VOGONS

First post, by bofh.fromhell

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I do like my Abit's.
Cant even remember which model was my first one, but I certainly remember the great ones.
And the KR7A was absolutely among those!
So when I found another one in need of some tender care I just had to grab it.
And at about €3 + shipping (and in box too!) it looks like I got a bargain.

rH4A76Mm.jpg8x7S8TLm.jpg

Sold as "posting but not booting".
I guess we all know what that means.
Yup, "bad caps™".
And a lot of them too:

45RIzqdl.jpg

Yea that's 32 more or less bad caps.
4 more Teapos to replace (they look OK).
5 Rubycons and 2 Nichicon's that seem to work just fine.

Not gonna burden you with in-progress pics, so here are the "after" shots.
A pretty board indeed, looks almost brand new!
No scratches, ugly corrosion or other smears.
I reckon this board was put in a case then not messed with for a long time.

3zYMHYpl.jpg

A chipset-fan that doesn't make a racket, can't remember last time I had one of those.
Looks almost like new:

7AR9rurl.jpg

The memoryslots are very tight, and the clips are intact.
Also very pink IDE connectors, were ATA133 connectors always pink?

bEcsIp0l.jpg

2 "beercan" Nichicons and a couple of rubycons do the heavy lifting.
Metal lever on the socket is an upgrade compared to my other KR7A (v1.0).
And I like the hologram protection strip, barely scratched btw:

QEgXBnIl.jpg

The board makes no mention of what version it is, and the label is in a different spot compared to my v1.0:

wOq99y8l.jpg

I guess the green "KR7A-133" sticker is enough info.
VT8233A SB compared to the VT8233 on the v1.0

BW6PHAhl.jpg

A neat feature on the underside..
A small piece of plastic (tape?) protecting the battery poles.
First time I see that on a motherboard.
There's another one under 2 of the remaining Teapo caps next to the IDE slots.

ISl6juWl.jpg

I guess all that remains is to add some glitter and test it out!
Flashed the lastest betabios I could find (EJ).
Dropped in the fastest CPU it can semi-officially support: Tbred-B 2200+
And 2 sticks of memory that can handle the tightest timings the board can do at 133MHz FSB:

RSMLSqkl.jpg

The results?
Well XP-SP3 flies like it should, and zero instabilities so far.
My test GPU's passes all tests with SBA and other features enabled.
I guess its sorted then.
Well 4 more Teapo's to go, had to order them.

Now if I only had a way to max out those ATA133 slots.....!

Reply 1 of 32, by soggi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
bofh.fromhell wrote on 2021-05-29, 21:24:

And at about €3 + shipping (and in box too!) it looks like I got a bargain.

Great find, I'm also collecting ABIT motherboards in some way.

Also very pink IDE connectors, were ATA133 connectors always pink?

I guess they were orange, once - looks like they are faded by UV radiation.

The board makes no mention of what version it is ...

Usually ABIT boards have a small sticker on the last ISA/PCI slot and a marking on the underside (integrated into the board's coating). F.e. for the ABIT BP6 the sticker says "BP6-0K V1.0" or "BP6-0K V1.1" and the printing on the underside says "V0.4" or "V0.41".

If you still need the latest (beta) BIOS for the board, it can be found on my ABIT BIOS page like all other latest ABIT BIOSes - CX from 2002/11/18 is the latest final and EJ from (2003/10/14) the latest beta version.

kind regards
soggi

Vintage BIOSes, firmware, drivers, tools, manuals and (3dfx) game patches -> soggi's BIOS & Firmware Page

soggi.org on Twitter - talent borrows, genius steals...

Reply 4 of 32, by nd22

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Great board! I still got my original KR7A that I bought back in 2002 with Duron 1300! Abit made such fantastic boards! I am also collecting every Abit board, graphic card etc and I can get my hands on! I have absolutely no experience in soldering but this skill is absolutely required for collectors!
PS: for soggi - your website is a real treasure!

Reply 5 of 32, by soggi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
nd22 wrote on 2021-05-31, 09:06:

PS: for soggi - your website is a real treasure!

Thank you very much! But don't forget evasive, he's also doing great work for years or even decades. Some of my work bases on his work and vice versa. 😀

BTW oh no, I have to create a ABIT KR7A spec page, because the pictures are so good that I can read the IC's printings... xD

kind regards
soggi

Vintage BIOSes, firmware, drivers, tools, manuals and (3dfx) game patches -> soggi's BIOS & Firmware Page

soggi.org on Twitter - talent borrows, genius steals...

Reply 8 of 32, by IBMFan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Or just buy a board that doesn't have these caps. Or only replace the ones that are actually faulty. Blindly replacing everything is just bad practice and shouldn't be encouraged. Diagnostics first, replacements second. He should replace all power components as well because they fail just as many times as caps. Equally pointless. Learning basic diagnostics is the way to go. Replacing everything because "bad name" is not. BTW Teapo isn't even half bad. Cheap but decent, certainly not Fuhjyyu-category. Hipro (HP, IBM) uses them a lot and those are quality PSUs. Even Atari 2600 models have them.
But hey, it's OP's time&money.

Reply 9 of 32, by evasive

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Taepo, the same brand that took out the mains fuse from my house because I thought the ones on the primary side of that PSU would be fine, as they were reported to be reputable. Wrong. They take a bit longer to break but 10+ years is ample time. Recap fully.

Reply 10 of 32, by cde

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
IBMFan wrote on 2021-05-31, 12:26:

Or just buy a board that doesn't have these caps. Or only replace the ones that are actually faulty. Blindly replacing everything is just bad practice and shouldn't be encouraged. Diagnostics first, replacements second. He should replace all power components as well because they fail just as many times as caps. Equally pointless. Learning basic diagnostics is the way to go. Replacing everything because "bad name" is not. BTW Teapo isn't even half bad. Cheap but decent, certainly not Fuhjyyu-category. Hipro (HP, IBM) uses them a lot and those are quality PSUs. Even Atari 2600 models have them. But hey, it's OP's time&money.

If a capacitor goes bad, the whole motherboard can be toast because a short is created. It is not possible to know in advance which capacitor will go bad until it is too late, visual inspection by itself is not enough, and it is usually not possible to measure the capacitance with a multimeter without desoldering it (because it is connected to other components which influences the measurement). Henceforth bofh.fromhell's decision is entirely justified.

About buying another board: all boards from this era have potentially defective capacitors. Again even capacitors that look visually fine can be defective, I've encountered this situation more than once. A full recapping is the only way to be completely safe; it is dangerous to power the board before the replacement is made.

Reply 12 of 32, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Aren't they 2nd tier elcos?
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/power-su … 101,4193-5.html
These are last week replacements.

DSCN3306.JPG
Filename
DSCN3306.JPG
File size
901.28 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Brand doesn't matter if the overall circuit design is crap. If it's good then even mediocre elcos can do their thing for a long time.
Teapos are usually good in low power-low heat environment.

Reply 13 of 32, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Teapo is relatively good in anything that isn't a GPU or PC motherboard. I've seen them usually used in OG Xbox PSUs and those fared well, and in some be quiet! PSUs (which are of good quality) as well.
On the other hand, quite a handful of MSI's socket 462, 478, 754, 775, 939 and AM2 were almost filled to the brim with Teapo caps that loved to go bad.

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 14 of 32, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
IBMFan wrote on 2021-05-31, 09:54:

Waaay too much time and money spent on a mediocre board. Easier to just buy a flawless one.

IBMFan wrote on 2021-05-31, 12:26:

Or just buy a board that doesn't have these caps. Or only replace the ones that are actually faulty. Blindly replacing everything is just bad practice and shouldn't be encouraged. Diagnostics first, replacements second. He should replace all power components as well because they fail just as many times as caps. Equally pointless. Learning basic diagnostics is the way to go. Replacing everything because "bad name" is not. BTW Teapo isn't even half bad. Cheap but decent, certainly not Fuhjyyu-category. Hipro (HP, IBM) uses them a lot and those are quality PSUs. Even Atari 2600 models have them.
But hey, it's OP's time&money.

I have a different opinion on some of your statements.
In my opinion it is not possible to knowingly buy a flawless version of this mainboard.
In my opinion it is good practice to replace at least all wet electrolytic capacitors used for filtering in step-down converters on 20+ year old consumer hardware.

Especially wet electrolytic capacitors degrade over time. Not only the electrolyte and the anode (which can often be reformed) but also the rubber seal and in rare cases the container.
This is why especially a wet electrolytic capacitor can appear 100% functional in electric measurements but fail soon after.
Adequately determining the status of an individual capacitor requires disassembly of the capacitor, not just electric measurements. Disassembly of capacitors commonly used in consumer electronics is destructive so it is pointless.
While some capacitors are designed for those effects to only become relevant after many decades the sort of capacitor normally used in consumer computer hardware will usually not be intentionally constructed in such a way.
This is why I would argue that after it has long exceeded its life expectancy even a visually flawless motherboard with full functionality that has been handled properly can be damaged and fail without warning.

Wet electrolytic capacitors age worse than transistors, coils and diodes - assuming they're all operated within specification.
A degraded capacitor will often put additional stress on other components in a circuit like a step-down converter, thus increasing the probability of catastrophic failure.
This is why I would argue it is not recommendable to wait for hardware to show signs of failure before replacing parts that have surpassed their intended life time. (I know this is not a point you have been arguing!)
It is also why I would argue that replacing other parts of step-down converters on hardware that has failed from bad VRM capacitors is actually not pointless. However since at least for a novice and advanced beginners common through hole capacitors are often easier to identify and remove/replace than parts like surface mounted transistors, diodes and controlling ICs replacing only the capacitors and relying on the rest to still be functional is often more feasible. I will agree that this is preference.

I completely agree that 'Teapo' does not equal 'bad', especially with more recent products!
Also as stated before after 20+ years I would not view any capacitor on consumer hardware as not suspect.
However Teapo are known among other brands to often fail in applictaions that require higher quality capacitors on hardware of the late 90s to the late 00s.
Hence it makes sense to be extra suspicious of capacitors of certain brands in certan applications used on hardware from a certain time.
Since capacitors are comparatively cheap and since in many cases proper electrical inspection already requires unsoldering it only makes sense to just replace those capacitors even if some are (as of yet) still within their specified values.
In my opinion the low cost and (in comparison to individual diagnostic of every single capacitor) low effort of replacing through hole capacitors makes a complete recap more feasible than exhaustive diagnostics.
I will also agree that not checking other parts of a failed a failed VRM circuit after a recap is not acceptable in a professional repair job. However I think we both agree the value of this board does not warrant exhaustive diagnostics.

Reply 15 of 32, by AlexZ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
cde wrote on 2021-05-31, 15:22:

About buying another board: all boards from this era have potentially defective capacitors. Again even capacitors that look visually fine can be defective, I've encountered this situation more than once. A full recapping is the only way to be completely safe; it is dangerous to power the board before the replacement is made.

I have EpoX 8K5A2+ board that is visually ok, no bulged capacitors but isn't stable with more than 1 memory sticks or Barton CPUs. This motherboards was designed so that hot air from CPU heat sink avoids capacitors. On the other hand I have motherboards that have a few bulged capacitors (but no leakage) and seem to be ok. It seems to me the best buy are average boards from pensioners who barely used their computers and sell their old computers very cheap. I would recommend to everyone to buy an extra board for their CPU.

Pentium III 900E, ECS P6BXT-A+, 384MB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce FX 5600 128MB, Voodoo 2 12MB, 80GB HDD, Yamaha SM718 ISA, 19" AOC 9GlrA
Athlon 64 3400+, MSI K8T Neo V, 1GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 7600GT 512MB, 250GB HDD, Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS

Reply 16 of 32, by IBMFan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Okay, I accept the points. Also, do repair technicians replace everything to fix a defective part or do they find the defective part and replace it?
I know it's a hobby so to each their own. I still believe in diagnostics first.

Reply 17 of 32, by bofh.fromhell

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
IBMFan wrote on 2021-05-31, 19:07:

Okay, I accept the points. Also, do repair technicians replace everything to fix a defective part or do they find the defective part and replace it?
I know it's a hobby so to each their own. I still believe in diagnostics first.

I'm sure that finding the specific component that is causing whatever troubles you are having and replacing just that is fine if you are on a super tight budget.
For me tho the most annoying part is the desoldering (no desoldering gun yet), and since you cant really get a decent measurement on a capacitor in circuit you might aswell replace and be happy.

I do have an ESR meter and could verify that most, not all, caps I replaced were in fact really bad.
Also an easy optical inspection showed the telltale signs of "Bad-Caps" i.e. the now familiar bulges.
And the board pre-fix was so unstable that plugging in the CPU fan while running resulted in a reboot (first time I see that 🤣).

And I'm not a repair technician, very far from it.
Just a happy amateur that don't mind spending some time rescuing a very sad and old motherboard from the recycler.

Reply 18 of 32, by bofh.fromhell

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cde wrote on 2021-05-31, 07:39:

Great post! Could you kindly share your technique for replacing caps? I have recapped a KT7A but it was a very difficult process , in particular the removal of the old capacitors.

A decent iron helps a LOT, and a good tip on it.
Add some flux, heat one leg at a time and "walk" the component out from the board.
Should require almost no force to pull out with the solder melted, don't force it.
As for cleaning the holes I just put the iron in the hole on one side on the board and the solder-sucker on the other side.
If that doesn't work try swapping sides.
If that still doesn't work add some new solder and try a braid instead.

At least that's how I do it.
I'm sure it violates some rules, but I've yet to ruin anything.