VOGONS

486-era Gimmicks PC

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 27, by furan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
cyclone3d wrote on 2021-04-17, 18:52:

I still have my TG16 with CD expansion and around 100 games. Kinda one of my favorite consoles.

This is an example of a console that didn't get a whole lot of games, but most of them were quality - very different from what we saw for PC-FX.

Reply 21 of 27, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The main problem with the TG16 / TurboDuo was that NEC didn't really market it in the USA.

I didn't even know about it until I saw a Turbo Duo on clearance at I think Toys R Us around the time I bought a PlayStation. Should have bought it as it was only $50.

I still wouldn't say the PC-FXGA was a gimmick. Yeah, the PC-FX was a kinda flop of a console, but it wasn't a gimmick.

I would classify a gimmick as more of something like those RAM doublers, drive bay GPU power supplies, USB sticks sold as a way to add more RAM, etc.

Basically snake-oil type stuff.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 22 of 27, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The USA didn't "get" the Turbo Grafx (either the marketing or the release timescale - redesign the entire aesthetics of the system and rename it? Really???).... completely different to the rest of the world who went nuts over the PC-Engine. Europe was importing the PC-Engine in droves when it was released.

My personal opinion is that it was a brilliant little system that overlapped the 8 and 16bit generations and managed to stay relevant for pretty much it's entire lifespan. Although less said about the various redesigns, the better (and we will never ever mention the Super Grafx.... oh, crap).

How NEC/Hudson went from the awesome little PC-Engine to the PCFX, I will never know.

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net

Reply 23 of 27, by furan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
cyclone3d wrote on 2021-04-17, 21:25:

I still wouldn't say the PC-FXGA was a gimmick. Yeah, the PC-FX was a kinda flop of a console, but it wasn't a gimmick.

It has a 3D accelerator that is used by something like a total of 4 games. PC-FX was canceled early because NEC was backing Dreamcast. If you go through archive.org and look at the PC-FX GA webring, you'll find the folks who made homebrew for it really annoyed over NEC's PC-FX GA phase out, and the way they did it. I'm not going to quibble over this with you. The PC-FX GA was a short-lived gimmick, just like the 3DO Blaster.

Reply 24 of 27, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yet another build I've always wanted to do - shove as much weird stuff into a system as I possibly could. Congratulations, furan!

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 27 of 27, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That is a really special machine.... Looks fun.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011