VOGONS

First post, by wulp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,
I have had a Toshiba T5100 for several years now. However, I cannot find the correct country code with this layout.
(At codepage 850, I have tried almost all countries...)
Pay particular attention to the ~ and # keys next to the space bar.
Does anyone have an idea?....
Thanks!

Attachments

Reply 2 of 7, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

pretty sure it's UK due to the pound symbol, but it's definitely not "standard", standard UK would be ISO anyways ^^ laptops have always been deviating from standard keyboard layouts, back then and today.

Reply 3 of 7, by snufkin

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It does look UKish ('£' on shift-3). Differences I can see are the '#' key would be by the enter key, the '\' by the left shift, and it's missing '`' (the backtick mark) above the tab key. I'm assuming they just moved a few keys to save some space.

Reply 5 of 7, by snufkin

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't think I understand the question... I haven't checked every single key, but it looks like a match for the UK keyboard layout in the maintenance manual, page C-2 (151/174 in the pdf I looked at). You can see on the keycap numbering diagram page C-9) where [43,'\','|'] has been moved from the normal UK position next to the left shift (keycode 42), and [41,'#','~'] has moved from next to the '@' (keycode 40).

Reply 6 of 7, by wulp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just tried "UK keyboard" (MS-DOS ver 6.22).
When tapping it I get the message "specified code table not defined".
So I have MS-DOS completely reinstalled with "country: UK" and "keyboard UK" ... Same result: the key right to the spacebar gives a "|" and "/".
Later on I 'll try with a TOSHIBA-DOS ...

Reply 7 of 7, by snufkin

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Found a guide to setting up UK keyboard layout for some Toshibas. It doesn't include the T5100 in the applicable model list, but it might help:
https://support.dynabook.com/support/viewCont … ontentId=107773