VOGONS

First post, by therevisiona

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello, I pisked up this motherboard from the dumpster. After returning home and plugging it in nothing happened. I connected the pc speaker (at least to the pins i thought were the pc speaker) but got no beeps. I need a manual to see which pins go where. If anybody knows anything about this board let me know!

Attachments

Reply 1 of 41, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I would guess
JP14 for the speaker.
JP15 keyboard switch/pwr led

There also seems to be corrosion next to the keyboard connector, where the battery once was...

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 2 of 41, by therevisiona

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
weedeewee wrote on 2021-04-08, 21:25:
I would guess JP14 for the speaker. JP15 keyboard switch/pwr led […]
Show full quote

I would guess
JP14 for the speaker.
JP15 keyboard switch/pwr led

There also seems to be corrosion next to the keyboard connector, where the battery once was...

Yes, I thought this too but the speaker still doesn't beep. Also the corrosion was repaired with wire but without effect

Reply 3 of 41, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Another alternative would then be a diagnostic card or EEPROM - with the latter, try the SuperSoft/Landmark Diagnostic ROM available on minuszerodegrees.net.
You will need an MDA or CGA card with the appropriate monitor to see what's being displayed (and of course a blank E(E) PROM and burner).

Reply 4 of 41, by therevisiona

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
jesolo wrote on 2021-04-09, 09:20:

Another alternative would then be a diagnostic card or EEPROM - with the latter, try the SuperSoft/Landmark Diagnostic ROM available on minuszerodegrees.net.
You will need an MDA or CGA card with the appropriate monitor to see what's being displayed (and of course a blank E(E) PROM and burner).

When using the SuperSoft/Landmark diagnostic ROM I assume I need to download the 5170 version?

Reply 5 of 41, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
therevisiona wrote on 2021-04-09, 11:07:
jesolo wrote on 2021-04-09, 09:20:

When using the SuperSoft/Landmark diagnostic ROM I assume I need to download the 5170 version?

Yes, that is correct - as I recall, there are odd and even versions and a combined one. Use the one appropriate to your board which, based on the pic provided, will be the former.
Do not attempt to reprogram your current EPROMs, but obtain two blank ones.

Reply 7 of 41, by therevisiona

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dataino.it wrote on 2021-04-09, 13:14:

I need bios of this motherboard i have one similar but no bios can u dump please?

Well that Is going to be a chore - this Is not a EPROM, and the numbers on the chip don't return anything when put into google

Reply 8 of 41, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
therevisiona wrote on 2021-04-09, 14:59:

I need bios of this motherboard i have one similar but no bios can u dump please?

Well that Is going to be a chore - this Is not a EPROM, and the numbers on the chip don't return anything when put into google

just assume it's a standard PROM, instead of an EPROM or an EEPROM, if you got a reader like the minipro.

Do not ask Why !

Reply 9 of 41, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
therevisiona wrote on 2021-04-09, 14:59:

You can try to dump the BIOS with Navrátil System Information (NSSI), but I can't remember how complete the image file will be, if your motherboard has an odd and even BIOS. It will most likely create one combined image which will then need to be split up again.

Reply 12 of 41, by dataino.it

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
therevisiona wrote on 2021-04-09, 20:06:

Well once I get it going I will dump the bios for you

THX ,
split bios in two file is not a problem, there are a lot of programs that can do that (es winhex)

Re: Questions about Bios in low and high files

Reply 13 of 41, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This board but is near exact to my Protek 286 board but slightly different layout. Same chipset, same support chips, same DIP and SIPP memory layout.
Will try to extract the two BIOS images this weekend.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 14 of 41, by therevisiona

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Horun wrote on 2021-04-10, 01:00:

This board but is near exact to my Protek 286 board but slightly different layout. Same chipset, same support chips, same DIP and SIPP memory layout.
Will try to extract the two BIOS images this weekend.

What CPU clock does your motherboard use? My board has some markings on the back (P-286-16, not recognized by the internet), from which I assume the board used to have a 286-16 processor, but there is a 286-10 processor installed. Can this make the motherboard not boot up? Either way I'm not installing my known good 286 in fear of it being destroyed.

Reply 15 of 41, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If the board is clocked for a 16MHz processor and a 10MHz one is installed, then yes, that could cause it to not boot.

It looks like you have a 48MHz crystal in the top right corner there - that's likely to be divided by 4 to give a 12MHz... although it could be using a divisor of 3 which could have been 16MHz.

Either way, 48MHz doesn't divide cleanly to give you a 10MHz processor clock - it's likely that it's running anywhere from 2 to 6MHz out of spec; which is a fair bit for a 10MHz cpu.

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net

Reply 16 of 41, by therevisiona

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
megatron-uk wrote on 2021-04-11, 18:36:

If the board is clocked for a 16MHz processor and a 10MHz one is installed, then yes, that could cause it to not boot.

It looks like you have a 48MHz crystal in the top right corner there - that's likely to be divided by 4 to give a 12MHz... although it could be using a divisor of 3 which could have been 16MHz.

Either way, 48MHz doesn't divide cleanly to give you a 10MHz processor clock - it's likely that it's running anywhere from 2 to 6MHz out of spec; which is a fair bit for a 10MHz cpu.

And what would happen if I put a 16 MHz CPU in there if it was clocked for a 12 MHz?

Reply 17 of 41, by therevisiona

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
megatron-uk wrote on 2021-04-11, 18:36:

I will see the CLK pin on my oscilloscope and will document my findings. I already have a lot of three 286 processors on its way from the US (286-12, 286-16, 286-20).

Reply 18 of 41, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
therevisiona wrote on 2021-04-11, 19:12:

And what would happen if I put a 16 MHz CPU in there if it was clocked for a 12 MHz?

It would crash the gibson.

but seriously, No, it would just run at 12MHz.

Do not ask Why !