VOGONS

First post, by Sly_Botts

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey guys,

What size of fan would be the most appropriate to mount to a Voodoo 3 2000 AGP heatsink? 40mm?

Thanks.

It is possible to commit no errors and still lose. That is not a weakness, that is life.

Reply 2 of 8, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I use a slot fan with no mounting that's also an option. Just measure the heat sink with a metric ruler or a digital caliper, then see what fan would fit on it. Otherwise you can use a much bigger fan but you will have to rig it on there with rubberbands or something creative.

Reply 3 of 8, by bZbZbZ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

An option to consider is to mount a fan near the Voodoo card instead of on it. I wasn't comfortable making physical alternations to my Voodoo 3, I didn't have any spare 60 mm fans, and I wasn't having any success zip tying an 80mm fan to my card.

Instead I purchased one of these kits and used a couple spare 92mm fans. It's excessive, but it's very quiet and I have absolutely no concerns with overheating...

file.php?id=77931&mode=view

Reply 4 of 8, by mwdmeyer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bZbZbZ wrote on 2021-04-10, 04:34:

Instead I purchased one of these kits and used a couple spare 92mm fans. It's excessive, but it's very quiet and I have absolutely no concerns with overheating...

I like that a lot, it's cool 😀

Vogons Wiki - http://vogonswiki.com

Reply 6 of 8, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
bZbZbZ wrote on 2021-04-10, 04:34:
An option to consider is to mount a fan near the Voodoo card instead of on it. I wasn't comfortable making physical alternation […]
Show full quote

An option to consider is to mount a fan near the Voodoo card instead of on it. I wasn't comfortable making physical alternations to my Voodoo 3, I didn't have any spare 60 mm fans, and I wasn't having any success zip tying an 80mm fan to my card.

file.php?id=77931&mode=view

I do this for my Voodoo5...I suspect even if the v5 fans fail, having 2x80mm case fans right on front of it should prevent damage at least.

Reply 7 of 8, by frudi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Sly_Botts wrote on 2021-04-10, 02:28:

Hey guys,

What size of fan would be the most appropriate to mount to a Voodoo 3 2000 AGP heatsink? 40mm?

Thanks.

Yes, 40 mm fans are a perfect fit for V3 2000's tiny heatsink. And the fins on the heatsink are perfectly spaced to use standard screws to securely attach the 40 mm fan to it. Trying to fit a bigger fan on it, you'd have to resort to hot glue, super glue, zip-ties or whatever other unsightly method of attaching you can come up with. And in the end it wouldn't make any practical difference in terms of cooling, since a card that's designed to work with a passive cooler does not need much airflow to drastically improve cooling efficiency anyway, so just about any fan you point at it will be a massive improvement. So there's no use in using a bigger fan unless you're going big enough to cover the entire card with airflow, particularly the VRM area or perhaps the back side of the card, right behind where the main chip is.

Personally I use Noctua's NF-A4x10 fans on all my V3 2000 cards and they are inaudible and do a more than good enough job cooling the chip. I went with Noctua specifically because their 40 mm fans are still remarkably quiet. But if you want something cheaper, then any 40 mm fan that isn't too loud for your ears will do the job.

Reply 8 of 8, by Sly_Botts

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This is the fan im going to buy. Thanks for the tips.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B009NQLT0M/ref= … 6ZGWCMTNX&psc=1

It is possible to commit no errors and still lose. That is not a weakness, that is life.