First post, by sofakng

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

One of my co-workers is cleaning out his attic and found a few old monitors:

Nokia 445ZA
SDIS ErgoView 210
NEC XP17

I've offered to buy the Nokia ($100) which seems to be an above-average monitor but I can't find any information on the SDIS ("Sigma Designs"?) ErgoView 210. The last monitor (NEC XP17) doesn't seem very good and doesn't appear to be working.

Does anybody know anything about the SDIS ("Sigma Designs"?) ErgoView?

Reply 3 of 16, by sofakng

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
pentiumspeed wrote on 2021-05-24, 19:02:

Take the NEC XP17 too.

He tried to plug it in and it didn't work but he said I can take it for free to see if I can fix it so I might do that. However, the NEC XP17 only supports 1280x1024 (75 Hz) so do you think it's still worth taking even with the Nokia 445ZA being much better?

Miphee wrote on 2021-05-24, 19:18:

A lot of money for something he planned to throw away. These CRTs are usually free.

Yeah, unfortunately it's difficult to find monitors in my area and I've read the Nokia 445ZA is worth around $80 - $150 so I thought $100 might be a fair price.

Reply 4 of 16, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
sofakng wrote on 2021-05-24, 19:22:
He tried to plug it in and it didn't work but he said I can take it for free to see if I can fix it so I might do that. However […]
Show full quote
pentiumspeed wrote on 2021-05-24, 19:02:

Take the NEC XP17 too.

He tried to plug it in and it didn't work but he said I can take it for free to see if I can fix it so I might do that. However, the NEC XP17 only supports 1280x1024 (75 Hz) so do you think it's still worth taking even with the Nokia 445ZA being much better?

Miphee wrote on 2021-05-24, 19:18:

A lot of money for something he planned to throw away. These CRTs are usually free.

Yeah, unfortunately it's difficult to find monitors in my area and I've read the Nokia 445ZA is worth around $80 - $150 so I thought $100 might be a fair price.

Go with your gut feeling. If you are happy with what the Nokia puts out and the price go for it

Remember you are the only that is important regarding purchases of old kit. No one else is.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 5 of 16, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The Nokia will be decent, it is what I use myself (rescued from trash).

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 6 of 16, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sofakng wrote on 2021-05-24, 19:22:

Same here ! Hard to find CRT monitors that you can actually go and pick up in my country, most have long been destroyed.
Yes the Nokia should be good, have one a 19" model and it works well.
This is the best info could find on that Sigma Designs ErgoView 210. It requires a BNC to VGA cable, hope it comes with one....
http://web.archive.org/web/20000831070131/htt … rs/Sigma07.html

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 7 of 16, by sofakng

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for that information! I was looking at the original link (http://www.nashville.net/~griffin/monitors/Sigma07.html) but it didn't work and I couldn't use archive.org for some reason.

It looks like the Nokia is quite a bit better though ... (0.27mm vs 0.28mm dot pitch, 110 kHz vs 90 kHz, etc).

I'll probably just take the Nokia then since it's the best of the bunch. Hopefully it turns out to be decent for the price!

Reply 8 of 16, by fool

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Very good choice! I'm currently sitting in the place of origin, ex Nokia monitor factory.

Last edited by fool on 2021-05-25, 13:25. Edited 1 time in total.

Toshiba T8500 desktop
SAM/CS9233 Wavetable Synthesizer daughterboard
Coming: 40-pin 8MB SIMM kit, CS4232 ISA wavetable sound card

Reply 10 of 16, by sofakng

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've picked up the Nokia 445ZA tonight but it has a broken base:

IMG_2724.jpeg
Filename
IMG_2724.jpeg
File size
56.72 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Here is the bottom of the monitor:

IMG_2725.jpeg
Filename
IMG_2725.jpeg
File size
27.93 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Does anybody know if I can purchase a replacement or if anything else works?

Reply 11 of 16, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Epoxy. The type that comes in two tubes and you mix it together. Make sure it is for Plastics
You should still be able to use the monitor (rest it on a good big book) until the epoxy fully cures (can take up to 2 days)

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 13 of 16, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If the base is ABS you can use acetone to weld it together.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 14 of 16, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Tiido wrote on 2021-05-26, 02:12:

If the base is ABS you can use acetone to weld it together.

Yep if it is.
added: there are some very good ABS glues usually found in the plumbing department of most hardware stores..

sofakng wrote on 2021-05-26, 02:01:

I've thought about that but do you think epoxy can hold such a heavy monitor?

Actually the rest of the base holds the monitor, the broken tab just locks monitor into the base. The right epoxy will glue that lock tab back.
The trick it to find the glue that matches the plastic. Not knowing the exact plastic type then leads to using a 2 part epoxy special to plastics.
You could also drill out the base to the monitor bottom mount and use micro nuts+bolts to attach one to the other.
The odds of finding a replacement base is same as winning a lottery......

Reply 16 of 16, by sofakng

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

One last question ... any idea if there is a service menu on this monitor to show the hours used?

EDIT: I found a service manual for the pro model (445 Pro) and the same service menu instructions work. However, my monitor shows '0' for all hours so I know that can't be right.

EDIT2: Supposedly this monitor is actually new old-stock so the 0 hour count might be correct. If so, that's great news for me!