VOGONS

Reply 20 of 52, by FAMICOMASTER

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

"1080 Ti" and "Old video card..."
I'm still using a 1050 Ti in my fastest machine!

I was hoping for a more interesting thread, I did this a lot way back when. Get an old Pentium 4 board running Windows 7 and slap really ancient AGP/PCI video cards in to see what they do. I have a Socket 478 board with ISA but I never got around to trying any VGA boards with it.

For the record, even without drivers the Matrox MGA Millenia with the memory upgrade works really well in Windows 7

Reply 21 of 52, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's counter-productive to use hardware below DirectX10 in Windows 10 environment.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 22 of 52, by astonsmith

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
FAMICOMASTER wrote on 2021-06-06, 05:04:

I was hoping for a more interesting thread, I did this a lot way back when. Get an old Pentium 4 board running Windows 7 and slap really ancient AGP/PCI video cards in to see what they do. I have a Socket 478 board with ISA but I never got around to trying any VGA boards with it.

That's what I was expecting this thread to be. (I don't currently have a dedicated GPU, only the Intel 630 on-CPU-die.)

I did once use my old TNT2 M64 PCI (my first GPU) to troubleshoot a video issue on an 2011 Athlon PC, but that's not really as extreme. We need like, the oldest PCI GPU that ever existed on the newest PCI supporting motherboard and modern OS. Or even ISA.

Reply 23 of 52, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The thread title is old video cards on new systems, with everyone having their own idea of what "old" and "new" are then it would seem pretty flexible to me. Note that the thread title does not have "very" at the beginning, not that it matters.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 24 of 52, by fosterwj03

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I had given this issue a lot of thought lately given the market prices of new and recent dedicated GPUs. I felt that I needed a GPU with much better performance than the integrated graphics at a price point less than $100 to make the purchase worth the trouble. I didn't find a lot of options at that price point.

Unfortunately, all of my older cards have worse or equal performance compared to the integrated graphics, so they didn't make sense. Ultimately, I had to wait patiently for a good deal on the GTX 960 I bought last week. I just wish circumstances were different.

Reply 25 of 52, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It should be noted, that GeForce GTX 280 is already 13 years old. Originally launched in June 2008.

Reply 26 of 52, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That reminds me, got one of those in pieces needing a reflow. Didn't feel any urgency when I got it for free 5 years ago, because it was a bit past good then. I am more likely to redeploy "experienced" GPUs if they are midrangey ones that don't need enhanced power arrangements or sound like a jet engine.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 27 of 52, by fosterwj03

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
astonsmith wrote on 2021-06-06, 12:57:

That's what I was expecting this thread to be. (I don't currently have a dedicated GPU, only the Intel 630 on-CPU-die.)

I did once use my old TNT2 M64 PCI (my first GPU) to troubleshoot a video issue on an 2011 Athlon PC, but that's not really as extreme. We need like, the oldest PCI GPU that ever existed on the newest PCI supporting motherboard and modern OS. Or even ISA.

I have a number of really old PCI graphics cards that I've tested with Windows 3.0 (ATI Mach32, Tseng ET4000, Matrox Impression+, Matrox Millennium, CL GD-5446) that all work with an Intel B75 motherboard. I suspect that they would work with even newer boards with either PCI slots (using an integrated PCI-E bridge chip) or using a PCI-E slot adapter. The hard part is finding manufacturer or OS-provided drivers for these old cards. All of these cards appear on the Windows 2000 HCL (and likely supported by Windows XP as well). The manufactures stopped supporting these cards by that time.

Reply 28 of 52, by FAMICOMASTER

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2021-06-06, 07:16:

It's counter-productive to use hardware below DirectX10 in Windows 10 environment.

On paper it is counterproductive to use a deprecated operating system such as Windows 9x, 2000, XP, Vista, or 7.

It's not about using it for any purpose, it's just for fun to see if it works.

Reply 29 of 52, by FAMICOMASTER

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Many industrial computers still have ISA slots. The most recent I found was an Intel Core I series 4th generation board that still had a lone 16 bit ISA slot at the end of the board. If they weren't so expensive I'd love to have one and jam my TVGA8900C in it!
I've got a Zenith EGA/VGA board as well, I wonder how it would react to such a thing.

Reply 30 of 52, by Disruptor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DosFreak wrote on 2021-06-05, 13:57:

GPU: ASUS ROG GeForce GTX 1080 Ti DirectX 12 STRIX-GTX1080TI-O11G-GAMING 11GB

I'm using a Radeon HD 5770 in my current PC (Intel 4770k) which is much older than your GeForce GTX 1080 Ti.
So I cannot consider your graphics card as retro and due to the current graphics card situation not even as old.

Please move this thread to another forum.

Reply 32 of 52, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's not about using it for any purpose

Actually, it's directly implied in the first post. With DX10 hardware you can squeeze some partial video acceleration on modern codecs via shader units and quite a lot of popular stuff is still compatible (CS:GO, Dota 2, Fortnite, GTAV, Rocket League, etc).

Reply 33 of 52, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My current graphics card is a GeForce 210, but I guess it's not OVCONS because my motherboard is equally old (socket 1155, G530)

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 34 of 52, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
FAMICOMASTER wrote on 2021-06-06, 21:11:

Many industrial computers still have ISA slots. The most recent I found was an Intel Core I series 4th generation board that still had a lone 16 bit ISA slot at the end of the board. If they weren't so expensive I'd love to have one and jam my TVGA8900C in it!
I've got a Zenith EGA/VGA board as well, I wonder how it would react to such a thing.

I would think they would probably work. The only bad thing about most of those boards past s478 is that they don't support DMA on the ISA slot.

I'm still on the lookout for the one PIAGP (PCI / ISA / AGP) CPU card with with an LGA775 socket. I've never seen one for sale or even a report of anybody running one.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 35 of 52, by soggi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
"1080 Ti" and "Old video card..." I'm still using a 1050 Ti in my fastest machine! […]
Show full quote

"1080 Ti" and "Old video card..."
I'm still using a 1050 Ti in my fastest machine!

For the record, even without drivers the Matrox MGA Millenia with the memory upgrade works really well in Windows 7

Had the same thoughts...have a GeForce 8400GS in the fastest working machine and some Radeon 9800 in the second fastest...fastest working video cards I have are Radeon HD 4850 and Radeon HD 7750...so a 1080 TI is freaking hot new stuff!!!

kind regards
soggi

Vintage BIOSes, firmware, drivers, tools, manuals and (3dfx) game patches -> soggi's BIOS & Firmware Page

soggi.org on Twitter - talent borrows, genius steals...

Reply 36 of 52, by bloodem

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

These are tough times. I have an RTX 2060 in my main Ryzen PC, and I actually capped the max temperature to 65 degrees in MSI Afterburner. Once it reaches this temperature, the boost frequency gradually decreases. 😀
Basically I want to make sure that I'm doing everything I can so that it doesn't die anytime soon. 😀))) It's still within the warranty period, but if it were to suddenly die, I'm pretty sure that instead of replacing the card, they would just give me the money back (which was 320 euros almost two years ago). 😁 When it's in stock (which rarely happens), my card is over 750 euros now. Insane!

1 x PLCC-68 / 2 x PGA132 / 5 x Skt 3 / 9 x Skt 7 / 12 x SS7 / 1 x Skt 8 / 14 x Slot 1 / 5 x Slot A
5 x Skt 370 / 8 x Skt A / 2 x Skt 478 / 2 x Skt 754 / 3 x Skt 939 / 7 x LGA775 / 1 x LGA1155
Current PC: Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Backup PC: Core i7 7700k

Reply 37 of 52, by nd22

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Since when 1080Ti is old?
I still use my sandy bridge as my daily driver and is 10 years old!
2600k+ 16gb ram + asus p67 deluxe + geforce 660ti does NOT feel in any way slow or old! Many people do not consider even LGA 775 to be old as still use Core 2 quad as day to day systems! Personally I believe that starting with LGA 1156 we are in the modern era!

Reply 38 of 52, by paradigital

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
nd22 wrote on 2021-06-07, 07:19:

Since when 1080Ti is old?
I still use my sandy bridge as my daily driver and is 10 years old!
2600k+ 16gb ram + asus p67 deluxe + geforce 660ti does NOT feel in any way slow or old! Many people do not consider even LGA 775 to be old as still use Core 2 quad as day to day systems! Personally I believe that starting with LGA 1156 we are in the modern era!

As long as you aren't expecting to play the latest games (or the latest games in HD, QHD or 4K resolutions) then a lot of the time you can get away with Sandy Bridge or newer. My old, old PC (passed down to the other half) makes do just fine for anything she wants to play, with an Ivy Bridge CPU and a GTX 970.

I agree, anything that is Core iX or newer is "modern", including video cards that came out since the advent of the platforms.

Reply 39 of 52, by FAMICOMASTER

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I would go so far as to say any Core2 series CPU should be considered "Modern," as it's about the oldest platform which can still smoothly run Windows 10 with full support and will still also be adequate for most tasks like web browsing, email, document editing, movies, etc.
I would say anything incapable of the basic features average Joe wants would be considered old.

Psh, DMA is overrated anyways. All you need is a framebuffer and a DAC. Run it all in software mode like the good old days.