VOGONS

First post, by Eep386

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just today I got this board from a swap meet. I got very lucky I guess, mine seems to work (knock on wood!).
Discovered that PC CHIPS had disabled a good many options in the BIOS, probably to fake a better return rate on their product by locking various options to conservative settings. I re-enabled most performance-relevant options, and also ran rom.by's BIOS patcher on it to fix various issues (incorrect handling of Ultra DMA modes, >64GB LBA issue, etc). I also set Video BIOS Cacheable to Disabled by default so that random video cards don't go ballistic.
SDRAM Bank Interleave is among the options enabled, when set correctly this can give the memory performance a nice lil boost.

Based on a ca. 1997 BIOS, I forgot which revision exactly, but it should be superior to anything earlier than 1997 at least.

download/file.php?mode=view&id=106911

I'm still testing it out, use at your own risk. Play it safe, burn it to a second flash chip just in case. You'll need a 1Mbit / 128K DIP flash chip for it. For reference, the flash ROM used on my board was a rebadged Macronix MX28F1000.

Attachments

• Filename
    PC CHIPS M537 Edit.zip
    File size
    113.33 KiB
    Downloads
    43 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by Eep386 on 2021-04-06, 22:19. Edited 1 time in total.

Life isn't long enough to re-enable every hidden option in every BIOS on every board... 🙁

Reply 2 of 2, by Eep386

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Go ahead and add it to UH19 if you like. I've yet to see any issues, but then my board could simply be one of the 'good' ones.

Life isn't long enough to re-enable every hidden option in every BIOS on every board... 🙁