VOGONS

Reply 20 of 23, by Jonsey74

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Myduck wrote on 2022-08-28, 23:13:
Hi Jonsey, if you still have your Compaq with the same problem, maybe I have a solution for you (or maybe to other people with t […]
Show full quote
Jonsey74 wrote on 2021-05-25, 20:16:
Hello, […]
Show full quote

Hello,

i bought an Compaq Presario CDS 522. Nice little Computer.

The Problem is when you turn on the Computer, no Picture appears but the PC works in the background. The CRT monitor is running but there is no writing or anything like that on it. It has no HDD but you can boot MS-DOS with a floppy disk.
If someone has a solution or can help me in any other way, I would be very grateful.

THX
MFG

Jonsey74

Hi Jonsey, if you still have your Compaq with the same problem, maybe I have a solution for you (or maybe to other people with the same problem).

You need to keep in mind that working on these computer monitors can be EXTREMELY DANGEROUS, so proceed at your own risk!
Before touching anything, safely check and if necessary discharge the power supply main big capacitors and high voltage from the CRT... there are plenty of info on how to do that over the internet....

I recently bought one of these all in ones (524) with the exact same problem. On my computer the problem was related to the CRT neck board (the small board that attaches to the tube), there was a 100uF 25V small capacitor that was shorted and thus preventing any video output to the screen.

Maybe that could also be the problem with your computer, I think it's worth a try.
Check all capacitors in the CRT neck board with a multimeter in the Ohms scale and see if there are any with very low resistance (you must remove them from the board or lift one of the legs first), or just change them by new ones.

Hope that helps

Thanks, i will try that.

Reply 21 of 23, by Jonsey74

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Hi Jonsey, if you still have your Compaq with the same problem, maybe I have a solution for you (or maybe to other people with t […]
Show full quote
Hello, […]
Show full quote

Hello,

The Problem is when you turn on the Computer, no Picture appears but the PC works in the background. The CRT monitor is running but there is no writing or anything like that on it. It has no HDD but you can boot MS-DOS with a floppy disk.
If someone has a solution or can help me in any other way, I would be very grateful.

THX
MFG

Jonsey74

Hi Jonsey, if you still have your Compaq with the same problem, maybe I have a solution for you (or maybe to other people with the same problem).

You need to keep in mind that working on these computer monitors can be EXTREMELY DANGEROUS, so proceed at your own risk!
Before touching anything, safely check and if necessary discharge the power supply main big capacitors and high voltage from the CRT... there are plenty of info on how to do that over the internet....

I recently bought one of these all in ones (524) with the exact same problem. On my computer the problem was related to the CRT neck board (the small board that attaches to the tube), there was a 100uF 25V small capacitor that was shorted and thus preventing any video output to the screen.

Maybe that could also be the problem with your computer, I think it's worth a try.
Check all capacitors in the CRT neck board with a multimeter in the Ohms scale and see if there are any with very low resistance (you must remove them from the board or lift one of the legs first), or just change them by new ones.

Hope that helps

Hi MyDuck,

can you tell/show me wich Capacitor on your Neck Board was Defective? Is there a Listing what Caps go in the Neck Board?

Attachments

• IMG_20220831_204809.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_20220831_204809.jpg
    File size
    1.19 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    Neck Board CDS 522
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 22 of 23, by Myduck

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jonsey74 wrote on 2022-08-31, 19:00:
Show full quote
Hello, […]
Show full quote

Hello,

THX
MFG

Jonsey74

Hope that helps

Hi MyDuck,

can you tell/show me wich Capacitor on your Neck Board was Defective? Is there a Listing what Caps go in the Neck Board?

Hello Jonsey, I'm not 100% sure but I think you are looking at this capacitor:

file.php?mode=view&id=147160

It's a 100uF 25V capacitor. To test it, take it out of the board and test with a multimeter in the Ohms range and see... if the resistance is very low it is likely shorted.

Hope that helps.

Attachments

• 20221007_223917.jpg
    Filename
    20221007_223917.jpg
    File size
    1.18 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 23 of 23, by Pravnuk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Caluser2000 wrote on 2021-05-26, 05:47:

Folk have replaced the CRT with LCDs on these...

Sorry for digging up an old thread, but I have a Compaq Presario 460 with a large scratch on the screen. Do you have any more information on how they conducted the replacement?