VOGONS

First post, by Lazar81

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello,
I ran into something annoying when I wanted to install an ATI Silencer 3 (it is compatible with 9800xt) on my 9800xt. I realized that the connectors for the fans are different. The original cooler has a smaller plug than the Silencer. The port on the card cannot be removed so the pins are not accessable for other plug sizes... i loosen the clamps on both plugs and pulled out the ends of the wires. These metal things at the ends of the wires are as big/small as it is suitable for the plugs. I am sure I could exchange these metal things at the ends of the wires of the silencer.. but I was wondering if there is an easier way to get everything connected correctly.

IMG-20210512-134548.jpg
The left one is from the original cooler. The right one is from the silencer

Ryzen 5 2600X - ASUS ROG STRIX X470-F Gaming - 32GB RAM - Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti

Reply 3 of 7, by Lazar81

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok .. what I found out until now:

The left one is a jst ph 1.25
The right one is a jst ph 2.0

Can someone confirm that?

Edit:
Never done this before... I ordered some plugs and headers and a crimper... Hope I have the correct ones.

Ryzen 5 2600X - ASUS ROG STRIX X470-F Gaming - 32GB RAM - Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti

Reply 4 of 7, by piatd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I had an Asus 9600XT fitted with an Arctic Cooling VGA Silencer Rev. 3.

If I recall correctly, I found a way to break off the plastic plug on the VGA Silencer's fan tail, without removing the wires from the pins. I then inserted the pins directly onto the 9600XT's male fan header, making sure the black and red wires went to same place as with the stock cooler. The third wire used by the Asus card was just probably just for RPM sensing, so it wasn't needed.

This was my first VGA mod.

Reply 5 of 7, by Lazar81

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
piatd wrote on 2021-05-14, 02:55:

I had an Asus 9600XT fitted with an Arctic Cooling VGA Silencer Rev. 3.

If I recall correctly, I found a way to break off the plastic plug on the VGA Silencer's fan tail, without removing the wires from the pins. I then inserted the pins directly onto the 9600XT's male fan header, making sure the black and red wires went to same place as with the stock cooler. The third wire used by the Asus card was just probably just for RPM sensing, so it wasn't needed.

This was my first VGA mod.

I already realized that the cables on the original cooler are not arranged in the same way as they are on the Silencer... The one in the middle (blue) is the same as the yellow one. It is also for sensing. Why shouldn't this one be used?

Reply 7 of 7, by Lazar81

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello...
Mine is a release with only one plug... A 3 wired one...
Meanwhile I tested the 9800 xt again with the original cooler with my 6via5t. On the DVI port it shows heavy Errors... So it is possible that my project comes to a sudden end here..
At the moment I am hoping it is a compatibility issue with the 8x card on a 4x port and the via chipset... But I am not that confident