VOGONS

DOS CD-Rom issues

Topic actions

First post, by Bernkastel7734

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello,
I'm trying to get CD-Rom work with my dos 6.22 machine. Both the IDE ribbon and the Cd-rom works with other PC, so it's not their fault I guess ( CD-ROM model is BCD 739T). CDrom is connected to soundcard with CS4237b chip. I've been using oakcdrom.sys and vide-cdd.sys, both of them give ' No device found, aborting installation' message. Drivers for the sound card I've found on Vogons driver library, so I guess they're legit ( sound itself works). In the driver config file I've set following CD settings - Adress : 360, Interrupt :10, DMA Channel : 3. As far as I've checked with HW Info there are no conflicts with such settings. Any Idea what I'm doing wrong?

Reply 1 of 81, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What type of Dos machine?

More information would be ever so helpful. Know cpu type, ram type/size and other "stuff".

We are not mind readers.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 2 of 81, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Most CD drivers look into "standard" IDE addresses (0x1F0, 0x170) and they won't find controllers placed at other addresses unless told so. Maybe you'll have to put some parameters on the CD-ROM config.sys line.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 3 of 81, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Bernkastel7734 wrote on 2021-05-10, 07:02:

CDrom is connected to soundcard with CS4237b chip.

Why? Not enough IDE connectors on the motherboard?

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 4 of 81, by Bernkastel7734

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Caluser2000 wrote on 2021-05-10, 07:20:

What type of Dos machine?

More information would be ever so helpful. Know cpu type, ram type/size and other "stuff".

We are not mind readers.

I'm sorry. I'm using 486DX2, 8 MB 30 pin simm, and some unnamed motherboard with ami bios and UMC82C491F chipset.

Last edited by Bernkastel7734 on 2021-05-10, 08:30. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 5 of 81, by Bernkastel7734

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dr_st wrote on 2021-05-10, 08:05:
Bernkastel7734 wrote on 2021-05-10, 07:02:

CDrom is connected to soundcard with CS4237b chip.

Why? Not enough IDE connectors on the motherboard?

This unnanmed motherboard does not have any ide connectors

Reply 6 of 81, by Bernkastel7734

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Zup wrote on 2021-05-10, 08:02:

Most CD drivers look into "standard" IDE addresses (0x1F0, 0x170) and they won't find controllers placed at other addresses unless told so. Maybe you'll have to put some parameters on the CD-ROM config.sys line.

Will try this. Also the driver allows me to set following adresses : 320, 340, 350, 360. Maybe I'm stupid but I don't see these 'standrad' adresses here.

Reply 7 of 81, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You mentioned you've been using oakcdrom.sys etc, I suggest to try the .sys file that comes with the sound card drivers/software.
Also there are cases where the ide connector must be "enabled" either from the card's configuration utility or some initialization utility.

Reply 8 of 81, by Bernkastel7734

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
konc wrote on 2021-05-10, 08:38:

You mentioned you've been using oakcdrom.sys etc, I suggest to try the .sys file that comes with the sound card drivers/software.
Also there are cases where the ide connector must be "enabled" either from the card's configuration utility or some initialization utility.

In the only drivers I've found there is no .sys file, sadly. In the configuration utility I set ide to enable. Although the IDE is set to enable the initialization software during booting does not mention any ide related thing. Also on the card itself there is no ide related jumper or anything.

Reply 9 of 81, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Bernkastel7734 wrote on 2021-05-10, 08:46:

In the only drivers I've found there is no .sys file, sadly. In the configuration utility I set ide to enable. Although the IDE is set to enable the initialization software during booting does not mention any ide related thing. Also on the card itself there is no ide related jumper or anything.

What's the card manufacturer and model exactly? There is a chance that you might need to use your soundcard's software with the cdrom driver to detect it. Are the drivers you're using an exact match to your card, or are they for some other card with the same chip (and probably no IDE connector since there is no .sys file)

Reply 10 of 81, by Bernkastel7734

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
konc wrote on 2021-05-10, 10:11:

What's the card manufacturer and model exactly? There is a chance that you might need to use your soundcard's software with the cdrom driver to detect it. Are the drivers you're using an exact match to your card, or are they for some other card with the same chip (and probably no IDE connector since there is no .sys file)

All I have found is 'KENTECH COMPUTER KJD-MUSIC16'. But haven't founs any drivers for that model and I'm using drivers for a bundle of simillar sound chips. All of them support IDE.

Reply 11 of 81, by Disruptor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Bernkastel7734 wrote on 2021-05-10, 10:19:

All I have found is 'KENTECH COMPUTER KJD-MUSIC16'. But haven't founs any drivers for that model and I'm using drivers for a bundle of simillar sound chips. All of them support IDE.

Since we always love to see colour images here, please post a picture of your soundcard. Thanks!

Reply 12 of 81, by Bernkastel7734

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Disruptor wrote on 2021-05-10, 11:09:

Since we always love to see colour images here, please post a picture of your soundcard. Thanks!

Here you go

Attachments

Reply 14 of 81, by Bernkastel7734

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Disruptor wrote on 2021-05-10, 11:56:

Try to google for
crystal 4237b driver

Well, most of the stuff I found are malware and/or for other operating systems.

Reply 15 of 81, by Oetker

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm not familiar with the stock drivers for that card. However UNISOUND should support it. UNISOUND - Universal ISA PnP Sound Card Driver for DOS v0.81b
Note that the readme says

Anyway as this tool is launched after config.sys, if you want CD-ROM support you'll have to load CD driver (like vid […]
Show full quote

Anyway as this
tool is launched after config.sys, if you want CD-ROM support you'll
have to load CD driver (like vide-cdd.sys) with device driver loaders
like DEVLOAD after Unisound IDE port activation.

Maybe that's the issue you're having wit hthe stock drivers as well? That they initialize the card after the cd driver tries to do its thing?

Reply 16 of 81, by Bernkastel7734

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Oetker wrote on 2021-05-10, 12:18:
I'm not familiar with the stock drivers for that card. However UNISOUND should support it. UNISOUND - Universal ISA PnP Sound Ca […]
Show full quote

I'm not familiar with the stock drivers for that card. However UNISOUND should support it. UNISOUND - Universal ISA PnP Sound Card Driver for DOS v0.81b
Note that the readme says

Anyway as this tool is launched after config.sys, if you want CD-ROM support you'll have to load CD driver (like vid […]
Show full quote

Anyway as this
tool is launched after config.sys, if you want CD-ROM support you'll
have to load CD driver (like vide-cdd.sys) with device driver loaders
like DEVLOAD after Unisound IDE port activation.

Maybe that's the issue you're having wit hthe stock drivers as well? That they initialize the card after the cd driver tries to do its thing?

Thanks, will try that. Also the initializator runs before cd driver, so that's not the thing

Reply 17 of 81, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

But haven't founs any drivers for that model and I'm using drivers for a bundle of simillar sound chips. All of them support IDE.

In the only drivers I've found ...

So combining these two, I assume that you've tried exactly 1 driver from vogondrivers which is for another card with same chip, and it's still a mystery which one.

Try this as an other option, if you haven't already
(I got this from another vogons thread in the past, maybe even a member here assembled this, sorry but not giving proper credit but I don't remember the details)

Filename
cwd_dos.zip
File size
887.81 KiB
Downloads
39 downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 18 of 81, by Bernkastel7734

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
konc wrote on 2021-05-10, 12:38:
So combining these two, I assume that you've tried exactly 1 driver from vogondrivers which is for another card with same chip, […]
Show full quote

So combining these two, I assume that you've tried exactly 1 driver from vogondrivers which is for another card with same chip, and it's still a mystery which one.

Try this as an other option, if you haven't already
(I got this from another vogons thread in the past, maybe even a member here assembled this, sorry but not giving proper credit but I don't remember the details)

cwd_dos.zip

I have found some other drivers, but if I want to download them I need to give my phone number or it's starting to download single .exe file with random name, so it smells like a scam, at least for me. Also I have already tried that driver : http://vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=9 … menustate=46,38 . The driver You have linked is a part of the drivers bundle I've tried.

Last edited by Stiletto on 2021-05-12, 00:36. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 19 of 81, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

U4 is missing from the soundcard. Does anybody know if the IDE/ATAPI port requires it?

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//