VOGONS

First post, by majestyk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here comes a self made problem:
One of the VLB sockets on my "FIC 486-VIP-IO" mainboard was extremely scratched. I have been wanting to replace it for a long time, last but not least because the board is in excellent condition otherwise.
So yesterday I removed the damaged socket (and threw it away). I already had a replacement that I took from a riser card I cannot use. This VLB slot looks like new so today I finally fitted it in and carefully soldered all 116 pins.
When I tried with a VLB graphics card I couldn´t believe I got the "no video adapter" BIOS beepcode.
So I inspected the slot again and found this:

VLB_contact_1.JPG
Filename
VLB_contact_1.JPG
File size
507.68 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

One (the first) pin is missing. It´s not broken, it´s completely gone and I didn´t notice when soldering the pins.
I´s pin1 = DATA01

I would like to avoid replacing the whole slot once more. Is there a possibility to insert a spare contact from the top? Has anybody done that?
And are these contacts identical with the ones in PCI-sockets?

Last edited by majestyk on 2021-04-23, 18:35. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 15, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I guess it's time to go dig in the trash for that bad socket, remove one of the pins and see how it actually fits in there... might be as easy sliding it in, but I don't know.
Either way, cool job, though... How could you have missed that one pin ? ! 😀
seems like that was one of those ARGH moments.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 2 of 15, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

PCI slot would have same or similar pins in it, but it really depends on who exactly manufactured the slot. Different makers have different shape pins in them and they may not neatly fit that VLB socket.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 3 of 15, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Recently I got a board with a VLB slot where one of the contacts was totally mangled. Since I had no spare VLB slots to replace it, I had to take a contact from the modem riser slot of a dead board, which is of the same type as VLB.

However it was very difficult to get the new contact in place, even after desoldering the VLB slot, it took me a long time to fit the new contact from the bottom. I think inserting it from the top would be even harder (or impossible).

Tiido wrote on 2021-04-22, 18:52:

PCI slot would have same or similar pins in it, but it really depends on who exactly manufactured the slot. Different makers have different shape pins in them and they may not neatly fit that VLB socket.

I tried harvesting a contact from a PCI slot first but it didn't match... however there may be PCI slots from different manufacturers that could fit there as you say.

Reply 4 of 15, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It should be noted that you cannot bypass desoldering entire connector, the pins go in from bottom end and are fixated to the plastic there too. There won't be success trying to get the pin in from top. You can make a PCI slot fit in place of VLB slot if you remove 8x pins and sand one edge down, this is what I ended up doing on one board that had no VLB slots populated.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 5 of 15, by computerguy08

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If you are on a budget, you can always use a PCI slot (and cut the last 4 set of contacts, since it has 8 more pins than the VLB slot, thus longer).
If you are lucky, it will fit without cutting, just make sure to remove the unused pins from the slot.

It won't look original, but it works really well (+ it's easier to insert VLB cards).

20200828_172249.jpg
Filename
20200828_172249.jpg
File size
1.57 MiB
Views
File license

Reply 6 of 15, by majestyk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for all the info and suggestions!

Looks like I just earned myself some bonus work. 🙁

I will try to find a PCI socket with the same type of contacts in my stock of riser cards that I use to harvest ISA sockets. After desoldering I will pull one contact and report the details here.

P.S.: The old slot I removed is no option, the garbage collection was this morning.

Reply 7 of 15, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
majestyk wrote on 2021-04-22, 19:24:

P.S.: The old slot I removed is no option, the garbage collection was this morning.

Let that be a lesson to ya. Never ever throw away gold 😁

edit: yes I know it's a very tiny amount.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 8 of 15, by majestyk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

By the way, only a 2 mm area of the contacts, where they touch the inserted card, are gold plated.
Today I desoldered a PCI socket that happened to have the very same contacts as the VLB slot and removed a few of them. The end at the bottom is indeed thicker.

PCI_contacts.JPG
Filename
PCI_contacts.JPG
File size
319.46 KiB
Views
File license

It´s nearly impossible to insert it from the top as some of you already said. So I had to completely remove the VLB slot - again.
The transplanted contact fitted perfectly and the socket could be soldered on the mainboard again.
The solderings still look acceptable.

VLB_solderings.JPG
Filename
VLB_solderings.JPG
File size
246.01 KiB
Views
File license

Finally the second VLB slot is alive again. (There´s a DX50 on this board, I had to underclock it at 40 MHz or the VLB card wouldn´t work.)

FIC_486_VIP_IO_fp.JPG
Filename
FIC_486_VIP_IO_fp.JPG
File size
1.85 MiB
Views
File license

If there´s a lesson to be learned here it´s to very carefully inspect components with many pins b e f o r e fitting them in.

Last edited by majestyk on 2021-04-23, 15:59. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 12 of 15, by majestyk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

While at it I used the remaining PCI-socket to replace one of the VLB sockets on the donor riser-card.
And still there are 6 contact left for future cases.

VLB_riser.JPG
Filename
VLB_riser.JPG
File size
1.98 MiB
Views
File license

Reply 14 of 15, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That motherboard is poorly designed to run 50MHz. Too long tracks from CPU socket to VLB slots.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 15 of 15, by majestyk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
pentiumspeed wrote on 2022-06-24, 20:07:

That motherboard is poorly designed to run 50MHz. Too long tracks from CPU socket to VLB slots.

Cheers,

That´s more like it:

Shuttle_HOT409.jpg
Filename
Shuttle_HOT409.jpg
File size
121.34 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain