VOGONS

First post, by adreamcasted98

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey guys,

After watching a great video on using the fx5500 for windows 98 gaming from phil's computer lab, I bought one from Aliexpress as he did. Problem is that the one I got is a fake🙁. After removing the fan and cleaning off the old thermal paste, I saw 5200 npb on the chip and got concerned, after a quick Google search I realized I was ripped off. Could someone help me identify what model of 5200 I have and how to flash the correct bios for the card?

Attachments

• IMG_20210512_225347.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_20210512_225347.jpg
    File size
    733.06 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 9, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If your card works, I would not bother looking for another BIOS . There is nothing to be gained there, IMHO , as the FX 5200 and FX 5500 are practically identical, save for clock speed .
That being said, and at the risk of bringing your hopes down even lower, read this AliExpress AGP cards .

Reply 2 of 9, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Is the card seen as an FX5500? As darry said, the only difference is the clockspeed. What clocks is it set to by default?

What I want for my collection, despite having an FX5950 is an FX5200 Ultra.

On a side note, I also have a fake FX5200 that I bought on eBay. The box is super generic. When I took off the heatsink to check it out, it was an FX5200 chip and to top it off, there was a paper sticker with Chinese writing on it in between the GPU and heatsink.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 3 of 9, by adreamcasted98

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
darry wrote on 2021-05-13, 04:25:

If your card works, I would not bother looking for another BIOS . There is nothing to be gained there, IMHO , as the FX 5200 and FX 5500 are practically identical, save for clock speed .
That being said, and at the risk of bringing your hopes down even lower, read this AliExpress AGP cards .

I cant get the damn thing to work, clean install of 98se and after installing chipset drivers, monitor randomly crashes and I get "unsupported resolution" bugs. Even if I forgo the chipset drivers the same thing happens.

Reply 4 of 9, by adreamcasted98

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
cyclone3d wrote on 2021-05-13, 04:31:

Is the card seen as an FX5500? As darry said, the only difference is the clockspeed. What clocks is it set to by default?

What I want for my collection, despite having an FX5950 is an FX5200 Ultra.

On a side note, I also have a fake FX5200 that I bought on eBay. The box is super generic. When I took off the heatsink to check it out, it was an FX5200 chip and to top it off, there was a paper sticker with Chinese writing on it in between the GPU and heatsink.

I cant even get into the control panel to tell. Card is giving me random crashes and resolution errors before I can even open rivatuner

Reply 6 of 9, by adreamcasted98

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Miphee wrote on 2021-05-13, 07:46:

Get your money back.
"Any product delivered to you that fails to match the seller’s description is eligible for a refund."

I filed a dispute, I'm not paying for return shipping if they want me to either. If the bios wouldn't have been flashed I would have probably just kept it as a 5200 and been okay with it.

Reply 8 of 9, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

disappointing for you, hope you get a refund

I'd always understood an fx5500 to be a slightly 'overclocked' fx5200 and reportedly no easily perceived difference in performance in most scenarios

I'm quite like fx5200's; cheap, fanless and simple with stable drivers and mostly equal to geforce 2 and 4 (mx400) for most games