VOGONS

First post, by Pajeroking

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

I have a feeling that this one is a very stupid question from my side.
My Compaq Deskpro 4000 has 1 empty bay for an additional hard drive. Main one is only 1 GB and already full. And I don't want to replace it with a bigger one and go throught the hassle of reinstalling everything. I only want to add another HDD so I can have more space.

My ribbon cable has a second ATA connector but it's short of reaching the HDD place. And I don't have another ATA slot to use another cable.

Yea, sorry for being stupid, beats me.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

Reply 2 of 4, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Better get a modern 80wire cable, that has those connectors close together and use that. Repressing old cables is basically just breaking them.

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.
PS. If I upload RAR, it is a 16-bit DOS RAR Version 2.50.

Reply 3 of 4, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My guess is that one of these cables from the Deskpro 4000 parts inventory has wider spaced connectors on a longer cable (Compaq had to continue to make their money from you somehow 😀 )

200860-001 - IDE ribbon cable for CD-ROM drive or hard drive
214356-001 - IDE data ribbon cable for hard drive - Has one drive connector and one motherboard connector
243085-001 - CD-ROM/hard drive one position IDE cable
247484-001 - IDE Hard Drive/LS-120 Diskette Drive Cable (Desktops)
247568-001 - IDE CD-ROM cable - 45.7cm (18.0in) long, two each
278296-001 - 80-pin Ultra ATA IDE cable with two drive connectors - 45.7cm (18.0in) long

Unless you make a lot of cables, I wouldn't bother with the expense of buying an IDC crimper tool - how about getting a short male to female IDE extension cable from the Bay to create a Y -style cable.

Reply 4 of 4, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm guessing you have a HDD is slot 3 of your diagram and wanting to install the 2nd HDD in slot 4?

-Cheapest option is to use the same IDE cable that the CD drive is using, no need to purchase anything.
-You could use a CF/SD card that doesn't really need mounting

otherwise they are just generic IDE cables and plenty on ebay with different lengths between the 2 connectors.
I'm betting the only difference with the part numbers in the post above is the word CD Drive or HDD printed on the cable or CD ROM been 40 pin vs 80 pin for the HDD.