VOGONS

First post, by sofakng

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've setting up my IBM PC 350 which has a Pentium 166 but I'm upgrading to a Pentium MMX 200 or 233.

I purchased a Startech CF-to-IDE adapter to use with a spare Seagate ST1 2.5 GB but it's not working. I also tried using an IDE-to-USB adapter and it's acting strange so I think the CF card might be dead.

Should I purchase another Compact Flash card and use the adapter? If so, are there any recommendations?

Is there a better option? The cheap Hyperdisk DOM modules look convenient but seem awfully cheap and use MLC (which I've heard is bad). The SD to IDE adapters are also nice but I've heard lots of writes to SD cards kill them fast.

Does anybody know what chipset is used on this PC? (I looked all over the motherboard and can't find a chipset chip)

Reply 1 of 5, by auron

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

if it's this, it's a 430HX chipset. even though the article claims that an MMX upgrade is possible, i don't see any circuitry for that and the VRM spot isn't populated either. check if your board has anything in that spot, otherwise you'd probably have to get one of those rare overdrives.

as for the CF card, that's quite an expensive adapter for something that didn't wind up working, maybe return it, get some working old HDD and call it a day? otherwise, new CF cards should still be readily available.

Reply 2 of 5, by sofakng

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for the reply ... Yes, that's the same model I have. (IBM PC 350, 6587-90U)

I think that article is referring to the Wikipedia article about the IBM PCs. It mentions these models coming with "up to" a Pentium 233 MMX.

What spot on the motherboard are you referring to for the VRM?

I have a Pentium 233 MMX I was going to plug in soon but I don't want to fry it or the motherboard of course...

EDIT: I actually posted this question a few days ago over here: Does this IBM PC 350 support Pentium MMX 233? (re: 200 MHz maximum speed?)

Reply 3 of 5, by auron

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

those two rows of solder points here, where "VRM" is silkscreened: https://ancientelectronics.files.wordpress.co … 8.jpg?w=2000&h=

well pentium mmx requires ~2.8V while the regular pentiums were ~3.3V or often even ~3.5V for the pentium 166/200, so it's for the best you didn't just plug it in.

as for the fan question, the case fan should be sufficient with that heatsink.

Reply 4 of 5, by sofakng

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Here is my motherboard:

IMG_2789.jpg
Filename
IMG_2789.jpg
File size
1.76 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

It looks like the one in the picture but I don't see any empty VRM pads?

This post seems to suggest it supports it: My IBM PC 330

...but I don't know the revision of the motherboard he was using.

Reply 5 of 5, by auron

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

well those solder points are for the VRM module connector that some boards would have.

maybe just use the thing as-is instead of already worrying about upgrades? pentium 166 to pentium 233 mmx wasn't quite an earth-shattering upgrade IMO.