VOGONS

First post, by fargo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've recently acquired a nice Dolch FxPAC luggable (all-in-one) computer with Pentium 3 600MHz and 512MB of RAM.

The computer came with Windows NT 4.0 installed, which it couldn't completely lauche! Sometimes the computer restarted during Windows boot process. Some other times it restarted shortly after the desktop appeared in a complete random manner. I thought the problem was due to a software issue. So, I wiped the hard drive and tried installing Windows 2000. Once the setup program of Win2K reached the graphical interface part, the computer rebooted immediately! I tried the installation one more time, and got the same result: the computer suddenly restarted when the setup reached the GUI part.

At that point I thought the problem could be related to the RAM or the video card. I booted the computer from FDD and ran several memory test programs. No problem was found. I even installed different RAM chips and tried to reinstall Win2K and the computer rebooted when switching to the GUI.

Since DOS runs without problems but not Windows 2000, I thought of installing Windows 98 and see! And to my surprise, Win98 was fully installed and ran without an issue! I then tried installing Windows ME and it was fully installed but suffered from random reboots after launch, just like the Windows NT.

I went to the system BIOS and disabled 'video shadow' option and Windows ME ran smoothly after! Since thevideo shadow is related to the L2 cache, I disabled L2 (external) cache from BIOS and Windows ME never had an issue!

I wanted to do further tests, so I downloaded a live Puppy Linux CD image. The Linux system failed to booth when the L2 cache was enabled, but it successfully booted and loaded its GUI when the L2 was disabled.

This is the first time I've experienced something like this! It seems there is a problem with L2 cache in the CPU, but I need to confirm it before buying a replacement CPU. Is there a program I can use to test the L2? Could it be another problem and the L2 cache is fine?

Thank you

Reply 1 of 10, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Memtest86 does test the cache as well as the ram. You should clean and re-goop the heatsink as it cools the cpu core and cache. Could be just dried out goop 😁

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2 of 10, by fargo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I don't think it is a temperature issue. The CPU is of Slot 1 type. It's passively cold with giant heatsink attached to it. The problem of random restarts occurs only with certain types of operating system. The computer is solid stable with DOS and Windows 9x.

I found a CPU similar to mine on ebay and bought it. I'll test when it arrives and see if the problem is CPU-related or not (unless the other CPU is also defective! 😅)

Reply 3 of 10, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well what type of operating systems? Maybe you just have a BIOS setting problem.

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.
PS. If I upload RAR, it is a 16-bit DOS RAR Version 2.50.

Reply 5 of 10, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Have you done a memtest86 check as reccomended above?

My guess for the fact it doesn't crash in Dos/Win9x is that those other operating systems (NT, 2K, Linux, etc) will make extensive use of memory starting at the high end of your 512MB region; placing buffers, disk caches, etc all up there - they're all significantly more reliant on the entire region of memory working perfectly... Dos, and Win9x to a lesser extent, will all be initially running from the low end of your RAM and you may not see any issues at all due to, say, a faulty chip on a module providing ram in the region of 128-256MB.

I'd be willing to bet it's memory related - either cache or DRAM.

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net

Reply 7 of 10, by fargo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@megatron-uk: I let memtest86 to run for an extended period of time and found no errors. I'll test again tonight and let it run for hours or till it completes all the tests and see.

@majestyk: I doubted the capacitors of course, but it's a pain to recap a Dolch computer! Buying a $10 replacement CPU and hoping it will fix the issue is more relaxing than thinking of disassembling the machine and recapping all boards 😅

Reply 8 of 10, by fargo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just tested the system again using many tools, including Memtest86, and no errors were found. I'll wait for the ordered CPU and see if that solved the problem with new OS'. If not, then I'll consider recapping the boards.

SSTIMG01.png
Filename
SSTIMG01.png
File size
12.1 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 9 of 10, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Horun wrote on 2021-04-11, 00:34:

Memtest86 does test the cache as well as the ram. You should clean and re-goop the heatsink as it cools the cpu core and cache. Could be just dried out goop 😁

Yes, I agree. It is extremely unlikely that you would pass a couple runs of memtest with bad CPU cache. I would go further than that. It is extremely unlikely that your computer would be useable at all with any kind of physical CPU damage.

If you disable L2 cache your performance drops, you use less power because you have tons of extra cache misses, and your computer is stable. I would pull apart that heatsink and replace the thermal paste and then make sure the heatsink has good thermal contact.

Reply 10 of 10, by AlexZ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My board isn't stable with 256MB sticks, I would try 128MB in your place. I run with 3x128MB, it's more than enough. According to the manual I'm supposed to use 256MB only if they are registered ECC and they are right. Decreasing FSB to 66Mhz will lower CPU frequency and it could work if your problem if CPU related.

If you intend to keep PIII for a long time it may be worthwhile to get a 2nd backup board. CPUs and memory last forever, disks are plentiful but boards are not.

Pentium III 900E, ECS P6BXT-A+, 384MB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce FX 5600 128MB, Voodoo 2 12MB, 80GB HDD, Yamaha SM718 ISA, 19" AOC 9GlrA
Athlon 64 3400+, MSI K8T Neo V, 1GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 7600GT 512MB, 250GB HDD, Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS