VOGONS

First post, by Tempest

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

After several years I finally have my XPS Gen 3 back in my hands. This is the first computer I bought out of college with my own money so I splurged (3.6GHz P4 with 2GB of RAM). Originally I used this computer right up until I build my current computer in 2009, and then put it in a MAME cabinet. After a few years I sold the MAME cabinet to a friend and lost touch with him. Fast forward to a few months ago when another friend contacted me about something unrelated and mentioned my other friends name in passing. I asked him if he still talked to him and if he still had the PC (expecting the answer no). Amazingly not only was he still in touch with him, but he still had the PC in the MAME cab and was willing to give it back if I provided a computer to replace it. A quick swap later my baby is back where she belongs. I plan on upgrading it from its current specs, but I have some questions:

1. It only has 2GB of memory at the moment. It can take up 4GB, but there really a point in adding those extra 2GB if all I plan do is run XP games? If so, what memory specs should I look for? Right now it has 533MHz DDR2 sticks in it (according to the BIOS).

2. It currently has ATI Radeon 9250 video card in it. I put this in years ago when it was being used a MAME cabinet because the card had S-Video output. Is it a decent card for XP gaming or should I look for something else? I have an old GTX 260 that I'm not using, can it handle that?

3. This model can do hyperthreading. Is there any reason to turn that on (the bios defaults it to off)?

Anything else I should know about this particular model? Is this one of those Dells that has the leaking capacitor issue?

--- AtariProtos.com ---
For when excellence and burnished fineries need to gently visit the warmth of your tablery

Reply 1 of 16, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If my former Dimension 8300 judging by introduction date (around 2003-2004) and the Dimension XPS Gen 3 around 2004, then YES, rebuild your motherboard with new capacitors. Polymer capacitors works very well here.

I picked up 8300 infested with bad capacitors and recapped, modified P4 mounting bracket to fit, drilled number of holes through the plastic and metal chassis and installed screws from inside to secure falling off plastic shells, and carefully grind off the protruding screws, added missing parts, among them was Northwood 2.8C to it and used it for many years at previous work, when business closed made mistake to not take it with me.

As a replacement, I kept a computer based on Optiplex 780 board into hacked but forgot to uncover rear 2 usb ports using 760 tower for years (was my main PC) one day, someone else donated a 780 tower. I rebuilt one from both, plastic etc, using the 780 motherboard. Reason for replacing that motherboard was failing clock when running XP or Windows 7, with one from the donated 780 tower into mint looking 780 tower. Call that thing not correct period and restoration.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 2 of 16, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

XP was already on the way out when S775 was released which means it makes for really fast XP builds. I think it's the perfect base for XP rig and your personal history only makes it more so.
A lot of these questions depend on what games you are playing as XP was still supported by a lot of games right up to 5 years ago that's 16 years worth of games! but in general

1) 2GB will probably be fine but 4GB wont hurt either and DDR2 is cheap so why not? DDR2-533 is as fast as the motherboard supports but faster DDR2 sticks will work if that are available for a better price. You want matching pairs for best performance. Companies like OCZ sold ram with sexy heat speeders and the rest of it if you want to go down that path.

2) The Dell spec sheet says you have a 460W PSU. The recommended PSU for a GTX 260 is 500W, I wouldn't risk it.
https://downloads.dell.com/manuals/all-produc … anual_en-us.pdf
The Radeon 9250 is makes for a powerful Win9x card but you can probably do better for a XP rig.
This link has Graphics card PSU requirements NVidia dropped XP support after the 700 series (well a bit longer but PSU requirements exceed 400W)
I'm not sure about AMD side of things.
https://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm

With all that said try the 9250 first and if it plays everything fine then I'd just keep it.

3) Turn on Hyperthreading. XP knows how to handle this properly.

Sadly this PC is from the capacitor plague era. This wasn't just a Dell thing but they do seem to suffer worse then say HP. Recap or run it into the ground are your only options as replacment boards will have the same problem.

Unlike similar aged HP PC's Dell still have the driver and support page if you need firmware updates or documentation
https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-uk/produ … sion-g3/drivers

Reply 4 of 16, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

bump to 4gb, and swap psu for seasonic 650w gold 80 plus. This era of 2004 computers from dell is standard ATX.

This is what I did with my 8300 using standard PSU.

Cheers,

Reply 5 of 16, by Tempest

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Would this memory work?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2GB-2x-1GB-Kingston- … 1G/265101615581

Last edited by Tempest on 2021-04-06, 20:46. Edited 1 time in total.

--- AtariProtos.com ---
For when excellence and burnished fineries need to gently visit the warmth of your tablery

Reply 7 of 16, by Tempest

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Also, looking through my box of extra cards I also have an ATI FireGL V055 and an nVIDIA Quadro 256mb FX 8974. Are either of those better?

--- AtariProtos.com ---

Reply 8 of 16, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

FireGL Vxxxx? There's no 550 version. Likewise the Quadro FX xxxx?

Look into these two links to help with you:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nvidia_ … ng_units#Quadro

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_AMD_gra … s#FireGL_series

Cheers,

Reply 9 of 16, by Tempest

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
pentiumspeed wrote on 2021-04-06, 23:07:
FireGL Vxxxx? There's no 550 version. Likewise the Quadro FX xxxx? […]
Show full quote

FireGL Vxxxx? There's no 550 version. Likewise the Quadro FX xxxx?

Look into these two links to help with you:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nvidia_ … ng_units#Quadro

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_AMD_gra … s#FireGL_series

Cheers,

I'm guessing it's a rebranded version for Dell? It might be a V3300 then as that one looks like the one I have.

The other is another Dell rebranded card. It's a Quadro FX3400

--- AtariProtos.com ---

Reply 10 of 16, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

FX 3400 is a 6800 GS on PCIe bus, decent enough for P4 if yours is PCIe slots.

V3300 is x1300 on PCIe, GDDR2, slower.

Cheers,

Reply 11 of 16, by Tempest

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
pentiumspeed wrote on 2021-04-07, 00:07:

Don't you have to use the 6800 drivers instead of the Quadro drivers to get the full benefits? I thought I read that somewhere, but I could be mistaken.

--- AtariProtos.com ---

Reply 12 of 16, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Tempest wrote on 2021-04-07, 01:51:
pentiumspeed wrote on 2021-04-07, 00:07:

Don't you have to use the 6800 drivers instead of the Quadro drivers to get the full benefits? I thought I read that somewhere, but I could be mistaken.

Benefit seems to be minimal in most cases, I'd see how it goes first as you'll need to flash the BIOS to convert it to a GF card.
Agree this would be a good match for the system though!

Reply 13 of 16, by Tempest

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
chinny22 wrote on 2021-04-07, 12:14:

Benefit seems to be minimal in most cases, I'd see how it goes first as you'll need to flash the BIOS to convert it to a GF card.
Agree this would be a good match for the system though!

Oh ok. I didn't realize you had to flash the BIOS to get that to work. I'll try it out as is and see how it goes.

--- AtariProtos.com ---

Reply 14 of 16, by Tempest

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I tired putting the Quadro into my system and all that happened was the fans ran full speed and nothing appeared on the screen (didn't even get a BIOS beep). I had the same problem with this card when I tried putting it in another P4, I think either something is wrong with the card or it's not compatible with these systems.

--- AtariProtos.com ---

Reply 15 of 16, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If it didn't work in another PC I'd guess dead card.
If it was me I'd try out the GTX 260, you may get away with a quick test if you unplug all the drives. Alternately can you "borrow" a PSU form another rig?
If it works then you could buy a 500W PSU and the newer card may even allow you to turn AA, AF, etc up without effecting performance.

Reply 16 of 16, by Tempest

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
chinny22 wrote on 2021-04-13, 10:59:

If it didn't work in another PC I'd guess dead card.
If it was me I'd try out the GTX 260, you may get away with a quick test if you unplug all the drives. Alternately can you "borrow" a PSU form another rig?
If it works then you could buy a 500W PSU and the newer card may even allow you to turn AA, AF, etc up without effecting performance.

Honestly it's probably not worth the bother. I'll see if the XP games I want to play run ok on the current card I have. Maybe I'll look for a cheap GTX that will work with my current power supply.

--- AtariProtos.com ---