VOGONS

First post, by waterbeesje

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi all,

At the moment I've got about 50-60 sticks of72 pin ram. Sizes vary from 2 to 32MB. In order to keep track of what's what, I decided to sort them : EDO in one bag, fastpage in another.
For most sticks I've figured out where they belong, bit a few still are unidentified.

What I tried:

Look at the sticks. Mostly all labels have disappeared.

Test them. My 72p capable systems all support both Edo and fp but none says which it is. Just there's memory present in banks xx.

Look up the chip numbers. About one third of my chips are identified this way. The remaining searches give results like "we don't know what we selling but this is aviation and horribly expensive for that and we don't have datasheets or any info on them at all because you know what you're looking for"

So is there some piece of software that tells me what it is?

Stuck at 10MHz...

Reply 1 of 4, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I test them on a Pentium I system and you get the proper info in the system information table at boot (before loading OS).

Like seen here:
https://i.imgur.com/2NtY1YS.jpg

If mixing FPM and EDO in the same bank it can get confused. So it's best to test the same modules in one bank at a time.

AIDA16 can also detect it.

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 2 of 4, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
waterbeesje wrote on 2021-03-31, 11:32:

So is there some piece of software that tells me what it is?

My SIV utility should tell you if EDO or FPM are installed on Menu->Hardware->Chipset->Chipset MCH.

file.php?id=106571

Attachments

Reply 3 of 4, by waterbeesje

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@kixs: thanks for that! The point is, my systems with regular award BIOS have problems with that:
- some only have 168p slots
- some only have 30p slots
- one won't display the type, just "installed".

Other systems have different types of BIOS which won't tell me anything else than "16000kB test ok" or something like that.
Thanks to Acer and IBM.

@red-ray: I'll try that one of these days, thanks 😀

Stuck at 10MHz...

Reply 4 of 4, by Am386DX-40

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kixs wrote on 2021-03-31, 11:44:

I test them on a Pentium I system and you get the proper info in the system information table at boot (before loading OS).

Like seen here:
https://i.imgur.com/2NtY1YS.jpg

I do the same. I have a specific Soyo board for that only purpose. It tells me which modules are EDO and which are FP. 😀