VOGONS

First post, by Niark42

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello vogons,

2 days ago I had the joy of finishing the assembly and installation of my triple boot computer (xp, 7, linux).

But a few minutes ago when I was under win xp, the screen suddenly froze.

having waited a few minutes and attempting a ctrl alt delt but without success, I shut down the computer manually.
And the drama, the computer turns on but nothing is displayed and the startup beep is no longer heard.

the computer had no problems so far, no signs of fatigue, everything was going well, I even did a little crysis session without any worries just before.

does anyone have some ideas to suggest to me?
I am lost and afraid to do worse than better.

Reply 1 of 11, by maestro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Process of elimination, dear Watson, when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.

I would remove all components except the minimum, Video card, RAM and CPU. If there's no change (no beeps, no activity) then try without the video card, that should produce a beep. Still no beeps? Sounds like the motherboard or PSU.

Reply 2 of 11, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I had a board that did this every time it decided the overclock was a bit too much, the gigabytch I used to call it. It would invalidate the CMOS settings so I'd have to clear CMOS to reboot (In theory it was supposed to restart itself with safe default settings, but after upgrade of the original BIOS which had horribly unstable AGP at 4x, it only worked 1 time in 10) So anyway, I'd go back and lose 13mhz off the clocks to see f it behaved long term this time... Annoying thing was, that it would pass Prime 95 etc overnight, but next day bug out just futzing around the desktop.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 3 of 11, by Niark42

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I withdraw everything, nothing helps.
I change my diet,
still nothing displayed and not "bip".

I restarted the CMOS and still no display.
I test another processor and same result.

I find it weird that all of a sudden the mounaithboard drops hs, it is also a gigabyte and I also had to flash the bios to switch to the phenom2 processor. I also had an issue with the cpuz as it showed it was running at 1600 MHz except it should run at 3000 MHz.

I only overclocked my GPU with afterburner and didn't fix it in the bios wanting to see how it behaved before.

The crash happened when I looked at the gigabyte drivers on the internet, the computer was not overused at the time and I thought it was just the overclocking of the gpu that I was concerned about.

Reply 4 of 11, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

the most frustrating is when the computer doesn't communicate anything to you

it sounds like you have done what you can but if not then try

remove everything from the motherboard
remove cmos battery
only if possible test that the PSU is working
add a graphics card if there is no graphics on mb, the graphic cards needs to be an unaltered one you know is functioning
add a keyboard and optionally a mouse, if the pc has PS2 use them instead of USB (I have one PC that just pauses forever if there is a usb input device on bootup!)
add one known working RAM module, just the one
attach monitor to graphics output

start it up,

if the motherboard is functional you should get a beep or two and something on screen

if not the possibility is either a physical fault on the motherboard or a corrupted BIOS meaning there is nothing the motherboard 'thinks' it has to do

neither is readily remedied unfortunately

i have rarely encountered a total motherboard failure but it does happen and in limited experience i think it may happen more when anything has been overclocked and anything has been flashed

Reply 5 of 11, by Niark42

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

a guy from another forum replied that my card was dead because it was a 120w processor on a gigabyte ma770ds3.
Apparently the cards of this generation cannot support a 120w processor even if it is on the official list.

so the error will simply come from me, who apparently got the wrong information.

Which is more frustrating to check.

Reply 6 of 11, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Niark42 wrote on 2021-05-19, 12:29:
a guy from another forum replied that my card was dead because it was a 120w processor on a gigabyte ma770ds3. Apparently the ca […]
Show full quote

a guy from another forum replied that my card was dead because it was a 120w processor on a gigabyte ma770ds3.
Apparently the cards of this generation cannot support a 120w processor even if it is on the official list.

so the error will simply come from me, who apparently got the wrong information.

Which is more frustrating to check.

ah i see

i usually check cpu-upgrade.com, not a certainty but a help

https://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-Gigabyte ... _1.0).html

have you tried going back to another CPU or does it appear that the motherboard has failed?

Reply 8 of 11, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Does this have the dual BIOS on? That also was a wedgie my gigabytch liked to give itself, decide the BIOS was no good and get stuck halfway, neither restoring previous or booting off current. Had to force it with a key combo, and flash BIOS like 5 times before it liked it.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 10 of 11, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Errr Ummm sorry to interrupt this thread OP but what are the details of the actual hardware you are having issues with?

Linux is very good at telling you you have bad ram when it checks it on start up. I'd imagine 32-bit NT based Windows will be the same. Assuming you are running 32-bit OSs on a 32-bit system and not a 64-bit system.....

I know making assumptions is bad but thats all we can do without more specific information about the system in question.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 11 of 11, by Niark42

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770-DS3
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955
GPU: ATI hd3850
power: 230w

triple boot ubuntu studio (64bit), win7 (64bit) and win xp sp3 (32bit)

I was on win xp during the crash.

As explained I do not have access to the bios and there is no beep indicating a good start.

So I don't know how to reset from a key and I have already tried with cmos and removing the battery.