itch we get and have it come together 'perfectly' (when there is no perfect).

Reply 15 of 16, by auron

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rmay635703 wrote on 2021-03-30, 18:28:

Which brings me to a point how much faster is the RTX 3080 versus the original GeForce 256 in real benchmarks?

Order of thousands or millions?

depends on the metric you're going by, but if you mean benchmarks from when the geforce 256 was current, probably not as much faster as you think. there's things such as CPU limits and old APIs that don't run all that efficiently on newer OSes and hardware.

@OP, maybe you were thinking of the asrock 4coredual boards? those were oddball 775 boards with AGP, no 3.3v though.

Reply 16 of 16, by bloodem

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jfarms wrote on 2021-03-30, 23:10:

The reason is that CPU affects more than just gaming. Doing all the little things on the desktop, managing files, unzipping, etc... all feel just a bit snappier on a p4 than a p3. Plus, it's generally easier to find a cheap quality cooler for socket 775.

OK, I can agree with that. Windows 98 simply flies with a Pentium 4 / Athlon 64 (not to mention a Core 2 Duo), especially when also using an SSD.

jfarms wrote on 2021-03-30, 23:10:

These are CPU's and MB's that all roughly cost the same- if anything p4's are cheaper at the moment than p3's.

This, on the other hand, is debatable (or at least country/region dependent). More "exotic" P4 motherboards with universal AGP slot are definitely more expensive/rare than your average socket 478 or socket 370 motherboard. For example, in my country I can buy right now a P3 + socket 370 motherboard for < $20.
Having said that, I understand your point. If you're after a super snappy Voodoo 5 build... I'm not going to judge for spending more. We all did it at some point... 😀

rmay635703 wrote on 2021-03-30, 18:28:

Which brings me to a point how much faster is the RTX 3080 versus the original GeForce 256 in real benchmarks?
Order of thousands or millions?

I would say that the 3080's theoretical raw power capability is between 3 to 4 orders of magnitude higher than that of the GeForce 256. However, in most modern cases, its power is infinitely greater, since it has support for features that the GeForce 256 didn't even dream of having, and many of those features in and of themselves greatly increase performance and quality (like tessellation, which in certain cases can give you 10 times the mesh detail while requiring 20 times less memory bandwidth).

1 x PLCC-68 / 2 x PGA132 / 5 x Skt 3 / 9 x Skt 7 / 12 x SS7 / 1 x Skt 8 / 14 x Slot 1 / 5 x Slot A
5 x Skt 370 / 8 x Skt A / 2 x Skt 478 / 2 x Skt 754 / 3 x Skt 939 / 7 x LGA775 / 1 x LGA1155
Current PC: Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Backup PC: Core i7 7700k